GDT: Devils @ Bruins (Again) - 7:00pm MSG+2

2 minutes ago, devlman said:

Judging a 19 year old strictly on points is the dumbest idea ever, especially in a season like this one. 

8 P in 9 GP pre-covid

8 P in 25 GP post-covid

but yeah, the kid obviously just forgot how to play hockey while he was off lol

• Like 1
  • Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know this is a GDT thread so hyperbole is often excused following a tough loss, but the kid is 19. That’s a 1 followed by a 9. He’s battled through Covid and is playing 57 games a week all the while

Saying he’s not creating is false. He’s not finishing. There’s a big difference. 

It was basically 2 minutes for history of douchebaggery. 

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Brewskies said:

Nicomo I agree that first goal he should have had, No doubt about it. But he saved so many difficult shots against, anyone of them could have been a score with the same outcome. IMO the kids get great experience playing against some of the great players with Boston, not necessarily the team as a hole, and these kids do well. 

Let's Go Devils

He made some great saves (I said as much last night), and he wasn’t the reason they lost. I just hated that softy. 

The PP continues to cost us games though. I sincerely hope it’s the lack of practice time, cause if we’re stuck with Recchi another full season without much improvement it’s going to be ugly. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

8 P in 9 GP pre-covid

8 P in 25 GP post-covid

Not only that, if Palms buried his great chance setup by Jack yesterday then this isn’t even brought up. Its honestly really asinine. 

Just now, devlman said:

Not only that, if Palms buried his great chance setup by Jack yesterday then this isn’t even brought up. Its honestly really asinine. 

I just don’t understand why we can’t be both frustrated about the points not coming, but still be encouraged with how he’s playing (most nights). Ruff liked his game last night. And he doesn’t usually sugarcoat things. The one truly bad game Jack had recently he basically got benched and saw about 11 minutes of ice time. I put more stock in his evaluation of a player than a bunch of cranky fans that are mad a 19 year old isn’t carrying the team. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, devlman said:

Judging a 19 year old strictly on points is the dumbest idea ever, especially in a season like this one. 

I can appreciate that some people don't want to look at Hughes through so-called rose-colored glasses and are looking at the bottom line right now. He's not producing. 

I will offer one excuse besides Covid and growing pains. If we had a functioning power play, things would be a lot better for Jack Hughes' stat sheet.  

7 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

I can appreciate that some people don't want to look at Hughes through so-called rose-colored glasses and are looking at the bottom line right now. He's not producing. 

I will offer one excuse besides Covid and growing pains. If we had a functioning power play, things would be a lot better for Jack Hughes' stat sheet.  

But it’s not rose-colored glasses though, it’s reality lol. The kid has been outstanding. Points will come. He’s been very unlucky. Agree re the dreadful power play.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, devlman said:

But it’s not rose-colored glasses though, it’s reality lol. The kid has been outstanding. Points will come. He’s been very unlucky. Agree re the dreadful power play.

Yeah, I'm with you, that's why I said those rose-colored glasses are "so-called." 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, devlman said:

No, it’s smarter to judge it on a chart of missed opportunities. 

39 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

8 P in 9 GP pre-covid

8 P in 25 GP post-covid

Again, nobody said he can’t play hockey, just that he has basically not produced since game 4 of the season. 

33 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I just don’t understand why we can’t be both frustrated about the points not coming, but still be encouraged with how he’s playing (most nights). 

That’s  pretty much exactly what I have been saying. Future is bright. Present is a pile of sh!t. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, devlman said:

You have a very loose definition of outstanding.

Also, blaming the power play” is ridiculous, because he is part of that dreadful power play. 

Again, it seems like you guys are expecting other players to elevate Jack’s game rather than Jack elevating the game of the people he plays with. That’s what an “outstanding” player does. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

No, it’s smarter to judge it on a chart of missed opportunities. 

Again, nobody said he can’t play hockey, just that he has basically not produced since game 4 of the season. 

The chart shows that he is creating chances.  Shots and shot assists are the raw, black and white statistics that, in my opinion, best capture creating opportunities.  The team as a whole (Jack included) has a problem converting them into goals and assists.  The team is shooting 8.3% which is in the bottom quarter of the league.  And to pile on, the powerplay is hard to watch.  The bombs from the point are not working.  Acknowledge that and change it up.

• Like 3
Just now, mfitz804 said:

Also, blaming the power play” is ridiculous, because he is part of that dreadful power play. 

Again, it seems like you guys are expecting other players to elevate Jack’s game rather than Jack elevating the game of the people he plays with. That’s what an “outstanding” player does. 

Everyone on the PP should shoulder some of the blame. Nobody has more than 5 PPP through 34 GP. That’s horrendous. It all starts with Recchi though.

• Like 3

I might be wrong, but I don't interpret what these other dudes are saying as blaming others for Jack's lack of production.  I think the blame is laid across the entire organization.

He does elevate the play of his linemates. His linemates’ chances go through the roof when they play with him. You just don’t see it for whatever reason, maybe because it doesn’t show up in the box score...Who knows...

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, devlman said:

He does elevate the play of his linemates. His linemates’ chances go through the roof when they play with him. You just don’t see it for whatever reason, maybe because it doesn’t show up in the box score...Who knows...

We need a "high danger shots on glass/60".

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, devlman said:

I hope we lead the league in chances, we'll definitely make the playoffs. 

• Haha 1

What I think is contributing to the inconsistency of the entire team is lack of practice  and games almost every other night. No  practice to work on mistakes.  No practice for the young guys to learn. Oppressive schedule especially for the younger players as well as the vets. Ruff can only try to explain stuff. Practice is where you work to execute that advice.

Assistant coaching is another severe problem but I am talking about what I think is the biggest problem. I have more patience. Build confidence and don't look for every negative.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, StarDew said:

What I think is contributing to the inconsistency of the entire team is lack of practice  and games almost every other night. No  practice to work on mistakes.  No practice for the young guys to learn. Oppressive schedule especially for the younger players as well as the vets. Ruff can only try to explain stuff. Practice is where you work to execute that advice.

Assistant coaching is another severe problem but I am talking about what I think is the biggest problem. I have more patience. Build confidence and don't look for every negative.

I think that's definitely true. As I have said, you can't judge a guy's future based on what he's doing this season. You can, though, be irritated about it. 

27 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think that's definitely true. As I have said, you can't judge a guy's future based on what he's doing this season. You can, though, be irritated about it. 

I am not irritated with the players as much as I am with the assistant coaches at times. I find myself disappointed sometimes but rarely irritated.  Sometimes people  here go ballistic when irritated. Hate to see them really angry. 🥴

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

That’s  pretty much exactly what I have been saying. Future is bright. Present is a pile of sh!t. 

He hasn't been a pile of sh!t though, that's the point of all this. If anything he has been incredibly unlucky. You a right he hasn't put up points, no one can deny that, but apart from the game where he got benched he has been making things happen, setting up looks for people. 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

He hasn't been a pile of sh!t though, that's the point of all this. If anything he has been incredibly unlucky. You a right he hasn't put up points, no one can deny that, but apart from the game where he got benched he has been making things happen, setting up looks for people. 

There's a certain point where "unlucky" gets to be a bad argument. 10 points in 30 games out of 33 games played isn't just "unlucky". 

Like I said, plenty of reasons to think his future is bright. But thinking he has been "outstanding" when he's basically been mostly ineffective at generating any scoring is a stretch. 

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

There's a certain point where "unlucky" gets to be a bad argument. 10 points in 30 games out of 33 games played isn't just "unlucky". 

Like I said, plenty of reasons to think his future is bright. But thinking he has been "outstanding" when he's basically been mostly ineffective at generating any scoring is a stretch. 

Is there anyone on the team that you would consider mostly effective at generating scoring over the 34 games played this season?  Just to set a baseline.

Just now, Crisis said:

Is there anyone on the team that you would consider mostly effective at generating scoring over the 34 games played this season?  Just to set a baseline.

On this team?? Nobody has been consistently effective, it’s why we have maybe 1-2 guys that will get 25 points this season.

Hughes was for the first 3 games. 

Zacha was for 10-11 games

Palms has been for 2 weeks. 

Etc. 

But am I more encouraged by the fact that Kuokkanen has 16 points as a 3rd or 4th liner than that Jack has 16 as our #1 center? Probably.