2021 Trade Deadline Thread April 12, 3pm ET

Chimaira_Devil_#9

16 hours ago, nessus said:

The reason I don't think Fitzgerald handled the Palmieri situation poorly is that there were expectations this season that the Devils could fight for a playoff spot. And even if the team wasn't quite there, I much rather would have had Palmieri on board to come close to it than to give up on the season before it even started.

Instead, the team got slammed with COVID, Crawford bounced, and our best player was out for a good chunk of the season. We weren't anywhere close to a playoff spot, but it was definitely not wrong to think that things could have gone the other way. Some more luck on Hughes's side and a better season from Palms and without all of those aforementioned factors that slowed us down, and we could be looking at a much different situation.

Fitz still got a first for him. I honestly can't really complain about that.

I have a hard time believing that was the thought.  Given the amount of question marks on the team plus being placed in easily the toughest division in the NHL made our chances very unlikely.  Every single person outside of super-homer Devils land thought that the Devils would fall either 7th or 8th in the division.

23 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

We also have a history of signing "fringe" players to a one year contract, those players knowing full well they'll be traded somewhere at deadline. You're right about attracting UFA's to sign here. It's clear we're rebuilding & likely won't make playoffs.  I wish Fitz could land a Laine type trade. Zajac loves NJ (and the team). He'll sign a one year deal with us I believe.

What's crazy to me is the price teams are now willingly paying for size/grit (Savard/Foligno/Riley Nash/Josh Anderson/ Goodrow ('20_) Mantha) 

I just don't want the 1-year deal with Zajac because it leads to temptation to sign him to further 1-year deals.  He just need to cut all ties with him and move on.

I would love Laine here in NJ, but that would likely involve us saying goodbye to Nico.  I, personally, would make that trade but I know management would never trade our newly-minted captain for him.

37 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I just don't want the 1-year deal with Zajac because it leads to temptation to sign him to further 1-year deals.  He just need to cut all ties with him and move on.

I don't think so. That's the point of a 1 year deal...you're not committing long term. At this point it should be apparent the philosophy of management is the young guys are getting priority.

11 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I would love Laine here in NJ, but that would likely involve us saying goodbye to Nico.  I, personally, would make that trade but I know management would never trade our newly-minted captain for him.

Laine is  not totally out of the question. We have a couple 1sts (we could trade one) & couple interesting prospects other than 13 & 86. Of course we would need him to sign.  I get what you're saying about Zajac, but if he was still here, he would still be our best face-off man.  Just like when Greene left, he was in our top 3 D men.

I don’t want any part of Laine. Not that he isn’t a good player, but he seems like the kind of guy who is never happy with his team or his situation. To think he would be happy on New Jersey, where there is an extended history of guys not being happy, we’d be kidding ourselves. 

That’s true whether he signed an extension or he didn’t. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Laine is  not totally out of the question. We have a couple 1sts (we could trade one) & couple interesting prospects other than 13 & 86. Of course we would need him to sign.  I get what you're saying about Zajac, but if he was still here, he would still be our best face-off man.  Just like when Greene left, he was in our top 3 D men.

I don't think Columbus is willing to take just picks and prospects.  They lost PLD in the initial trade and they are likely going to lose Laine, so they are a little thin down the center.  Nico would be the most logical ask for them.  Frankly, if Laine is willing to sign with us for a good amount of years, I would be willing to part with Nico.

37 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I was going to say there is no point trading for Laine, as he is too old and when our guys peak he will be past it. Dude is 22! 

Feels like he has been in the league forever.

He seems like a miserable prick. I’d rather not trade assets for him so we can watch him sign with some other fvckface team at the first opportunity.

16 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

He seems like a miserable prick. I’d rather not trade assets for him so we can watch him sign with some other fvckface team at the first opportunity.

He's also got that reputation of when he's not scoring he's not doing anything. I haven't seen enough of him to say that for sure, but when he had a big slump a few years ago I remember it was a big deal up in Winnipeg. 

But on the other hand, a pure goal scorer is absolutely a need. I think it depends on the price and if he's signing long term. I'm not interested in trading Nico for him

• Like 2