Funding. Whitelist the site from ad blockers please. Or donate..

DevilMinder

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

How quickly do Amazon referrals show up? Just bought something using the link but I made sure to bookmark it so going forward the referrals should work every time. 

I freaking forgot about the amazon link and ordered from there yesterday, ugh this stomach bug/virus/plague is really sapping my brain....

• Sad 1

On 3/20/2021 at 8:42 PM, mfitz804 said:

It was @NJDfan1711

Yup it was definitely me.  I'm a man of my word and I know I paid whatever I was able to at the time, and I believe I made a couple more payments afterwards, but I have to be honest, I did forget about it after a while.  I am not sure how much in total I paid, but I just sent another $100 to DM just now for good measure. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Also, just curious, but it would be nice to see a breakdown of the costs associated with running this place.  When you say PayPal dinged you $90/mo for hosting and it happened twice this year, is that on top of some other regular monthly hosting fee?  As someone who's in the IT industry I might be able to help find a cheaper/better hosting provider in case you're not happy with the one you have now, of if they're just on the more expensive side.   

Is the forum software an annual subscription?  I know back in the day IPB used to be one-time and perpetual, but that was a long time ago so just curious if they changed their plans/pricing.

• Like 1

Hi All, first off thank you to the many who have donated! Between Venmo and Paypay a whopping $595 has been donated to the site. This should be good for the next 6-7 months!

I will reach out to everyone individually to thank you.

The  costs are this:

85$ month hosting (VPS on amazon)

The forum software is $70 a year for support. Domain name's 12$

$1102 ish a year

Hosting is expensive because of the large database side we have (it was 4GB) the last time I looked and the memory usage means most hosts won't even allow us on a smaller shared plan.

• Like 4

donated -

@DevilMinder - i think you could also just do a similar post like this once or twice a year and you'd almost certainly get the annual costs covered users.

no shame in it of course. hell, i gladly do every time you ask and i'm sure many other do as well.

i know that in the past you've offered ad-free experience for those that pay.

you can also install software that won't allow ad-blockers to work but don't know if that's really worth it. i assume that just showing the ads is nothing - you need clickthroughs which i'd think most on this site won't do.

keep us up to date to make sure the year is covered at least.

• Like 2

Something that has worked on another site I frequent is doing a thread where people post items for sale and pledge the proceeds (or a percent thereof) to the site. Some folks might be on the edge of donating, not quite ready to click, but if they get a bobble head or something out of it, maybe they would...

Not sure if it would work here, but I know I floated the idea in another forum I frequented and it generated about $2500 between people buying stuff or seeing the thread and just deciding to donate. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Something that has worked on another site I frequent is doing a thread where people post items for sale and pledge the proceeds (or a percent thereof) to the site. Some folks might be on the edge of donating, not quite ready to click, but if they get a bobble head or something out of it, maybe they would...

Not sure if it would work here, but I know I floated the idea in another forum I frequented and it generated about $2500 between people buying stuff or seeing the thread and just deciding to donate. 

That's a cool idea, or perhaps whatever money is donated, if there happens to be a surplus or anything extra, you could take a portion of that and do a raffle where those who donated are entered into a random drawing for a piece of memorabilia, merchandise, etc.  

3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

That's a cool idea, or perhaps whatever money is donated, if there happens to be a surplus or anything extra, you could take a portion of that and do a raffle where those who donated are entered into a random drawing for a piece of memorabilia, merchandise, etc.  

Someone would still need to donate the prize...

40 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Someone would still need to donate the prize...

No, I said if there was leftover money or ever a surplus, a portion of the donations could go towards selecting a small prize....

EDIT:  Probably still not explaining it well.... I mean DM could decide on his own a particular item or prize to buy with the money that was donated, and then offer that up in a raffle.  

Edited by NJDfan1711

26 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

No, I said if there was leftover money or ever a surplus, a portion of the donations could go towards selecting a small prize....

EDIT:  Probably still not explaining it well.... I mean DM could decide on his own a particular item or prize to buy with the money that was donated, and then offer that up in a raffle.  

So in your model, donations would exceed cost and instead of paying the money forward toward next year, DM would purchase and award a prize?

Thanks for the still additional donations today, its been a long day at work so I Hope I reached out to everyone.

I found a few widgets that show costs and donation drives. I will see if I can install one so the budget is out there for all to see.

Thanks!

• Like 5

On 3/23/2021 at 8:56 PM, mfitz804 said:

So in your model, donations would exceed cost and instead of paying the money forward toward next year, DM would purchase and award a prize?

I'm not saying that's "my model", I'm saying it's one possible thing to do.  Having a random drawing for a small prize might incentivize people to donate, don't you think?

Edited by NJDfan1711

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'm not saying that's "my model", I'm saying it's one possible thing to do.  Having a random drawing for a small prize might incentivize people to donate, don't you think?

It is “your model” because you “suggested it”. 

3 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I just don't follow this line of thinking. I'm incentivized to donate because I've come to this website 10 times a day for a decade and a half and I don't feel right having the guy in charge foot that bill. Setting up raffles or prizes feels silly; any donation to this website should go directly to this website, and it would de-incentivize me to continue to donate if I know that half of my money was going to a $40 starbucks gift card for a random member. 

Yep. Although I do not mind a Starbucks now and again.

Unless, of course, a prize were donated by a member as a way to solicit extra funds, as I previously mentioned. 

Edited by mfitz804

Absolutely in my for share (I hope that was enough, if not let me know), thank you for keeping this place afloat DM!

Hard to believe it's been like 12 years since I joined here.  Where does the time go?

GIF by Giphy QA

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Absolutely in my for share (I hope that was enough, if not let me know), thank you for keeping this place afloat DM!

Hard to believe it's been like 12 years since I joined here.  Where does the time go?

GIF by Giphy QA

D6A9D0CA-A43F-425F-8263-B85DBDE0C343.gif

• Haha 1

I wonder if we could use the fantasy leagues as a way to raise money for the site? i.e. each person pays $20 or $50 or something to participate in the league, then we take a certain percentage off the top and donate it to the site, and the rest goes to the winner.

(I say this currently sitting in 1st place in our NJDEVS FHL but I assure you that has nothing to do with the suggestion 😀)

Edited by NJDEVS1730

13 hours ago, MB3 said:

I just don't follow this line of thinking. I'm incentivized to donate because I've come to this website 10 times a day for a decade and a half and I don't feel right having the guy in charge foot that bill. Setting up raffles or prizes feels silly; any donation to this website should go directly to this website, and it would de-incentivize me to continue to donate if I know that half of my money was going to a $40 starbucks gift card for a random member. 

People are really getting hung up on this... I'm not saying this is the best idea ever, it was merely a thought I had.  It's essentially the same thing that stadiums and arenas do for things like a 50/50 raffle...you spend/donate money that goes to a particular charity or cause, and then in exchange for your donation you're entered into a raffle for the chance to win money (or a prize).  In the case of a raffle obviously too much of the donation/cost goes to the random winner, so in the case of NJ Devs and this community I was thinking that ALL of the donations would go to cover the cost of the site's maintenance, and then if, and only if, there happened to be anything extra, a small portion of it could be put towards a small gift - I don't think a Starbucks gift card would be the thing to do, I was thinking something Devils and/or hockey related which would probably draw more interest and have more meaning to the members here.  At the end of the day, you're right, and I agree, I donate to this site for the same reason - because I like this place and I appreciate and understand the work and costs involved in keeping it running, and I don't expect anything in return at all.  The same reason we do the fun and silly bets every now and then.  Nothing is given back to us and we simply make wagers with each other and donate the winnings to the site.  I was merely suggesting something that I thought might be cool or interesting to do, but it's not going to keep me from donating in the future.  You guys have criticized this and given this idea way more thought that I did lol.