2021 Trade Deadline Thread April 12, 3pm ET

Chimaira_Devil_#9

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

This apparently aired on NHL Newtork. I’m leaving it here because I am a sh!t stirrer and I want to watch some guys heads explode. 

Call me crazy but i think i'd make that trade.

Jack Eichel is a special player. He proved already that he can produce in the NHL and go over 80 pts.

Dahlin is also one of the best young dmen in the league and could be special.

Hughes, it's still all about expectations at this point again. Obviously we see there's potential. But I also see that in 5 years we could still be saying that he's just snake bitten or that he's a playmaker not a scorer.

Hischier is a good player but i think it's clear that he's not a special player that brings you to the next level. Dahlin is a dman and really not that far behind Hischier in points in their best season. 

8 minutes ago, MB3 said:

The Devils should immediately decline that trade. Jack Hughes fits better with the Devils window, and Eichel has 5 years left on his contract which goes up fast on a rebuilding team. 

I think there’s a good chance Eichel and Dahlin are the two best players in this trade, but I think the Devils have to dig their heels in and build around Hughes, Hischier, Smith and hopefully Luke Hughes after this draft.

Absolutely agree about the window. Eichel is basically the Hall situation again with a few more years added on, have to build around him quickly asap or he's gonna bounce and we already know he's miserable in Buffalo losing so he wouldn't be any happier here losing. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Absolutely agree about the window. Eichel is basically the Hall situation again with a few more years added on, have to build around him quickly asap or he's gonna bounce and we already know he's miserable in Buffalo losing so he wouldn't be any happier here losing. 

Exactly. fvck that. I’m not down with Hall 2.0. Roll with our guys and let the chips fall where they may.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Hischier is a good player but i think it's clear that he's not a special player that brings you to the next level. Dahlin is a dman and really not that far behind Hischier in points in their best season. 

Huh? That’s not clear to me at all. Nico could be a special player. Books not closed on him. A lot of pundits had him breaking out this season.

I decline that trade so fast. No need for Eichel’s contract and timeline. Roll with our boys. Much more satisfying when the winning happens when it’s our guys.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MB3 said:

The Devils should immediately decline that trade. Jack Hughes fits better with the Devils window, and Eichel has 5 years left on his contract which goes up fast on a rebuilding team. 

I think there’s a good chance Eichel and Dahlin are the two best players in this trade, but I think the Devils have to dig their heels in and build around Hughes, Hischier, Smith and hopefully Luke Hughes after this draft.

I agree with this, except maybe the Luke Hughes part. I’ll take him if he is the best available, but I wouldn’t draft him as security against an unproven Jack Hughes possibly wanting to leave here in like 9 years if there was a better player available. 

8 hours ago, devlman said:

Huh? That’s not clear to me at all. Nico could be a special player. Books not closed on him. A lot of pundits had him breaking out this season.

I decline that trade so fast. No need for Eichel’s contract and timeline. Roll with our boys. Much more satisfying when the winning happens when it’s our guys.

Well i sure hope so, not as if i don't want him to be but i just don't see it.

If i were to guess Nico is going to be a very solid 2way player that plays the right way and hover around 50-60 pts per season over his career. May have a few peak seasons where he goes to maybe 75.

41 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Hey look, we now have an extra first rounder to use to move up and snag Luke if need be.

If this is what this trade is largely based on, then it's a for sure a win.

I just can't remember the last time in the past 5 years teams moved up into the top 3 from trading 2 later picks (albeit one will be a top 6 most likely).

10 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Call me crazy but i think i'd make that trade.

Jack Eichel is a special player. He proved already that he can produce in the NHL and go over 80 pts.

Dahlin is also one of the best young dmen in the league and could be special.

Hughes, it's still all about expectations at this point again. Obviously we see there's potential. But I also see that in 5 years we could still be saying that he's just snake bitten or that he's a playmaker not a scorer.

yeah Buffalo is a losing team and Eichel with Dahlin are their leaders. Two walking keys to success. And they are close to their maximum(Eichel especially).  And Dahlin will get a long term this summer. Yeah, a very sensible decision to abandon  two centers on more reasonable controlled contracts in favor of fewer years with expensive deals. 
Man, how do you do it every time?

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, MB3 said:

and hopefully Clarke. Generally this is a very reasonable, correct logically, consistent remark.

15 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

If this is what this trade is largely based on, then it's a for sure a win.

I just can't remember the last time in the past 5 years teams moved up into the top 3 from trading 2 later picks (albeit one will be a top 6 most likely).

This is a special year. The scouts can't agree on anything. Someone considers Eklund the best, someone puts him in eighth place. There are no agreement with any top-8 prospect. The top 8 are very close to each other. If there is antrade for  improving the pick , it will be in this year.

Edited by Guadana

13 minutes ago, Guadana said:

and hopefully Clarke. Generally this is a very reasonable, correct logically, consistent remark.

This is a special year. The scouts can't agree on anything. Someone considers Eklund the best, someone puts him in eighth place. There are no agreement with any top-8 prospect. The top 8 are very close to each other. If there is antrade for  improving the pick , it will be in this year.

So what would run counter to trading our pick (likely top 5-6) and the Islanders first round pick we just received to push us into the top 3 picks if the talent is so close together in the top 8.  Might as well use our pick and trade the Islanders pick then for a known quantity.

7 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

So what would run counter to trading our pick (likely top 5-6) and the Islanders first round pick we just received to push us into the top 3 picks if the talent is so close together in the top 8.  Might as well use our pick and trade the Islanders pick then for a known quantity.

I’d do it immediately. 

10 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Because we have a specific need and a specific interest in a particular player. for example.

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’d do it immediately. 

Typically in most drafts, there is a drop-off in talent after the first 2-3 picks and then another one after the 5-7 pick.  If the talent is a giant grab bag of the top 6-8, then it makes more sense to stay pat instead of trading our newly acquired Islanders pick for a slight improvement.

On the other hand if we win the lottery and get into the top 3, then this is all moot.