2021 Trade Deadline Thread April 12, 3pm ET

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Am I the only one that hopes they trade Palms for a player rather than a pick? The Devils have quite a few prospects both in the team and in the AHL, but they could do with defensemen at the NHL level for the next couple of years while the AHL group develops.

1 minute ago, Aitchmack said:

Am I the only one that hopes they trade Palms for a player rather than a pick? The Devils have quite a few prospects both in the team and in the AHL, but they could do with defensemen at the NHL level for the next couple of years while the AHL group develops.

Problem is teams just don’t trade good defensemen. I don’t really want another Mirco Mueller type. Rather roll the dice in the draft. 

2 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

Definitely not opposed to a worthwhile player (especially a defenseman), just get the feeling it will be a middling prospect, as opposed to a right-now NHLer who can fill a need elsewhere.  Keep in mind that the team that trades for him might view him strictly as a rental...and he's a rental who is not having one of his better seasons.  I still think it's a second-rounder + some young player who might be mildly intriguing (say, a guy drafted fairly high a while back, but has yet to do a whole lot), but not much more.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Problem is teams just don’t trade good defensemen. I don’t really want another Mirco Mueller type. Rather roll the dice in the draft. 

I don't want another Muller either but there are quite a few teams up against the cap that need to subtract before they add. If Fitz trades Kulikov, Vats and Murray (or one or two of them) as well we're going to be very thin at the back end. Butcher & Carrick are the only two D with any NHL experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aitchmack said:

Am I the only one that hopes they trade Palms for a player rather than a pick?

Nope. We need another second round pick like I need a hole in the head. Gimme a fvcking roster player or a prospect that may be able to contribute.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It shouldn’t take a week to extract a 2 and a B prospect from someone. I hope.

I think Fitz just wants to turn over every rock and get as much as he possibly can...and not risk Palms getting hurt.  I understand him being as thorough as possible in this case.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aitchmack said:

I don't want another Muller either but there are quite a few teams up against the cap that need to subtract before they add. If Fitz trades Kulikov, Vats and Murray (or one or two of them) as well we're going to be very thin at the back end. Butcher & Carrick are the only two D with any NHL experience.

I would actually like to keep/extend Kulikov and Murray. Vatanen I would trade for a new Peter Dinklage cutout for the Rock. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I would actually like to keep/extend Kulikov and Murray. Vatanen I would trade for a new Peter Dinklage cutout for the Rock. 

FYI I can’t take your avatar, it actually makes me laugh every time!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

After listening to the latest 31 Thoughts podcast - it really sounds like Palms might be the "big fish" this year, especially since Hall's been hot trash this season.

Hope Fitz takes advantage!

That’s crazy. Who would’ve even thought that going into this year??

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

re:  the bolded, never say never, but I'd be surprised.  One can make the argument that if the return is nothing great (say, a 3rd rounder), then might as well hang onto him...but I say just get what you can.  The only way I could see him staying is if his agent finally realizes that it's 2021 and not 2019 and before, and comes back willing to take reasonable term (leading to a contract extension). 

Once again, the Devils won't be fighting for a playoff berth, and we've seen how two or more upper-round picks can get you an NHLer.  And if I were to put a percentage to it, I'd say it's 75% that Palms is back here on two or three-year deal, whether he's traded or not.  So if some other team wants to "borrow" him for a while, fine.  Even if Palms ultimately signs elsewhere, OK...but like I said in a previous post, Devils are going to have an absurd amount of cash to spend.  Spend some of it.  

Just read that the Devils would retain some of Palms salary for a trade, that is a game changer, I didn't calculate that in earlier, so I expect him to be gone. Hello Lou Lam get your pen out, he doesn't even have to move. 

Edited by Brewskies
Wanted to add

21 minutes ago, Brewskies said:

Just read that the Devils would retain some of Palms salary for a trade, that is a game changer, I didn't calculate that in earlier, so I expect him to be gone. Hello Lou Lam get your pen out, he doesn't even have to move. 

I mean if I were them, I would actively be advertising that I would retain the full 50% allowed. Why not? You don’t need the $2.325 million in cap space before the end of this year and you can ask more for him if you are retaining salary. 

If we weren’t doing that, we’d need our collective heads examined. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MB3 said:

But, mfitz, why would we -- as fans -- need to get our heads examined? After all, we are fans -- and as such, we don't actually make these moves. 

Isn't that fvcking nutty, my man? 

I don’t know about you, but the team reads my message board posts and acts accordingly. It’s the only reason Zacha is good now. Next season Jack will be finishing like Peter North and you will all thank me. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t know about you, but the team reads my message board posts and acts accordingly. It’s the only reason Zacha is good now. Next season Jack will be finishing like Peter North and you will all thank me. 

I don’t know what’s scarier...the fact that you mentioned Peter North, or the fact that I knew exactly who you were talking about.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don’t know what’s scarier...the fact that you mentioned Peter North, or the fact that I knew exactly who you were talking about.  

I did hesitate, not knowing if most of the room would get the reference, but I knew I could count on you lol. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I had to Google it. I discovered he's not a hockey player but he is Canadian.

Edited by Jerrydevil
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MB3 said:

But, mfitz, why would we -- as fans -- need to get our heads examined? After all, we are fans -- and as such, we don't actually make these moves. 

Isn't that fvcking nutty, my man? 

If you need help please let me know. Remember, 911 is always there for you. Are you right handed?