GDT: Devils @ Bruins (Again) - 7:00pm MSG+2

NJDfan1711

8 minutes ago, devlman said:

Ok bud whatever you say. Keep moving goal posts. I can get the last word in, too!

You’re arguing, on the one hand, that he hasn’t had a sh!t year because he’s only 19 and you can’t go by stats, but also it’s the fault of his line mates, the PP, other players’ slumps, who he plays against, etc. 

And I’m moving goal posts??

Hughes is a frail kid. He’s 19. There’s a lot of physical maturation to go. 

Am I annoyed this year hasn’t been his breakout year? Yes.

Am I worried about the future because of this? Absolutely not. Had he not shown flashes of being elite the first 10 games, yes, I would be worried. The fact that he showed ability out of the gate this year to be elite seems to be causing more frustration here than relief. 

5 minutes ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

Hughes is a frail kid. He’s 19. There’s a lot of physical maturation to go. 

Am I annoyed this year hasn’t been his breakout year? Yes.

Am I worried about the future because of this? Absolutely not. Had he not shown flashes of being elite the first 10 games, yes, I would be worried. The fact that he showed ability out of the gate this year to be elite seems to be causing more frustration here than relief. 

Which sums up exactly what I said, except I called his stats sh!t. 

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You’re arguing, on the one hand, that he hasn’t had a sh!t year because he’s only 19 and you can’t go by stats, but also it’s the fault of his line mates, the PP, other players’ slumps, who he plays against, etc. 

And I’m moving goal posts??

You have summed up my position accurately. Your position is all over the map that you’re moving constantly goalposts and confusing yourself in the process. It started with Jack has 16 pts = Jack bad. Then when someone explains to you why point totals are stupid to solely evaluate him on, it becomes ‘well why won’t you acknowledge his faults??!!’  Goal post shuffling all day all night. Take a nap.

31 minutes ago, devlman said:

You didn’t call his stats sh!t. You said he was having a sh!t year. More goal post moving.

Sure. Was I talking about something other than his stats? If fact, didn't you criticize me for only basing an opinion on stats? 

So who’s moving the goal posts again??

41 minutes ago, devlman said:

You have summed up my position accurately. Your position is all over the map that you’re moving constantly goalposts and confusing yourself in the process. It started with Jack has 16 pts = Jack bad. Then when someone explains to you why point totals are stupid to solely evaluate him on, it becomes ‘well why won’t you acknowledge his faults??!!’  Goal post shuffling all day all night. Take a nap.

No, that’s not quite what happened. I said 10 points in 30 games = bad, you blamed everything under the sun other than Jack, except also because of his age, and I pointed out that you blamed 10 other factors aside from the guy himself. Then you made the asinine point that “it’s all been discussed before, why dwell on it” when literally everything you said has already been discussed. 

Certain people on this site cannot hear criticism of Jack. You are one of those people. 

28 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

No, that’s not quite what happened. I said 10 points in 30 games = bad, you blamed everything under the sun other than Jack, except also because of his age, and I pointed out that you blamed 10 other factors aside from the guy himself. Then you made the asinine point that “it’s all been discussed before, why dwell on it” when literally everything you said has already been discussed. 

Certain people on this site cannot hear criticism of Jack. You are one of those people. 

I’m willing to criticize and discuss him if it goes beyond point production because that is the most basic and least intelligent of conversations. Your argument however never goes beyond that.

7 minutes ago, devlman said:

I’m willing to criticize and discuss him if it goes beyond point production because that is the most basic and least intelligent of conversations. Your argument however never goes beyond that.

It's gone beyond that every time. "There's reasons to be hopeful for the future, but presently, he is not producing." If English isn't your first language, I would be happy to get an interpreter for you. 

The real problem is, you and some others who love Hughes want to see him for more than he is right now. If you love players that have great metrics who "create" and skate fast and never finish and never put up actual points, which are the things you actually need to win games, we should just get Jacob Josefson back.  

Josefson had 20 G in 315 GP

Hughes has 14 G in 95 GP

JJ played on a team that went to the SCF and had players like Parise and Kovy. 

Hughes plays on a team that’s in 7th place and Miles Wood is leading the team in goals. 

Edited by Nicomo

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Josefson had 20 G in 315 GP

Hughes has 14 G in 95 GP

JJ played on a team that went to the SCF and had players like Parise and Kovy. 

Hughes plays on a team that’s in 7th place and Miles Wood is leading the team in goals. 

Those are all facts. the additional fact to be added is, JJ had nothing to do with the team going to the SCF. I am sure his 1 assist in the playoffs did not make the difference there. 

I will point out that I did not compare the two, Jack is clearly not on that level, thankfully. 

JJ is also one of the few guys from that era that left our team and actually found another job, albeit for only 39 games and in Buffalo. I wonder how many NHL forwards have played 8 NH: seasons (parts of, anyway) and hit double digits in goals or assists only once (10A in 2015-16). Has to be hard to stick around with those kind numbers. My first thought was former Devil Troy Crowder, who of course was not in the NHL to play hockey, but he only played parts of 6 seasons. 

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Those are all facts. the additional fact to be added is, JJ had nothing to do with the team going to the SCF. I am sure his 1 assist in the playoffs did not make the difference there. 

I will point out that I did not compare the two, Jack is clearly not on that level, thankfully. 

JJ is also one of the few guys from that era that left our team and actually found another job, albeit for only 39 games and in Buffalo. I wonder how many NHL forwards have played 8 NH: seasons (parts of, anyway) and hit double digits in goals or assists only once (10A in 2015-16). Has to be hard to stick around with those kind numbers. My first thought was former Devil Troy Crowder, who of course was not in the NHL to play hockey, but he only played parts of 6 seasons. 

The Red Wings thought that Crowder could turn into another Bob Probert...he wound up becoming very injury-prone.  Best thing about him going to the Wings (as a Group 1 FA) is that the Devils were entitled to compensation.  Lou asked for Probert himself (undoubtedly feeling confident in having been awarded Stevens when Shanahan signed with the Blues as a Group 1).  Red Wings offered Randy McKay and Dave Barr...the arbitrator awarded the Devils this package.  Devils won by losing...McKay was the most productive player from that point forward.  Red Wings got exactly seven games out of Crowder...ouch.  

• Like 3