2021 Trade Deadline Thread April 12, 3pm ET

Chimaira_Devil_#9

25 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Arguably Fitz's handling of Palmieri was worse than Shero's handling of Hall, because the injury thing like you said would have complicated any offseason attempt to trade him.  Plus Shero was more or less in he'd better win soon mode to save his job.  If the Devils were only going to try to lowball Palm and try to get him on the cheap in terms of re-signing him that wasn't ever gonna fly, they should have just moved him last deadline.  What was the point of keeping him around through 2021 on a bad team?

This is what I am wondering too.

12 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I don't even know what you are asking? 

I was simply saying Mac is going to be facing an even tougher task now all the people who can actually defend are gone. Which sucks for him. 

Breathe Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

And I’m just saying, he already had little to no protection and I don’t think it’s going to get worse, it already IS worse. 

3 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

So essentially it cost us to make our defense worse after the deadline

Lose Vat on waivers

Trade Kulikov for a 4th (cond. 3rd)

Give up a third for Slegwhatshisname from the Caps

In fairness, Vats has been bad enough that no one wanted to trade for him.  Also wasn't going to be re-signed after this season...the Devils are basically missing out on 16 games of Vats. 

I can see Fitz bringing back Kulikov...on that one we'll see.  But if he doesn't, at least he got something for him.

I mentioned elsewhere that the whole pick-for-someone-else's-expendable deal thing is getting a little old, but there's some reasons for hope with this guy...as long as he's healthy, I'm assuming he'll play in every game to close out the season, as he should.

5 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Arguably Fitz's handling of Palmieri was worse than Shero's handling of Hall, because the injury thing like you said would have complicated any offseason attempt to trade him.  Plus Shero was more or less in he'd better win soon mode to save his job.  If the Devils were only going to try to lowball Palm and try to get him on the cheap that wasn't ever gonna fly, they should have just moved him last deadline.

If Palms was having a more Palms-like year, maybe Fitz offers more...I think things just evolved differently than everyone involved thought that they would.  You had Palms sounding like he was ready to sign in the offseason, with the Devils going into "Let's wait and see" mode.  Then Palms is up and down (and not producing like he was previously) and looks off just enough that the Devils aren't as sure as committing to him as they might have been if he had been playing better. 

At any rate, let me see what he winds up signing for in the offseason.  I have a feeling Palms and his agent are going to be unpleasantly surprised.  

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

I think the answer here is not that Fitz got schooled or another GM called his bluff.  I really don't think they play those type of games with each other when you're talking about minor moves at this level.  Sekera apparently broke his foot blocking a shot in last nights game so the need for Vats in Dallas arose after he was already placed on waivers.      

Rangers played that game with the Devils in last year's draft with Schneider.  Albeit calling that a "minor move" is relative, GM's do indeed game each other.

Fitz could have held onto Vats until today, but blinked.  At worst, he doesn't get traded and we just play out the rest of the season with him in the lineup and get nothing.  Instead, he comes out of the lineup and we get nothing.  I would consider both of those outcomes about even, but I wish we could have gotten something.

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think things just evolved differently than everyone involved thought that they would.  You had Palms sounding like he was ready to sign in the offseason, with the Devils going into "Let's wait and see" mode.  Then Palms is up and down (and not producing like he was previously) and looks off just enough that the Devils aren't as sure as committing to him as they might have been if he had been playing better. 

At any rate, let me see what he winds up signing for in the offseason.  I have a feeling Palms and his agent are going to be unpleasantly surprised.  

Obviously and I thought maybe there was a 2% chance he would actually cash out before the deadline because he's had such a poor year, but the Devils had to know Palm was never likely to take some 3-12 fantasy deal or whatever they were offering.  It doesn't seem like there was any traction whatsoever on a deal because of differences on term, that wasn't because of Palm's year this season - it started in the offseason. 

I thought when they kept him they'd at least make a market value offer to retain him but that wasn't the case and maybe it'll turn out to be a good thing they didn't sign him but I'm a bit tired of just congratulating the team for avoiding bad deals while the team gets younger and worse.

If the Devils actually thought Palm would take a lowball deal they're fools.  If they didn't, then what was the point of hanging onto him through another rebuilding year?  Especially when they already cashed out on Coleman in a similar fashion.

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

Fitz could have held onto Vats until today, but blinked.  At worst, he doesn't get traded and we just play out the rest of the season with him in the lineup and get nothing.  Instead, he comes out of the lineup and we get nothing.  I would consider both of those outcomes about even, but I wish we could have gotten something.

I’ll be the first to admit, I have no idea why these moves are made sometimes, but it seems to me if he wasn’t waived, someone would have given a minor turd in a box (like a 7th), and getting something is better than nothing. But in the grand scheme, doesn’t really matter. 

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

In fairness, Vats has been bad enough that no one wanted to trade for him.  Also wasn't going to be re-signed after this season...the Devils are basically missing out on 16 games of Vats. 

I can see Fitz bringing back Kulikov...on that one we'll see.  But if he doesn't, at least he got something for him.

I mentioned elsewhere that the whole pick-for-someone-else's-expendable deal thing is getting a little old, but there's some reasons for hope with this guy...as long as he's healthy, I'm assuming he'll play in every game to close out the season, as he should.

If Palms was having a more Palms-like year, maybe Fitz offers more...I think things just evolved differently than everyone involved thought that they would.  You had Palms sounding like he was ready to sign in the offseason, with the Devils going into "Let's wait and see" mode.  Then Palms is up and down (and not producing like he was previously) and looks off just enough that the Devils aren't as sure as committing to him as they might have been if he had been playing better. 

Let's say Palmieri's production didn't drop like it did this year.  Why else should we keep a guy who is 6-10 years older than the supposed new "core" of the team?  His timeline simply doesn't match up to ours.  You can argue leadership qualities, but if he is getting passed over the captaincy for Nico and adding guys like Wood to the rotation of alternate captains, then that tells you everything that management thinks of how much of that he brings to the table.  

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’ll be the first to admit, I have no idea why these moves are made sometimes, but it seems to me if he wasn’t waived, someone would have given a minor turd in a box (like a 7th), and getting something is better than nothing. But in the grand scheme, doesn’t really matter. 

I'd rather have a 5% chance of getting something than 100% of getting nothing.

4 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

Well until next year when we trade roster players for AHL assets

This is why Holtz, Mercer, Hughes and this year's pick really have to work out for us.  I am tired of his seemingly endless merry-go-round.  I am done being the last resort for UFA's and being the team better teams use to help them with cap trouble by trading us peanuts for cap relief.

17 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Let's say Palmieri's production didn't drop like it did this year.  Why else should we keep a guy who is 6-10 years older than the supposed new "core" of the team?  His timeline simply doesn't match up to ours.  You can argue leadership qualities, but if he is getting passed over the captaincy for Nico and adding guys like Wood to the rotation of alternate captains, then that tells you everything that management thinks of how much of that he brings to the table.  

Nice to have some vets in the mix, and Palms has been a good representative on and off the ice...and no, not as good this year, but could put the puck in the net.  A good organizational guy.  He has worn the "A" at times too.  Nico is signed here long-term already and just seemed like the right guy as the right time to wear the "C"...I see that more as a belief in him, than not believing in Palms.  

As far as an actual offer goes, I'm thinking the Devils would've gone to three years...given all of the cap space, I could've lived with that.  I'm guessing Palms' camp wanted 4+, and still do.  I get the feeling he's not going to get it.  Maybe three years somewhere if he gets hot with the Isles...but if he doesn't do much with them, he's probably looking at show-me offers.  I just think GMs at the moment aren't as quick to sign 30+ year old UFA to long-term, non-cost-efficient deals as they once were.

EDIT:  I don't think he was being as lowballed as some think...I'm guessing the AAV included a minor raise, to $5-5.5 million per year, for a max of three years.  All speculation of course.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Nice to have some vets in the mix, and Palms has been a good representative on and off the ice...and no, not as good this year, but could put the puck in the net.  A good organizational guy.  He has worn the "A" at times too.  Nico is signed here long-term already and just seemed like the right guy as the right time to wear the "C"...I see that more as a belief in him, than not believing in Palms.  

As far as an actual offer goes, I'm thinking the Devils would've gone to three years...given all of the cap space, I could've lived with that.  I'm guessing Palms' camp wanted 4+, and still do.  I get the feeling he's not going to get it.  Maybe three years somewhere if he gets hot with the Isles...but if he doesn't do much with them, he's probably looking at show-me offers.  I just think GMs at the moment aren't as quick to sign 30+ year old UFA to long-term, non-cost-efficient deals as they once were.     

My point is not the dollars and cents being the issue, but more like what good is there to keep Palms in the mix?  Everyone, including fans, could guess Palmieri didn't want a 1-2 year deal.  His timeline just didn't match where ours was heading.  If we need a vet presence then we could always get one of those vets who always seem to sign here for 1-2 years because they simply have no place else to go a la Simmonds and Stafford.

Edited by DevsMan84

12 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I think the Devils were just doing Vat a favor by waiving him, obviously they couldn't get anything before today - and he would have had to be picked up by today to be eligible on someone's playoff roster.

his definition of being competitive is rather strange if that's the case. 

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

My point is not the dollars and cents or length being the issue, but more like what good is there to keep Palms in the mix?  Everyone, including fans, could guess Palmieri didn't want a 1-2 year deal.  His timeline just didn't match where ours was heading.  If we need a vet presence then we could always get one of those vets who always seem to sign here for 1-2 years because they simply have no place else to go a la Simmonds and Stafford.

How do we know that the Devils only offered a year or two though?  They might've offered three...think that would've been fair.  A vet with some good years left isn't the worst thing for kids to have in the lineup.

And, yeah I meant a vet that could still be productive...we don't know for sure yet that Palms doesn't still have solid years ahead of him (granted, three years would've been a risk)...I can't completely dismiss that Palms might be declining, but I don't believe that fully, today.  Simmonds and Stafford were just stiffs.  

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

How do we know that the Devils only offered a year or two though?  They might've offered three...think that would've been fair.  A vet with some good years left isn't the worst thing for kids to have in the lineup.

And, yeah I meant a vet that could still be productive...we don't know for sure yet that Palms doesn't still have solid years ahead of him (granted, three years would've been a risk)...I can't completely dismiss that Palms might be declining, but I don't believe that fully, today.  Simmonds and Stafford were just stiffs.  

I never said the Devils offered a 1 or 2 year deal.  I said Palmieri wasn't going to take a deal that short.

If Palmieri signs a 3-year deal, do you think he is going to score 20+ goals playing on the 3rd line wing if and of the guys like Holtz, Mercer, Foote work out along with guys who are with the team like Bratt by year 2 or 3?  By that point you are mostly keeping him around for that "leadership quality" that includes 1 playoff win in 6 seasons with the Devils.

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

That’s a really good trade for DET. 

I mean that’s a steal. If Vrana is half as good against other teams as he is against us, he was probably worth it on his own. 

Also, the level of meltdown going on here over a couple of spare parts defensemen is really amazing. Imagine we did that Hughes/Nico for Eichel/Dahlin trade...