Funding. Whitelist the site from ad blockers please. Or donate..

DevilMinder

15 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

It is “your model” because you “suggested it”. 

I did suggest it, but labeling it as a "model" makes it seem so formal, like it's some type of scheme that I'm demanding gets implemented lol. I also didn't invent this idea...I don't understand how it's such a foreign concept to grasp, organizations and people literally do it all the time.  You donate money to a charity or cause, and as a 'thank you' you're entered into a drawing for a chance to win something.  Why is that logic so hard to follow?  

Anyway, it was literally just an idea, similar to the ideas that you mentioned.  I'm not married to it at all, and I don't care if DM actually decides to do it, I was just trying to be helpful.

Edited by NJDfan1711

That logic is impossible to follow. When charities do that, they don’t use the money donated to buy prizes, the prizes are donated. Do you really think they go out and buy that stuff??

When the Devils do it at the arena, they’re donating their own merch, they don’t pay for it. I am assuming DM doesn’t have a secret merch closet full of fabulous prizes. If he does, he’s been holding out on us. 

I don’t really understand what you don’t get about this. DM needs money to keep the site running and doesn’t get enough. Using the money he does get to buy a prize to give away to the few people who do donate is counterproductive, he’d be better off just putting that money back into the site. 

I thought that was pretty obvious. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

That logic is impossible to follow. When charities do that, they don’t use the money donated to buy prizes, the prizes are donated. Do you really think they go out and buy that stuff??

When the Devils do it at the arena, they’re donating their own merch, they don’t pay for it. I am assuming DM doesn’t have a secret merch closet full of fabulous prizes. If he does, he’s been holding out on us. 

Um, yes?  C'mon man, seriously?  I mean, yeah, of course in many of those situations there are generous prize donations that are given by millionaires and other people who can afford to just donate anything they want to a charity near and dear to them, but don't kid yourself if you think that some organizations don't actually foot the bill for the prizes and take the money out of some of the proceeds - it absolutely happens, and to think or suggest otherwise is insanely naïve.  Of course the Devils put up their own merch, because they have it.  And I'm not even talking about donating a freakin' boat or something like you'd see at a silent auction...it could be something as mundane as a damn Devils keychain for Christ's sakes.  Have you ever seen where you give blood to Red Cross and they give you a beer koozie, or a pen, or a coffee mug with their logo on it?   You really think those tchotchkes are 100% all donated and supplied by some anonymous person?  Hate to break it to ya, but they're not.   I make a monetary donation to Toys for Toys every single year and receive a random thank you gift from them that works exactly the same way. 

I don’t really understand what you don’t get about this. DM needs money to keep the site running and doesn’t get enough. Using the money he does get to buy a prize to give away to the few people who do donate is counterproductive, he’d be better off just putting that money back into the site. 

I thought that was pretty obvious. 

When did I ever say I don't get it?  I do get it, and it is obvious.   I don't expect nor do I want DM to go into his pocket any further than he already is - I presented a scenario where if the donations ever exceeded the cost to maintain the site that the surplus could be used to buy said prize (and yes, I understand he could roll any excess donations over into the following year's costs, but I would imagine the following year would yield further donations)

Anyway, like I said,  I don't really care one way or the other if the idea is implemented, I was just trying to be helpful and spitballing an idea that I thought might encourage more people to donate.  I didn't invent the concept of offering a prize to people who donate to a cause, so if you really have that much of a problem with it or want to understand the logic behind it then by all means happy Googling.

Edited by NJDfan1711

12 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Have you ever seen where you give blood to Red Cross and they give you a beer koozie, or a pen, or a coffee mug with their logo on it?   You really think those tchotchkes are 100% all donated and supplied by some anonymous person?  Hate to break it to ya, but they're not.   I make a monetary donation to Toys for Toys every single year and receive a random thank you gift from them that works exactly the same way. 

DM is asking for monetary donations to cover a bill of $1102. That means he isn’t even getting that much. How in the world does that compare to either the Red Cross or Toys for Tots, who collect BILLIONS of dollars annually? Trust me, if they had a budget of $1102 and weren’t covering that, you wouldn’t be getting a beer coozie. 

1 hour ago, StarDew said:

1711 and mfitz why are you 2 going back and forth over an idea or suggestion? What is there to prove? It is like an opinion...it is neither correct nor incorrect. I don't understand what is trying to be gained? Maybe the last word?  ;)

Prolly. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

For someone who doesn’t care, you sure do keep bringing it up a lot. 

DM, but this guy a keychain so he can shut the fvck up about it and I’ll cover the cost. 

Let me clarify that I’m a native Staten Islander and telling someone to shut the fvck up is just part of a normal conversation here, I intend no offense, I talk to you guys the same way I talk to my friends. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

DM.............ever think about a subpage for items some of us would want to sell or buy?  Devils or hockey related of course

I was thinking the same...like a classified section just for generating donations. Even if it’s just a thread in the main board (not enough people visit the Marketplace).

Did it on another site like I mentioned. It worked. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NJDEVS1730 said:

I wonder if we could use the fantasy leagues as a way to raise money for the site? i.e. each person pays $20 or $50 or something to participate in the league, then we take a certain percentage off the top and donate it to the site, and the rest goes to the winner.

(I say this currently sitting in 1st place in our NJDEVS FHL but I assure you that has nothing to do with the suggestion 😀)

As a multiple time NJ Devs football survivor pool winner, I'd be interested in this idea... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

Life's been hectic in these last few weeks, I plan to update the new market place app which shows donations on the main page too. It will eventually do it automatically

Did anything from Amazon referrals come through? Not huge amounts but I used it a few times

23 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

We have earned $5 in commissions from Amazon in the last 7 days, a good bump up.

It would seem Amazon is a good supplement, but not a replacement, for actual direct donations. 

I listed a jersey for sale in the Marketplace with a portion going toward a donation should it sell here. I know we only have a few GW collectors here and it’s probably unlikely, but I figured I would take the shot. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

With the holidays coming up soonish, I am not sure if this is a good time to bump this really quick to remind everyone to click the Amazon link. We still have a little more funding to go to cover the site for the year for @DevilMinder. I am going to be splurging a bit on some apartment supplies in OCT and this just kind of popped into my head.

• Like 3