GDT: Devils at Bruins - 3/28/21 5:30pm NBCSN

NJDfan1711

So so happy for Mac.

Will be nice whenever these fvcking refs remember to call double minors on the Devils’ opponents when appropriate.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

Awesome athleticism. This has to be at least top 5 save of the year, specially when you consider the time left on the clock and the importance of the save.

Absolutely. That may be the best save of Blackwood’s career.

• Like 1

They never make it easy. I took a chance and bet $50 the Devils would win outright after the second period since they've played well against BOS.  It's like they were doing their best to give my money away.  I'm glad I didn't bet it giving 1.5 because god forbid we score another goal.  We just play well against BOS this year.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

https://streamable.com/moji7z

That might be the best save I've ever seen.

Honestly, yes. With almost no time left and the win on the line. 

And it was as close to going in as possible. I thought it was in at first but the replays showed it wasn’t because of the end over end action as discussed above. Remarkable. 

Nice to see the boys get 2 points, Palmieri shows the Bruins what they are missing (ok, well he actually just let a puck hit him, but still). But tonight is Blackwood’s night. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Idk that I’d put it above Marty’s scorpion save, but yeah, it’s up there. 

There was another save Marty made where he actually reached back and got it with his stick that is probably the best save I have ever seen.

I was surprised to find Steiner selling 8x10s of that save later on. I have one in my office. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124628646620

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

How crazy is it that the Bruins still haven’t scored at ES against us? 

Makes no sense. But I like it. 

• Like 2

Allow me also to point out again, I hate watching nationally broadcast games. Takes a minimum of 30 minutes longer to watch, and not because of game action, but rather because of awful filler material. 

Only tolerable on DVR, which is how I watched this one and I almost caught up (missed it by 15 minutes) despite fast forwarding all intermissions and commercials, and starting it at 7:00. 

Although it gives me a brief refuge from Erika and Bryce, who I still can’t see together without thinking of @MB3’s wife thinking that Erika called Bryce “Blackie” when she was actually talking about Blackwood. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

There was another save Marty made where he actually reached back and got it with his stick that is probably the best save I have ever seen.

I was surprised to find Steiner selling 8x10s of that save later on. I have one in my office. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124628646620

Makes no sense. But I like it. 

It reminded me of the Marty stick save in the '95 finals (at 16 seconds into the vid)

Side note... I went down a little Marty save rabbit hole to find the one I was thinking of and my goodness were we lucky to get 20 years of that guy.

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

It reminded me of the Marty stick save in the '95 finals (at 16 seconds into the vid)

Side note... I went down a little Marty save rabbit hole to find the one I was thinking of and my goodness were we lucky to get 20 years of that guy.

The absolute GOAT. #3 is probably my favorite Marty save (or should I say saves)  of all-time. Insane sequence. Jim Hughson with the great call also.

This one here is one I don't see a lot in Marty compilations, but I've always loved that save vs. the Sharks. Great reflexes lol.

Edited by Devs3cups

4 hours ago, MB3 said:

He doesn’t have an NMC. The devils shouldn’t care what he wants.

I mean we should a little, it just shouldn't influence our decision. Guy has been a loyal servant and should be shown a bit of respect. 

1 hour ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I mean we should a little, it just shouldn't influence our decision. Guy has been a loyal servant and should be shown a bit of respect. 

That’s a weird response. I don’t mean literally kick him to the curb and tell him to fvck himself; I replied to someone who said “what if Kyle doesn’t want to go to Boston?” and the answer to that question is “The Devils shouldn’t care.” 

You disagree while saying “it shouldn’t influence our decision.” 

hmm

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

That’s a weird response. I don’t mean literally kick him to the curb and tell him to fvck himself; I replied to someone who said “what if Kyle doesn’t want to go to Boston?” and the answer to that question is “The Devils shouldn’t care.” 

You disagree while saying “it shouldn’t influence our decision.” 

hmm

Fair enough, you never know with you to be honest. It was quite a blunt statement so thats the impression I got, but that's the trouble with the internet. My mistake. 

And on the second point you can still show some compassion but do what is in your best interest. Fitz can sit down with him and see if there is anything that is mutually acceptable , listen to his views, but at the end of the day if the offer he likes best isn't the best for you then you have to do what's best for the organisation. 

Although that may be what you are saying anyway. Just more to the point. 

• Like 1

Why wouldn’t he want to go to Boston? They’ll likely make the playoffs and they are only a few hours from home. Unless a higher team in the standings wants him, Boston seems a good situation. 

As far as we are concerned, I don’t really care whether he wants to go somewhere or not. It’ll obviously be a playoff team trading for him, and our focus should be the best deal possible, not where he would like to go for 2 months for a chance to win the Cup. 

56 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Fair enough, you never know with you to be honest. It was quite a blunt statement so thats the impression I got, but that's the trouble with the internet. My mistake. 

And on the second point you can still show some compassion but do what is in your best interest. Fitz can sit down with him and see if there is anything that is mutually acceptable , listen to his views, but at the end of the day if the offer he likes best isn't the best for you then you have to do what's best for the organisation. 

It's a big boy business and I'm assuming Kyle is wearing his big boy pants. 

If you want to control your destination, give up some money or term and request a NMC or a modified NMC. Otherwise, strap up and enjoy the ride onto a team that'll be playing playoff hockey while your friends are golfing. 

30 minutes ago, MB3 said:

It's a big boy business and I'm assuming Kyle is wearing his big boy pants. 

If you want to control your destination, give up some money or term and request a NMC or a modified NMC. Otherwise, strap up and enjoy the ride onto a team that'll be playing playoff hockey while your friends are golfing. 

For a couple of months. Again, he’s a UFA, he isn’t going to be exiled long term. 

1 hour ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

It sounds like they have been talking, but I get the feeling one guy knows that the market has changed (Fitz), and the other guy's agent thinks that his client should get something in the 5-year, $30+ million range...and not so long ago, Palms probably would've gotten something in that neighborhood (hell, Henrique managed to get that), but a lot has changed.   

Devils took a chance on Palms back when he was a RFA...gave him a nice contract based on one breakout season...to Palms' credit, he's been very cost-effective since signing the deal...his time here has been mutually beneficial for both himself and the Devils.  But if Palms and/or his agent can't or won't realize that to sign him to a now "old-school"-type of deal doesn't make much sense for a lot of reasons, well, thank you for everything, but see if you can get that somewhere else.  When that doesn't happen, Devils will be willing to bring him back on their terms.  Probably does sound a little cold, but MB3 said it perfectly in another post...too often, guys get rewarded for what they were rather than what they are.  Signing Palms for four or more years with a considerable AAV raise isn't going to be nearly as cost-effective this time around.  Get him for a couple of years with a mild raise, and you can get some solid value.

On a side note, hard to believe, but Hughes and Palms now have the same glamour numbers...7 G and 9 A each (Hughes has one more GP).  I'm not down on Hughes, and I'm not sure if the compressed schedule is just wearing him out, but he's been looking less and less like the guy who had us all so excited to start the season.  Hoping next season (hopefully played more like a "normal" season) sees Hughes take a definitive step forward...not that he hasn't improved over last year, but I really want to see him look like the guy who started this season for the majority of next season.