2021 Trade Deadline Thread April 12, 3pm ET

Chimaira_Devil_#9

8 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

The crazy thing is he’s not even seeing that many shots the last few games (23, 26, 19), but every single high danger chance seems to end up in the back of the net lately. 

He’s still giving up 3-5 goals a game, and every game, you can fault him for like one of them. The rest are guys that were completely left alone, or shots deflected in by Severson. 

• Like 1

Just now, mfitz804 said:

He’s still giving up 3-5 goals a game, and every game, you can fault him for like one of them. The rest are guys that were completely left alone, or shots deflected in by Severson. 

You forgot that for certain players, it's not about the eye test or the obvious stat lines that win games, but about how their advanced numbers are.  Unfortunately, Blackwood is not one of those players.

29 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

What are you spewing off about?  I haven't mentioned this ever before today.

Yet you did multiple times. 

We all get it......you think Fitz made an incredible error by getting nothing for a guy who was playing his last dozen or so games here.

YAWN

Show me the last 7th rounder that ever did anything in the league

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

We all get it......you think Fitz made an incredible error by getting nothing for a guy who was playing his last dozen or so games here.

YAWN

You really can Google anything. Check out #10, list is clearly outdated lol.

10 Best 7th Round Picks of the Last 15 Years

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

It clearly wasn't about money since DAL has picked up his entire salary.  If the bolded is what went down, the Fitz just got gamed by the other GM's.  Either way it is not a good look.

Vatanen's play doesn't really matter.  Somebody wanted him enough to pick him and his $2M up.  I guess the only silver lining is that maybe this is finally the end of Vats in NJ for good.

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Only for Dallas to pick him and his full cap hit/salary for nothing.  Fitz blinked and got schooled.

I am not upset that it wasn't a higher round, but that Fitz literally got nothing for him.  It's just bad asset management.

I think the answer here is not that Fitz got schooled or another GM called his bluff.  I really don't think they play those type of games with each other when you're talking about minor moves at this level.  Sekera apparently broke his foot blocking a shot in last nights game so the need for Vats in Dallas arose after he was already placed on waivers.      

Edited by Lateralous

19 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Call it whatever you like, there is no stat for "getting hung out to dry" as far as I know. 

The guys in front of him are certainly at least partially to blame, but they’re the same players from early in the season when Mac was playing great. His game has changed more than any of their’s has, imo. Maybe Severson has taken a step back, but the rest are pretty much what they’ve been all season. Ruff has never run a tight defensive system. It’s cliche but your goalie has to be your best PKer, and we just haven’t really been seeing that much.

He did have a couple 40+ save performances a couple weeks ago, so we’ve seen those flashes of elite Mac since coming back from covid. I think it’s just a case of a young goalie struggling with consistency issues more than anything else. The early softies are just killers though, and not something we saw from him much last year. But I think he’ll be fine. He’s hardly the only young goalie that’s having an up and down season. 

Edited by Nicomo

Just now, Nicomo said:

The guys in front of him are certainly at least partially to blame, but they’re the same players from early in the season when Mac was playing great. His game has changed more than any of their’s has, imo. Maybe Severson has taken a step back, but the rest are pretty much what they’ve been all season. Ruff has been we run a tight defensive system. It’s cliche but your goalie has to be your best PKer, and we just haven’t really been seeing that much the last few games.

He did have a couple 40+ save performances a couple weeks ago, so we’ve seen those flashes of elite late 2019 Mac since coming back from covid. I think it’s just a case of a young goalie struggling with consistency issues more than anything else. The early softies are just killers though, and not something we saw from him much last year. But I think he’ll be fine. He’s hardly the only young goalie that’s having an up and down season. 

I'm 100% not saying "its everyone else's fault", obviously you have to account for the fact that sh!t happens as a goalie and be ready to roll with it. The first goal yesterday, and to some extent the second goal, have to be things that he adjusts to and gets most of the time. He needs to be able to bail Jack out when he turns over the puck at his own blue line and causes an odd man rush. He has to get better positioning to get a better view when he is screened. 

My only point was, its a very basic tenet of hockey that you have to help your goalie out, and more often than not, we're not doing that. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

I'm schooled again!

lol

Pretty much proves my point

I basically just thought it was funny that there was a published article directly responding to your point lol. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm 100% not saying "its everyone else's fault", obviously you have to account for the fact that sh!t happens as a goalie and be ready to roll with it. The first goal yesterday, and to some extent the second goal, have to be things that he adjusts to and gets most of the time. He needs to be able to bail Jack out when he turns over the puck at his own blue line and causes an odd man rush. He has to get better positioning to get a better view when he is screened. 

My only point was, its a very basic tenet of hockey that you have to help your goalie out, and more often than not, we're not doing that. 

I don’t think we’re that far apart here. Mac is very far down the list of issues right now. Part of the problem is teams like the Caps and Pens just don’t need many chances to capitalize on. That’s mainly what I referring to earlier. 

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I don’t think we’re that far apart here. Mac is very far down the list of issues right now. Part of the problem is teams like the Caps and Pens just don’t need many chances to capitalize on. That’s mainly what I referring to earlier. 

No, I don't think we are. Maybe someone can make a quick bar graph to tell me why lol. ;) 

Edited by mfitz804

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Where did Shero handle assets badly?  Yeah, many moves didn't work out for him (maddening because so many of them made perfect sense at the time they were made, and were rather creative given general lack of assets to work with), and he hung onto Hynes for too long, and he kept hoping that Cory was going to regain his form (at the expense of his teammates)...but I never thought of him as a guy who mishandled assets.  And I can't be worried about Fitz not getting something minimal back for a guy who had very little trade value, if any.  There's no evidence that suggests this is going to become commonplace...looking at his other deals leading up to deadline, I think he's done pretty well.  Until further notice, I see this as a rare event that was driven more by a player who played himself into not being worth trading anything meaningful for, than by Fitz somehow screwing up.

Arguably Fitz's handling of Palmieri was worse than Shero's handling of Hall, because the injury thing like you said would have complicated any offseason attempt to trade him.  Plus Shero was more or less in he'd better win soon mode to save his job.  If the Devils were only going to try to lowball Palm and try to get him on the cheap in terms of re-signing him that wasn't ever gonna fly, they should have just moved him last deadline.  What was the point of keeping him around through 2021 on a bad team?

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah as opposed to what?? He’s getting hung out to dry nightly. 

I don't even know what you are asking? 

I was simply saying Mac is going to be facing an even tougher task now all the people who can actually defend are gone. Which sucks for him. 

Breathe Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

1 hour ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

YAWN

I made like 2-3 posts lol.

Let's go over again how great we found Bratt in the 6th round.  YAWN.

25 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

So essentially it cost us to make our defense worse after the deadline

Lose Vat on waivers

Trade Kulikov for a 4th (cond. 3rd)

Give up a third for Slegwhatshisname from the Caps

That’s a bad take. We “lost” Vatanen because he’s been sh!t and he is on an expiring contract. We traded Kulikov because he is on an expiring contract. maybe we’d re-sign Kulikov, but did you want Vatanen back next year?

Plus, we’re already sh!t. I don’t see how losing Vatanen and Kulikov and gaining a pirate looking motherfvcker changes that. 

• Like 2