2021 Trade Deadline Thread April 12, 3pm ET

Chimaira_Devil_#9

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

I gotta ask the stupid question: So we terminated Goose's contract, why doesn't it count against the cap? Mainly my question is why is buyout different than terminate the contract...

because Goose agreed to terminate the contract, otherwise it would of counted against the cap and he would of still been owed the money from the Devils.  Because he agreed to terminate the contract he wasn't owed anything going forward from us.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, titans04 said:

because Goose agreed to terminate the contract, otherwise it would of counted against the cap and he would of still been owed the money from the Devils.  Because he agreed to terminate the contract he wasn't owed anything going forward from us.

So the key is that it was mutual?

7 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Cant help but feel this sharing of the cap hit will be shutdown moving forward.

Seems like CBJ finally having a changing of the guard. Trading the captain is a big deal. Wouldn't be surprised if they clean house over the Sumner and try to build around Laine. I can't imagine Torts survives. 

5 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Seems like CBJ finally having a changing of the guard. Trading the captain is a big deal. Wouldn't be surprised if they clean house over the Sumner and try to build around Laine. I can't imagine Torts survives. 

I think i saw someone say that Foligno was a lock to re-sign we Columbus in the summer so who knows. 

Someone posted that Torts has already benched the 1st round pick.

47 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

More moves looking likely. I have been pleasantly surprised by Kulikov and was hoping we could keep him for next year. 

I hope they investigated it, but I can see him looking for a significant raise and a long term type deal, maybe it just couldn’t get done. 

6 hours ago, jagknife said:

I gotta ask the stupid question: So we terminated Goose's contract, why doesn't it count against the cap? Mainly my question is why is buyout different than terminate the contract...

As @titans04 said, the key is it being mutual.     If the Devils wanted to end Gusev's contract, and Gusev wanted to play it out...  they would have to buy him out.     However, given how late it is in the season, Gusev isn't giving up all that much cash wise, but gets to put himself in a position to actually play with Florida.  The hope there is he can regain his form and set himself up for a better contract than he would from being healthy scratches to end the season with NJ.

He stops counting against the cap because we stopped paying him and we don't have any cap recapturing penalties to worry about - so it's simply off the books.   Like Crawford.

This is covered in paragraph 14 of the Standard Play Contract in the CBA:

https://cdn.nhlpa.com/img/assets/file/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf   

14. The Club may also terminate this SPC upon written notice to the Player (but only after
obtaining Waivers from all other Clubs) if the Player shall at any time:
        (a) fail, refuse, or neglect to obey the Club's rules governing training and conduct of
              Players, if such failure, refusal or neglect should constitute a material breach of this SPC.
        (b) fail, refuse or neglect to render his services hereunder or in any other manner
              materially breach this SPC.

In the event of termination under Paragraph 14(a) or (b) the Player shall only be entitled
to compensation due to him to the earlier of the date such notice is personally delivered to him or
the date such notice is e-mailed to him.

Edited by aylbert
  • Like 1