GDT: Devils @ Washington: Round 2 7:00 PM MSG+

MadDog2020

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Buffalo says hi. 

Anyway, I have nothing positive to say after that one. I’m even frustrated with my boy right now.

And despite not having a funny nickname for Recchi, I hold him every bit as accountable for this teams woes as nASS. The PP is truly awful. It’s painful to watch. 

This one sucked I agree. I'm frustrated to see the same costly mistakes and lack of veteran leadership. Yes, we don't have anyone of McDavid or Mathews caliber, but most young guys playing better than most vets is wrong.

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I don't feel like anyone on this team hates losing. It feels like losing and being pushed around has become totally acceptable here

I'm really getting tired of watching this team, getting pushed around. Zajac showed some grit tonight . 

9 minutes ago, Gunslinger27 said:

I'm really getting tired of watching this team, getting pushed around. Zajac showed some grit tonight . 

Honestly, I think the players take too much criticism when management deserves the blame for the way the team is built. All you need is one or two guys who play a rugged style and bring it regularly, and we just don't have it. And when you're playing 4 games in 7 days, you need players to provide an emotional spark. We are sorely missing a David Clarkson or Ryan Carter. We got Andreas Johnsson. 

Edited by Jerrydevil
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Drives me insane. They just lie down and take it. It’s infuriating. No one on this team plays with an edge. Miles Wood used to, what the hell happened? Doesn’t help not having Bastian either, he’s one of the few who brings some ‘fvck you’.

That in itself says a lot because I'm pretty sure his level of fu&k you barely registers against most teams yet it's  the most we have to offer. I hate that it continues to be a reoccurring theme year after year that we're soft as baby sh!t.  I'm not looking to turn the clock back to the 70's but it would be great to be tougher to play against. 

Just a piss poor game across the board, these still sting when they don't show up and aren't really competitive.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Devs64 said:

You really want to compare Edmonton and Toronto back in the day with this team? They had a ton of talent but horrible coaching. Their game was way better than ours. Buffalo and Yotes I'll take. Doesn't mean we suck less because they do too.

Sure, let’s start with Edmonton.  Roughly 6 years into their rebuild, they had amassed Sam Gagner, Jordan Eberle, Magnus Paajarvi, and then ripped off three straight top picks in Hall, RNH and Yak.   Their “game” was so good that even after adding Nurse, Drai and McDavid in the next three seasons, they traded the best of the original group to us for Adam Larsson “one for one” because they were still struggling so badly.   Lou left this team with absolutely nothing and while we don’t look great right now, all the best players on the team are the young ones who are most important to our future.   

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Sure, let’s start with Edmonton.  Roughly 6 years into their rebuild, they had amassed Sam Gagner, Jordan Eberle, Magnus Paajarvi, and then ripped off three straight top picks in Hall, RNH and Yak.   Their game was so good even after adding Nurse, Drai and McDavid in the next three seasons, they traded the best of the original group to us for Adam Larsson “one for one” because they were still struggling so badly.   Lou left this team with absolutely nothing and while we don’t look great right now, all the best players on the team are the young ones who are most important to our future.   

I'm seriously hoping our D prospects pan out also. 

32 minutes ago, Devs64 said:

You really want to compare Edmonton and Toronto back in the day with this team? They had a ton of talent but horrible coaching. Their game was way better than ours. Buffalo and Yotes I'll take. Doesn't mean we suck less because they do too.

Now let’s tackle Toronto.  Are we just going to gloss over the fact that they missed the playoffs for over a decade after the full year shutdown and that there was whole rebuild under Brian Burke that had to be burned to the ground after it failed?   You can sit here and tell me how great their perimeter finesse scorers look this season in what’s probably about year 17 since they first started to rebuild and I will remind you that they couldn’t even win a fvcking play-in series against a Columbus Blue Jackets team last year that lost a ton after going all in, in 2019 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

Now let’s tackle Toronto.  Are we just going to gloss over the fact that they missed the playoffs for over a decade after the full year shutdown and that there was whole rebuild under Brian Burke that had to be burned to the ground after it failed?   You can sit here and tell me how great their perimeter finesse scorers look this season in what’s probably about year 17 since they first started to rebuild and I will remind you that they couldn’t even win a fvcking play-in series against a Columbus Blue Jackets team last year that lost a ton after going all in, in 2019 

Even when you're highly skilled, you can't be soft.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

They have more than one guy that’ll break 25 points this year, I’m not sure you can say that for us. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Gunslinger27 said:

I'm seriously hoping our D prospects pan out also. 

D are tough because they take so long to develop.   That being said, Ty Smith’s play this season is encouraging.   It wasn’t that long ago that it seemed in doubt when John Hynes was literally ripping everything about his game to shreds in 2019 training camp.   

D are tough because they take so long to develop.   That being said, Ty Smith’s play this season is encouraging.   It wasn’t that long ago that it seemed in doubt when John Hynes was literally ripping everything about his game to shreds in 2019 training camp.   

Agree on Ty

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

They have more than one guy that’ll break 25 points this year, I’m not sure you can say that for us. 

Right, but they’re also 12 years ahead of us in the rebuild.   Also, do you really think that if we had a healthy Nico at 1C, jack was able to be slotted down a line and Zacha moved to a top 6 wing spot, the numbers wouldn’t look better?   I don’t think you can underestimate how badly we miss Nico Hischier.  Bratt’s kind of had an f’ed up year as well.   If we’re in the same spot a year from now when we get a full offseason an actual practices between games, then I’ll start to be alarmed.   

Right, but they’re also 12 years ahead of us in the rebuild.   Also, do you really think that if we had a healthy Nico at 1C, jack was able to be slotted down a line and Zacha moved to a top 6 wing spot, the numbers wouldn’t look better?   I don’t think you can underestimate how badly we miss Nico Hischier.  Bratt’s kind of had an f’ed up year as well.   If we’re in the same spot a year from now when we get a full offseason an actual practices between games, then I’ll start to be alarmed.   

We’ll be out of excuses at that point. 

54 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I don't feel like anyone on this team hates losing. It feels like losing and being pushed around has become totally acceptable here

You'll have to be satisfied with the fact that our one player who played with some grit helped the Lightning win a Stanley Cup.

24 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I appreciate your history lesson. You posted all that to prove that we are not the worst rebuilding team? OK we are not. 

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I've said it a million times on this forum, but losing is a disease.  A cancer.  And this franchise is 100% infected right now.

Nothing worse than seeing our young players apathetic about losing.  

Losing to much better team is not a cancer. It’s a reality. Devils is a more young, less experienced team. We can’t do anything real against top-4 team. It is a reality, when your top guys are 19-22 yo boys. Deal with it and slow down your expectations.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Devs64 said:

I appreciate your history lesson. You posted all that to prove that we are not the worst rebuilding team? OK we are not. 

9 hours ago, Devs64 said:

Thank God it's over. I've seen many teams at their rebuild times. We are by far the worst of them.

You’re welcome.  Since you claimed to have seen many teams rebuild and “we are by far the worst”, it seems like it was needed.  I’m not even sure why you think the rebuild is going that poorly, because we’re not in the top half of the standings yet?   Would you prefer we were more like the Rangers where the vets are doing all of the scoring and yet they’re still out of a playoff spot?

Unfortunately Nico has been out all season but I’ve seen major progress from Hughes, Zacha, Smith, Wood and Blackwood, Bratt has been trending in the right direction lately and Bastian, Sharangovich, Maltsev and Kaokkannen all look like solid young pieces.  Hell, even McLeod, who was probably a bad pick from day 1 is contributing more than I ever thought he would.   All while literally having no meaningful practices since the holidays, which for a young team can’t be stated enough.  

Given where Lou left this team 6 years ago in terms of young assets, where do you think we should be at this point?  Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying we’re Chicago or Tampa yet either.   To me, next year is the one where we need to see a jump and that includes management starting to fill in the roster with more veterans that aren’t total sh!t like Palmeiri, Vatanen and Johansson (Crawford?) have all been this season.   

• Like 2

This team still lacks 3 key pieces, and has for a long time  a big time NHL scorer, a big time number 1 d-man, and an enforcer. 2 of those are the most difficult gets in sports. Our overall team talent is decent we can skate with any team and get secondary scoring deep thru the lines. But we need those 2 difference makes.. The drafts just didn't have them our little squirrels are feisty but in the end, the big dogs eat them

4 hours ago, Lateralous said:

You’re welcome.  Since you claimed to have seen many teams rebuild and “we are by far the worst”, it seems like it was needed.  I’m not even sure why you think the rebuild is going that poorly, because we’re not in the top half of the standings yet?   Would you prefer we were more like the Rangers where the vets are doing all of the scoring and yet they’re still out of a playoff spot?

Unfortunately Nico has been out all season but I’ve seen major progress from Hughes, Zacha, Smith, Wood and Blackwood, Bratt has been trending in the right direction lately and Bastian, Sharangovich, Maltsev and Kaokkannen all look like solid young pieces.  Hell, even McLeod, who was probably a bad pick from day 1 is contributing more than I ever thought he would.   All while literally having no meaningful practices since the holidays, which for a young team can’t be stated enough.  

Given where Lou left this team 6 years ago in terms of young assets, where do you think we should be at this point?  Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying we’re Chicago or Tampa yet either.   To me, next year is the one where we need to see a jump and that includes management starting to fill in the roster with more veterans that aren’t total sh!t like Palmeiri, Vatanen and Johansson (Crawford?) have all been this season.   

Yeah this, context matter when it comes to how long it takes to rebuild a team from scratch basically.

Also while its frustrating to see, anyone taking a step back can see that while other teams are ahead of us... we're still better off potentially.

Like MTL for example, they are doomed because they can't rebuild because the city would burn. They are the perfect example of a bubble team who is not good enough to win it all, but not bad enough to re-load with top talent through the draft. So they have to go all out since they have Price and Weber who are not getting any younger... but their good young guys like Suzuki and KK are just not there yet. They got a few guys who produced early and gave them the impression that they were all legit. It's just a very average team who will just run Price and Weber to the ground and waste it all.

So that's what the "let's just be good enough to make the playoffs" does. You just stay mediocre and can trick you into making bad decision thinking maybe there's a chance. It's guaranteed that in a few years we'll be a way better team than MTL. 

And that's just one example.

7 hours ago, Guadana said:

Losing to much better team is not a cancer. It’s a reality. Devils is a more young, less experienced team. We can’t do anything real against top-4 team. It is a reality, when your top guys are 19-22 yo boys. Deal with it and slow down your expectations.

You make a good point.  To back up your point I would add this: I was looking at a listing of average ages for teams last week and the Devils were the second youngest team in the NHL.  Consider how little weight our vets are pulling and you get an idea of just how “young” this team really is.  

Consider how some of the best players of the past played at the ages our best young players are at: even HoF players rarely could make the sort of impact we would need right now to be successful, let alone carry a team!  

I dont know what the future holds, but it is much bright than it has been in a long time.

Edited by AEWHistory
  • Like 1