GDT: Devils @ Bruins (Again) - 7:00pm MSG+2

NJDfan1711

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He’s creating failed opportunities. Other guys are creating the actual scoring. 

Well, yeah, other guys are actually scoring, there’s no denying that. Doesn’t mean Jack isn’t creating. There would be much more cause for concern if he wasn’t even doing that, and actually was truly invisible. And that’s just not the case at all. I’m not blaming his line mates either (other than when he’s with Johnsson who blows).

Jack is fantastic at transitions and gaining the zone, the problem comes after that. He’s just not good at cycling and constantly tries to do too much (one of the most frustrating aspects of his game right now). He would probably benefit from simplifying things a bit, but he’s still probably not quite used to all that fancy passing and skating not working at the NHL level. That will improve with time, imo. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He’s creating failed opportunities. Other guys are creating the actual scoring. 

Lol so it’s his fault players don’t convert his chances? Palmieri has cost him at least a dozen points already. Yesterday, Jack tee’d him up once again for a great scoring chance that he missed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, devlman said:

Lol so it’s his fault players don’t convert his chances? Palmieri has cost him at least a dozen points already. Yesterday, Jack tee’d him up once again for a great scoring chance that he missed.

Yes, I know that the narrative is that it’s everybody else’s fault.

12 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Saying he’s not creating is false. He’s not finishing. There’s a big difference. 

This is a team wide problem as well.  I saw this the other day around high danger  passes and play on the rush and high scoring chances capitalised on. The Devil's basically excel on the rush, but there is no finish.  Bratt had created 2.3 high danger passes per 60 which lead to shots and 0 had lead to a  shot on goal, 0!!

HD_Passes(2).thumb.PNG.92a049c10a7e6d82423d2023d436ec9b.PNG

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, titans04 said:

The new Almost if you will. 

Thank god for the killer start to the season. 

After the first 3 games of the season, Jack has 10 points in 31 games. So yes, thank god for those 3 games. 

4 points in 17 games in March. Yikes. I’m sure that’s the Lowe’s out of any of our forwards that played all of the games except Johnsson. 

But yeah, it’s everyone else not converting on his “creations”. 

I see the merry-go-round continues on here with the excuses.

Last night's game was the 7th game in a row that Hughes recorded zero points.  None, nada, zip.

He also has recorded zero points in 10 out of his last 11 games.  If that was Taylor Hall instead of Hughes a lot of you would be calling for his head.

Sure, COVID may have affected his game, but half the team had COVID too.  Guys like Palmieri, Zajac and even Blackwood have had COVID and are either producing or at least righted the ship in their games.

His linemates are at fault for not producing/coverting?  Well, let's take a look.  His linemates last night were Palmieri and Kuokkanen.  The game on Sunday his linemates were Palmieri and Bratt.  Palmieri scored in both games.  Bratt had an assist in the previous game.

Let's go another 2 further games into the past with the Washington 2-game series.  The game on the 26th was a shutout so nothing from anyone there.  The game on the 25th Hughes was with Bratt and Palmieri.  Jesper Bratt scored a goal in that game.

So to say that his linemates are to fault for not producing is odd when they are putting up points while Hughes can't manage to find himself on the scoresheet.

Yes, he is 19.  I 100% understand that.  I am not expecting McDavid-like production out of the gate.  What I was not expecting is less than Yakupov-type of level of production.  If he is a pass-first type of player then he should be at least getting assists, but he's not.  I was hoping with a shortened schedule that he would pot in about 30 points.  I think for a player with his talent that should be fairly easy to do and he looked to be doing it early on.  However he is not and that's concerning.

So keep coming up with the excuses, pointing fingers at the wrong players (HAHAHAHAHA @ blaming Blackwood for last night's loss), and pointing out his obvious age.  To say that things are fine right now with him and to dismiss all concern about him having another disaster of a season while cackling at Carter Hart and Lafreniere struggles is the height of delusion.

Bye for a while.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, titans04 said:

Again though it imo anyway has nothing to do with what he will be in the future it's about where he is today. 

Of course I had to respond to this.  I am such a liar.

Do you have a point?  Maybe, sorta.  However, I have seen posts on here that are already drawing conclusions on the futures of Hart and Laf who have had equally, if not shorter, NHL careers than Hughes thus far.

9 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I see the merry-go-round continues on here with the excuses.

Last night's game was the 7th game in a row that Hughes recorded zero points.  None, nada, zip.

He also has recorded zero points in 10 out of his last 11 games.  If that was Taylor Hall instead of Hughes a lot of you would be calling for his head.

Sure, COVID may have affected his game, but half the team had COVID too.  Guys like Palmieri, Zajac and even Blackwood have had COVID and are either producing or at least righted the ship in their games.

His linemates are at fault for not producing/coverting?  Well, let's take a look.  His linemates last night were Palmieri and Kuokkanen.  The game on Sunday his linemates were Palmieri and Bratt.  Palmieri scored in both games.  Bratt had an assist in the previous game.

Let's go another 2 further games into the past with the Washington 2-game series.  The game on the 26th was a shutout so nothing from anyone there.  The game on the 25th Hughes was with Bratt and Palmieri.  Jesper Bratt scored a goal in that game.

So to say that his linemates are to fault for not producing is odd when they are putting up points while Hughes can't manage to find himself on the scoresheet.

Yes, he is 19.  I 100% understand that.  I am not expecting McDavid-like production out of the gate.  What I was not expecting is less than Yakupov-type of level of production.  If he is a pass-first type of player then he should be at least getting assists, but he's not.  I was hoping with a shortened schedule that he would pot in about 30 points.  I think for a player with his talent that should be fairly easy to do and he looked to be doing it early on.  However he is not and that's concerning.

So keep coming up with the excuses, pointing fingers at the wrong players (HAHAHAHAHA @ blaming Blackwood for last night's loss), and pointing out his obvious age.  To say that things are fine right now with him and to dismiss all concern about him having another disaster of a season while cackling at Carter Hart and Lafreniere struggles is the height of delusion.

Bye for a while.

Add to that, you want to say Kuokkanen last night was a bad line mate? He had 4G and 6A in March and played one less game than Hughes. They are now tied on the season in points and Kuokkanen has more assists than our “playmaker”.

Jack’s “creating” is supposed to elevate the play of those around him. That’s how elite players operate. Jack, in 2021, is not elite. 

Guys who are one point behind Hughes? 35 year old Zajac, and PK Subban. And Miles Wood, but that isn’t surprising given he is out top goal scorer. 

None of that is encouraging to me. 

• Like 1

You guys can choose to not be encouraged by what you see from him. Some of us are. All we can do is evaluate every game, every shift, the context of the season, the rest of the team, etc. What’s the alternative? Just checking in here every night and saying he sucks because he didn’t get on the scoresheet? Yawn. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Of course I had to respond to this.  I am such a liar.

Do you have a point?  Maybe, sorta.  However, I have seen posts on here that are already drawing conclusions on the futures of Hart and Laf who have had equally, if not shorter, NHL careers than Hughes thus far.

Yeah depends on who your team is, nothing new or out of the ordinary. It's early for all of them but none have come remotely close to delivering on expectations at this point in time. 

7 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

You guys can choose to not be encouraged by what you see from him. Some of us are. All we can do is evaluate every game, every shift, the context of the season, the rest of the team, etc. What’s the alternative? Just checking in here every night and saying he sucks because he didn’t get on the scoresheet? Yawn. 

You miss the point on this all the time. Nobody is saying that there aren’t encouraging signs. Nobody is saying he won’t be good. Nobody is calling him a bust. 

But to watch him put up 4 points in 17 games on March and then post charts to say “Jack’s our best offensive player” is as tiresome as you perceive pointing out his lack of scoring is. 

I don’t need a chart to tell me that 4 points in 17 games is sh!t from a 1OA top line center. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Add to that, you want to say Kuokkanen last night was a bad line mate? He had 4G and 6A in March and played one less game than Hughes. They are now tied on the season in points and Kuokkanen has more assists than our “playmaker”.

Jack’s “creating” is supposed to elevate the play of those around him. That’s how elite players operate. Jack, in 2021, is not elite. 

Guys who are one point behind Hughes? 35 year old Zajac, and PK Subban. And Miles Wood, but that isn’t surprising given he is out top goal scorer. 

None of that is encouraging to me. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

You miss the point on this all the time. Nobody is saying that there aren’t encouraging signs. Nobody is saying he won’t be good. Nobody is calling him a bust. 

But to watch him put up 4 points in 17 games on March and then post charts to say “Jack’s our best offensive player” is as tiresome as you perceive pointing out his lack of scoring is. 

I don’t need a chart to tell me that 4 points in 17 games is sh!t from a 1OA top line center. 

Ok...

anyway why would calling him our best offensive player be so wrong (not even saying he is)? You yourself constantly point out how bad the entire team is at scoring, and despite Jack’s slump he’s still only 3 points out of the team lead. I certainly don’t see anyone on a nightly basis that looks much better. Maybe you could make a case for Bratt or Wood, but that’s about it. And I think Jack is definitely in the conversation. At 19 that’s both a positive for him, and an indictment of the rest of the team. 

11 hours ago, Nicomo said:

That’s fine, but the first goal off his glove is a save a #1 NHL goalie has to make 10 X out of 10. Is what it is though. We still give that Boston team fits, so it took quite and effort for them to come back and beat us. 

Nicomo I agree that first goal he should have had, No doubt about it. But he saved so many difficult shots against, anyone of them could have been a score with the same outcome. IMO the kids get great experience playing against some of the great players with Boston, not necessarily the team as a hole, and these kids do well. 

Let's Go Devils

2 minutes ago, devlman said:

Judging a 19 year old strictly on points is the dumbest idea ever, especially in a season like this one. 

8 P in 9 GP pre-covid

8 P in 25 GP post-covid

but yeah, the kid obviously just forgot how to play hockey while he was off lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brewskies said:

Nicomo I agree that first goal he should have had, No doubt about it. But he saved so many difficult shots against, anyone of them could have been a score with the same outcome. IMO the kids get great experience playing against some of the great players with Boston, not necessarily the team as a hole, and these kids do well. 

Let's Go Devils

He made some great saves (I said as much last night), and he wasn’t the reason they lost. I just hated that softy. 

The PP continues to cost us games though. I sincerely hope it’s the lack of practice time, cause if we’re stuck with Recchi another full season without much improvement it’s going to be ugly. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

8 P in 9 GP pre-covid

8 P in 25 GP post-covid

Not only that, if Palms buried his great chance setup by Jack yesterday then this isn’t even brought up. Its honestly really asinine. 

Just now, devlman said:

Not only that, if Palms buried his great chance setup by Jack yesterday then this isn’t even brought up. Its honestly really asinine. 

I just don’t understand why we can’t be both frustrated about the points not coming, but still be encouraged with how he’s playing (most nights). Ruff liked his game last night. And he doesn’t usually sugarcoat things. The one truly bad game Jack had recently he basically got benched and saw about 11 minutes of ice time. I put more stock in his evaluation of a player than a bunch of cranky fans that are mad a 19 year old isn’t carrying the team. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, devlman said:

Judging a 19 year old strictly on points is the dumbest idea ever, especially in a season like this one. 

I can appreciate that some people don't want to look at Hughes through so-called rose-colored glasses and are looking at the bottom line right now. He's not producing. 

I will offer one excuse besides Covid and growing pains. If we had a functioning power play, things would be a lot better for Jack Hughes' stat sheet.  

7 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

I can appreciate that some people don't want to look at Hughes through so-called rose-colored glasses and are looking at the bottom line right now. He's not producing. 

I will offer one excuse besides Covid and growing pains. If we had a functioning power play, things would be a lot better for Jack Hughes' stat sheet.  

But it’s not rose-colored glasses though, it’s reality lol. The kid has been outstanding. Points will come. He’s been very unlucky. Agree re the dreadful power play.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, devlman said:

But it’s not rose-colored glasses though, it’s reality lol. The kid has been outstanding. Points will come. He’s been very unlucky. Agree re the dreadful power play.

Yeah, I'm with you, that's why I said those rose-colored glasses are "so-called." 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, devlman said:

No, it’s smarter to judge it on a chart of missed opportunities. 

39 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

8 P in 9 GP pre-covid

8 P in 25 GP post-covid

Again, nobody said he can’t play hockey, just that he has basically not produced since game 4 of the season. 

33 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I just don’t understand why we can’t be both frustrated about the points not coming, but still be encouraged with how he’s playing (most nights). 

That’s  pretty much exactly what I have been saying. Future is bright. Present is a pile of sh!t. 

• Like 1