2021 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

5 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

Ace pitcher cruising. 77 pitches. No stress whatsoever on DeGrom. Oh yeah, they pull him. It's so dumb it's sickening.

Oh it’s beyond infuriating.  And Sandy‘s last great managerial hire was Mickey Callaway, so not like I have any faith in him when it comes time to replace Rojas, who sounded like a befuddled moron last night.  

Just feeling that Rojas is not long for managing this team. He was chosen due to being a Mets lifer and ending up next in line after the Beltran fiasco. Nowhere else to turn. Definitely not a Cohen guy. 

still feels very interim to me and that there won't be anybody within the Mets org that would fight for/defend him if things go south early. Let's see where they are by Memorial Day but it wouldn't shock me if the move from Rojas will be swift

21 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And two things I really don't like:

Starting extra innings with a man on second.

7-inning doubleheaders.

The traditionalist in me despises it as well. Heck most baseball purists (and non purists) do

There is a way to shorten these games and still not mess with things that are sacred and resort to gimmicks

Less advertisements, less commercials between innings. Of course none of that will happen...but we can absolutely have non gimmicky extra inningns and full 9 inning games and not have it stretch out to 3am

Still part of me loves that stuff. Not 20 inning home losses to the Marlins in May...but stuff like the Rick Camp game. That 20 inning win we had in St. Louis a few years ago. It's memorable.

• Like 2

And also with the Callaway hiring...maybe the Wilpons you could say were probably totally oblivious to his background and behavior, but even Sandy had to have known about this scumbag behavior. And he hired him anyway in the hope that it would never surface

Odor acquired by the Yankees...when you look at his numbers, you’re almost shocked that Sandy never gave him a look...a power hitter who hits well under .250 and strikes out a ton?  That’s about as Sandy as it gets.

Great BP you’ve put together Sandy.  As we’ve seen so often with you, sometimes you just can’t be bothered.

Well, when you have a guy who flat-out ignores deficiencies and seems to have more fun trolling the fanbase than fixing obvious weaknesses...

13 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Well, when you have a guy who flat-out ignores deficiencies and seems to have more fun trolling the fanbase than fixing obvious weaknesses...

It's cringy too. He does come across as not caring as much as the fans and perhaps others around him. We're not asking for bad jokes/puns...just somebody who has the passion and energy and puts in the effort in terms of repairing things when they go wrong. He's always so damn late and wont address the issue until that issue has cost us over and over to the point where there's not going to be enough season or time left to turn things around

Sandy is just not for the New York market. And for a guy who elsewhere in baseball I believe is thought of as one of those savvy genius types...he's only won once. One World Series. 1989. And yes he's assembled many a quality team. Been to the playoffs often...but if not for 1989 his reputation around baseball would be totally different.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, '7' said:

It's cringy too. He does come across as not caring as much as the fans and perhaps others around him. We're not asking for bad jokes/puns...just somebody who has the passion and energy and puts in the effort in terms of repairing things when they go wrong. He's always so damn late and wont address the issue until that issue has cost us over and over to the point where there's not going to be enough season or time left to turn things around

Sandy is just not for the New York market. And for a guy who elsewhere in baseball I believe is thought of as one of those savvy genius types...he's only won once. One World Series. 1989. And yes he's assembled many a quality team. Been to the playoffs often...but if not for 1989 his reputation around baseball would be totally different.

Also fair to point out that in 2015, his first choice was Zack Wheeler and Wilmer Flores for Carlos Gomez.  Imagine if that deal had gone through?  Talk about a totally different reputation!  That World Series run never happens.  

The bolded is what bothers me the most.  He's always come off as a guy with very little urgency...almost lazy at times.  And yeah, now more than ever, just wrong for this team and this market.  

• Like 1

Speaking of no urgency, Rojas sitting McNeil in Game #3 for Villar just to make sure he plays is ridiculous.  You want to get cute against a dink pitcher fine, but Nola's one of the best pitchers in the league.  And McNeill has had good numbers against him while Villar hasn't.

I get the feeling Villar is going to be treated like a good utility man who needs to play.  Except that he’s not really that good.

So far so good for Walker. No hits in 4. But we really need some runs. That DP with the bases loaded just now is a killer. Hate having pitchers up in that spot. Even decent hitting ones

8 minutes ago, '7' said:

So far so good for Walker. No hits in 4. But we really need some runs. That DP with the bases loaded just now is a killer. Hate having pitchers up in that spot. Even decent hitting ones

lol you had to say it!  Of course he gives up a hit in the fifth.  

Yeah offense has been a bit hit or miss in this very early going.  Conforto is going to be one of those guys who has good numbers by the end of the year most seasons, but you'll be hard-pressed to remember him doing anything meaningful in the big spot.  Just one of those guys who isn't scary to other teams.  But someone's gonna pay him.  

ack. Dom Smith just misses a grand slam (or a 3 run triple) we finally get one on the board and lead 1-0...but we're gonna need more. This game just feels like a bullpen disaster waiting to happen.

2-1, dammit

Re:  the BP...I'm just waiting for Sandy to make some inappropriate joke about it.  

One run on four hits.  About to fall to 1-3.  Hardly the end of the world, but a bit of an excitement killer.  Makes Sandy's second-option pivoting and lack of energy that much more irritating, even with 158 games left to play.  

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

LOL at all the handwringing on Twitter over the end, guys have been doing what Conforto pulled since the beginning of time in baseball.

On a ball that was a strike? That's a bad job by the umpire. I love the Mets announcers, they wouldn't sugarcoat how bad a call that was. They're the best in the business.

I admit the first time I saw it in real time it didn’t look like he leaned over, it’s only on the slomo replay that you could see it so I blame the rule or lack thereof more than the umpire although he’s right at the plate.

That play might get HBP’s reviewable but really it wasn’t the difference between the Mets winning and losing, they may well have won anyway with the way they rallied in the ninth. And yeah I’m glad GKR called it out, I just have a sneaking suspicion there wouldn’t be all this national outrage if it happened TO the Mets as opposed to the little engine that could Marlins and Mattingly who everyone loves (with reason).

Edited by NJDevs4978

If there's early reason for hope, it's that what happened to end yesterday's game is forever the kind of thing that would happen TO the Mets.  Maybe the tide really is starting to turn...

At any rate, it kinda felt like a needed win...glad they got it.