2021 Trade Deadline Thread April 12, 3pm ET

You guys are all overlooking the fact that Palmieri "knows how to win" as Matt Loughlin just pointed out on the NHL channel as one of the top reasons other GMs will be looking to acquire him.

• Haha 1
  • Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don’t know about you, but the team reads my message board posts and acts accordingly. It’s the only reason Zacha is good now. Next season Jack will be finishing like Peter North and you will all tha

AM I TAKING FVCKING CRAZY PILLS ARE YOU SUGGESTING WE SIGN KYLE PALMIERI FOR SIX MORE SEASONS?!? SOMEONE GET ME A PAPER BAG

Posted Images

Just now, titans04 said:

You guys are all overlooking the fact that Palmieri "knows how to win" as Matt Loughlin just pointed out on the NHL channel as one of the top reasons other GMs will be looking to acquire him.

If he knows how, he should try doing it. 

• Like 4
21 hours ago, pumpkin cutter said:

how much would you do for palms? id go 5x5. we need goal scorers and go figure we have one on our team?!

Yes, that's fair/reasonable. Or 6 for 3/4 w/ M-NTC?

• Haha 1

That they are even trying to re-sign Palms either means there was little interest in him or they think he is too much of a leader to let leave despite his playing issues. 

• Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

4x4 tops for Palms.

21 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I think that’s the absolute most in both money and term I’d be willing to do.

That’s kind of what I had in mind too, but again, I don’t know if you can judge him completely on this COVID shortened season. I don’t know if he’ll be looking to take a pay cut, even if ultimately that’s where he winds up, I think he’s going to free agency before that happens. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

That’s kind of what I had in mind too, but again, I don’t know if you can judge him completely on this COVID shortened season. I don’t know if he’ll be looking to take a pay cut, even if ultimately that’s where he winds up, I think he’s going to free agency before that happens. 

One thing I think that will be hurting the free agent market value is going to be how atrocious Hall is playing in Buffalo with a fellow superstar. I could absolutely be overestimating it but I could easily see GM’s pushing the bar low when comparing Hall’s body of work to another forward.

I could also be 100% off base, but I’d like to think his no-show is going to cost a bunch of people.

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

One thing I think that will be hurting the free agent market value is going to be how atrocious Hall is playing in Buffalo with a fellow superstar. I could absolutely be overestimating it but I could easily see GM’s pushing the bar low when comparing Hall’s body of work to another forward.

I could also be 100% off base, but I’d like to think his no-show is going to cost a bunch of people.

It probably will, or at the very least, won’t set a high bar for a guy who, minus one season, is a star but not a superstar. 

Palmieri, on the other hand, produced consistent results over 5 years at a very reasonable AAV, and Then dropped off during this weird season when nobody on the team is producing with any kind of consistency. I can see him having a valid argument that maybe you shouldn’t put that much weigh on this season. 

To some extent, Hall would have that same argument, except that he is paid much more and more should be expected of him. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

That they are even trying to re-sign Palms either means there was little interest in him or they think he is too much of a leader to let leave despite his playing issues. 

I will take the latter, thank you

10 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Yes, that's fair/reasonable. Or 6 for 3/4 w/ M-NTC?

AM I TAKING FVCKING CRAZY PILLS

ARE YOU SUGGESTING WE SIGN KYLE PALMIERI FOR SIX MORE SEASONS?!?

SOMEONE GET ME A PAPER BAG

• Like 5
5 hours ago, MB3 said:

I would be hesitant at three years. Six is insane. 

11 hours ago, MB3 said:

I read it as 6M for 3/4 years.

37 minutes ago, StarDew said:

I read it as 6M for 3/4 years.

Me too. I would prefer 3 years at that price, or maybe $5.5m.

I honestly have no clue what the holy hell Kyle Palmieri you guys watch that you want to pay him 5+m for 3+ seasons. 

Where is he going to play? Kyle Palmieri cannot be on a 3rd or 4th line. He’s slow, he turns the puck over and he backchecks like a peewee. Do any of you think those traits improve with age? In any universe? 

Let’s say he gets signed for 3 years. There are 4 wing positions in the top two lines up for grabs. Sharangovich, Bratt and Holtz will/should occupy at least three of them during Palmieri’s tenure. Pavel Zacha should be on Nico’s wing but that’s fine if you want to leave him as 3C. 

Up the pipeline we have Foote, who is a shoot-first player with a dime of a snipe. Then you have Dawson Mercer who can play sorta anywhere, but looks to be a top-6 forward with increasingly-rising stock after the draft. Tyce Thompson, Graeme Clarke? Hell, even Kuokkonen looks more deserving right now than Palmieri.

So where, in the name of god, do you stick Palmieri? Do you let an aging, shoot-first streaky and lazy veteran hockey player steal top-6 minutes from the kids? Top-line PP minutes? 

Signing Kyle Palmieri to anything longer than 2 years is a major step backwards for this franchise, and it’ll be a sad day if it happens.

• Like 4
15 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Hope Fitz isn't one of those GMs that hand out NTCs/NMCs like candy moving forward.

Insane to me that an average NHLer like Palmieri has any sort of NTC protection.  But maybe I'm just out of touch and this is standard league-wide now.

10 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Hope Fitz isn't one of those GMs that hand out NTCs/NMCs like candy moving forward.

Insane to me that an average NHLer like Palmieri has any sort of NTC protection.  But maybe I'm just out of touch and this is standard league-wide now.

Palmieri isn’t just an average NHLer though. He was one of the better RW in the league his entire time in NJ. 25-30 goal scorers don’t grow on trees. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Palmieri isn’t just an average NHLer though. He was one of the better RW in the league his entire time in NJ. 25-30 goal scorers don’t grow on trees. 

Add to that, you do have to show a certain loyalty to guys that decide to stay while your team is a dumpster fire. I would rather give a guy an 8 team no-trade list than overpay him or extend him for term beyond his usefulness. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

He was 6th overall in the NHL in goals scored for right wings since becoming a Devil.  Was some of that due to his getting a lot of first line minutes, due to no one being ahead of him?  Sure.  But the guy was a solid player here for the past five years, and may have some more good years ahead of him (we'll find out if this year was an aberration due to Covid and other factors, or if he's truly at the beginning of a decline).  He definitely got more hatred from some circles than he really deserved.

In some ways, it's kind of sad that his time here may be over (not ruling out a re-signing in the offseason), because I think he really wants to stay, and likes representing the organization and having New Jersey as his home base.  But from a business standpoint, I understand completely where the Devils are coming from.  They are absolutely in the position where they could pay Palms for 4+ years at well over $5 million...but they clearly recognize that because they can doesn't mean that they SHOULD.  If Palms came back on a two-year deal and turned in two solid years, he'd probably get another two-year deal.  There's room for middle ground, and if Palms' camp isn't interested in going there, Fitz is 100% doing the right thing is getting what he can.  I think Fitz handled this whole scenario perfectly.    

All of the above being said, I need to see some legit "move things forward" moves.  Enough of getting Johnsson types because they're low risk and don't cost much...I've talked about it before, but enough with "if" moves.  Devils are going to be fvcking drowning in cap space...for fvck's sake, use some of it already!  Get out there and at least TRY to reel in a big fish than can help...a vet with some good years left who can help these kids!  I'm not one of those fans that expects my team to be overly active when it comes to bigger-name players, but it really feels like it's time to spend some cash on some players who can help.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3
56 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Fair, I was too harsh in my original assessment there.  

I admittedly just have a really sour taste in my mouth from watching him for most of this season.  When the scoring dries up, he's really a zero out there it seems.