2021 Trade Deadline Thread April 12, 3pm ET

Chimaira_Devil_#9

6 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I don't even know what you mean by that cause your sentence doesn't make any sense but whatever you attempted to do there, are you sure you want to do this? 

Steriodesign, verb, to compare any situation, in hockey or in life, to experiences with your past, current or future girlfriend. e.g. comparing the departure of Zajac and Palmieri to breaking up with your high school girlfriend, can you Steriodesign that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Guadana said:

Colorado spent 7 season for rebuild.
Chicago - 10 seasons.
Oilers - 13 seasons.
Toronto - 11 seasons. 
Blues - 6 years.
Carolina - 9 years.

There are good example of fast rebuild like Wash or Pens. But they had Ovie and Sid. And sometimes even Mcdavid can`t help. Rebuild is a long process. When Nico and Jack get into shape, and until Nico and Jack have permanent partners, the Devils will be in the rebild stage. Maybe with playoffs attempt, maybe not. The appearance of one player can immediately turn the game around. It's a question of who it will be-our prospect like Mercer or someone else. Or someone from the current players will be able to reach a fundamentally new level.

Including teams like Chicago and Carolina is disingenuous.  Both of those teams rebuilds were stymied for years by cheap owners.  It is no coincidence that Chicago started to dig itself out of its hole once Bill Wirtz died and his son Rocky took over.

Oilers rebuild has also taken forever because of historically bad management.  That likely added at least 5-7 years alone.

23 hours ago, Guadana said:

Chicago - 10 seasons.
Oilers - 13 seasons.
Toronto - 11 seasons. 
Blues - 6 years.
Carolina - 9 years.

There are good example of fast rebuild like Wash or Pens. But they had Ovie and Sid. And sometimes even Mcdavid can`t help. Rebuild is a long process. When Nico and Jack get into shape, and until Nico and Jack have permanent partners, the Devils will be in the rebild stage. Maybe with playoffs attempt, maybe not. The appearance of one player can immediately turn the game around. It's a question of who it will be-our prospect like Mercer or someone else. Or someone from the current players will be able to reach a fundamentally new level.

And none of those teams started that rebuild with a roster worst than our 2015 roster and prospect pool. I honestly never ever seen a worst team

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

And none of those teams started that rebuild with a roster worst than our 2015 roster and prospect pool. I honestly never ever seen a worst team

You’re just saying that because 2/3 of the roster never played in the NHL again after leaving the Devils...

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

You’re just saying that because 2/3 of the roster never played in the NHL again after leaving the Devils...

Given what Shero had to work with, I still don't know if another GM could've come in and done much better.  I know it's a results-oriented business, but it's really a shame that some perfectly fine moves by Shero that made tons of sense and seemed primed to pay off didn't...I always feel that he deserved better.

7 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Including teams like Chicago and Carolina is disingenuous.  Both of those teams rebuilds were stymied for years by cheap owners.  It is no coincidence that Chicago started to dig itself out of its hole once Bill Wirtz died and his son Rocky took over.

Oilers rebuild has also taken forever because of historically bad management.  That likely added at least 5-7 years alone.

Technically, we also struggled for the playoffs for several years and were not in the rebild. There are always reasons.

Hall's arrival and departure can be compared to the fate of Duchene in Colorado.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Given what Shero had to work with, I still don't know if another GM could've come in and done much better.  I know it's a results-oriented business, but it's really a shame that some perfectly fine moves by Shero that made tons of sense and seemed primed to pay off didn't...I always feel that he deserved better.

actually its not talked enough how incredible it was that we managed to make the playoffs in year 3 of that rebuild when you look at what he had to work with. Of course we technically shouldnt have been there if Panthers didnt sh!t the bed early in the year and without Hall's insane season but still.

On 4/8/2021 at 4:43 PM, Guadana said:

Chicago - 10 seasons.
Oilers - 13 seasons.
Toronto - 11 seasons. 
Blues - 6 years.
Carolina - 9 years.

That's a generously arbitrary list considering none of those teams were actually trying to rebuild for that period of time.  Was Toronto ever really trying to rebuild until Shanny brought his tank brigade there?  When did St. Louis ever have a six-year 'rebuild'?  They've been a pretty consistent playoff team at least - I guess you mean the post-lockout stretch where they had three bad years then made the playoffs and were a bubble team the next couple, I don't consider that a six year rebuild though.  A couple of those teams including Toronto to a degree were just inept more than actually trying to rebuild.

No teams in sports intentionally have more than five-year rebuilds anymore.  You can't really afford to with more entertainment dollar options for fans and a limited window before your top picks hit FA and make big bucks in the post-lockout NHL.  If a rebuild takes more than five years, the GM usually gets replaced by then a la Shero.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

That's a generously arbitrary list considering none of those teams were actually trying to rebuild for that period of time.  Was Toronto ever really trying to rebuild until Shanny brought his tank brigade there?  When did St. Louis ever have a six-year 'rebuild'?  They've been a pretty consistent playoff team at least - I guess you mean the post-lockout stretch where they had three bad years then made the playoffs and were a bubble team the next couple, I don't consider that a six year rebuild though.  A couple of those teams including Toronto to a degree were just inept more than actually trying to rebuild.

No teams in sports intentionally have more than five-year rebuilds anymore.  You can't really afford to with more entertainment dollar options for fans and a limited window before your top picks hit FA and make big bucks in the post-lockout NHL.  If a rebuild takes more than five years, the GM usually gets replaced by then a la Shero.

A little different in hockey, in that you can sign your key RFAs to long-term deals or bridge deals before they go unrestricted.  But yeah, obviously the idea is that the rebuild doesn’t take forever.

Shero wasn’t perfect, but definitely got some bad breaks...most notably, Cory falling apart.  But in his case, he inherited so little that I could’ve understood a case being made for him getting some more time.  He really didn’t help his cause by sticking with Hynes for as long as he did.  If Shero was guilty of anything, it was not having any Plan Bs when 2018-19 and 2019-20 went sideways...but at the same time, given that he still didn’t  have much in the way of real assets to move (and an expensive goalie who couldn’t be moved), outside of canning Hynes earlier, I’m not sure how much more he could’ve done.  

The fact that we got Blackwood, Bratt, Sharangovich, Maltsev, Bastian and Anderson all outside of the first round in the four drafts between ‘15-‘18 is a pretty good indication that management and scouting were doing a good job at rebuilding.  That’s arguably on par with our previous 4 drafts even if you count the 1st rounders from ‘11-‘14

When you look at some of the teams that had long and/or unsuccessful rebuilds, one thing they usually have in common is that they didn’t draft any meaningful contributors outside of their 1st rounders in the top 10 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 7:57 AM, mfitz804 said:

Steriodesign, verb, to compare any situation, in hockey or in life, to experiences with your past, current or future girlfriend. e.g. comparing the departure of Zajac and Palmieri to breaking up with your high school girlfriend, can you Steriodesign that?

Hmm, my dictionary reads, to compare any unfortunate situation to the failure of Lou lamoriello and his poor drafting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Why do people think there is a designated time period for a “rebuild”? There is so much chance involved that there is no way to determine how long it “should” take. 

Sure, but that doesn’t stop everyone from owners to fans calling for a front office’s head after four years or so (if not sooner), if a rebuild isn’t happening fast enough for their liking.  Not saying that it’s always right, just the reality.

5 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:
Nice and simple this one. 

I am not sure what Detroit gets out of this.  Loses a player , retains salary and only gets a 4th. 

I think they basically gain a 4th round pick just for helping Tampa ease their cap situation. That's what it looks like to me.

31 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

I think they basically gain a 4th round pick just for helping Tampa ease their cap situation. That's what it looks like to me.

I don’t know enough about their team to know if getting rid of that player was beneficial, or whether they needed to clear a roster spot. But yeah, basically they bought an extra pick by taking on salary. 

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t know enough about their team to know if getting rid of that player was beneficial, or whether they needed to clear a roster spot. But yeah, basically they bought an extra pick by taking on salary. 

Lashoff is an AHL player, who has had a few stints in the NHL. The most NHL games he has played in a season was 75 back in 2013-14. Since then he has played 29 NHL games. 

I just find it odd that Detroit was integral to the trade happening and could only get a 4th, but that could be the market.