2021 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

This is the most deGromest game ever.

And now we add to the no offense and crapping out with RISP by the same suspects the inevitable bullpen implosion.  Guess 2020 with no fans really wasn't a sign Diaz had found his groove in NY.

Edited by NJDevs4978

fvck everyone on this team not named deGrom.  Seriously.

Especially another loser in the making in Conforto.  Guy scares NO ONE.

I have to admit I didn't like this guy for the obvious reason he didn't actually play but now I'm kinda rooting for him out of spite to Jeffy boy who apparently didn't allow him to get surgery for a year and a half and didn't even diagnose his knee properly to where he needed a second opinion

Before the 2019 season, Lowrie signed a two-year, $20 million contract. The Mets GM was Brodie Van Wagenen, Lowrie’s former agent. But in the spring Lowrie’s knee gave him considerable pain. He was examined, then asked for a second opinion, which concluded that he had a knee fat pad impingement. The knee fat pad protects the patella tendon, and when it is damaged in any way, it is extremely painful.

Lowrie got eight plate appearances in 2019, none last season. The Mets declined to allow him to get the knee operation, he says. They threatened him with a grievance. As he sat out the 60-game season, things were unpleasant, and as soon as the Mets were eliminated, Lowrie was free to get the knee procedure, which occurred in October, right around the time Fred and Jeff Wilpon were on their way out as team owners, and Van Wagenen with them. Lowrie had the surgery and he was assured he would be ready to work regularly by the middle of March. “I missed playing so much, it was very difficult,” Lowrie says. “I would love to play two more years, then perhaps work in the business. It’s been my life for a long time, from Stanford to 14 seasons in the major leagues.”

Are there any good stories about Jeffy?  It’s amazing how EVERY story about him is about what an a$$hole he is.  Every one!

• Like 1

Was thinking more about Conforto, and it’s funny...he’s exactly the kind of guy who’s going to get a serious free agent overpay contract, and is probably going to infuriate whatever fanbase has to root for him.

In some ways, he’s a sabes geek’s wet dream.  He gets on base and his career OPS is well above average.  By season’s end, the guess here is that his numbers will often look good enough that fans who don’t watch him every day will think he’s much better than he really is.

But I see a guy who in too many ways is like later-career Wright...not that hard to pitch to and can be whiffed too often in crucial spots.  Who’s afraid of Conforto in the big moment?  Guy was a .253 career hitter prior to last year’s abbreviated burst, and he strikes out a ton.  A relatively low average hitter who strikes out plenty...hell, I’m surprised Sleepy Sandy hasn’t already offered him $250 million to stick around.

I know it’s a tough spot for the Mets...even though he’s severely flawed, I don’t kid myself that him leaving for nothing won’t hurt...OFs with a well above-average OPS+ just don’t grow on trees.  But if he stays, prepare for a LOT of failure when you really need him to come through.  He’s much more Lucas Duda with the bat during his better years here, than anything else.

12 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Long way from Queens...

Man is Arod bored.  At least Lore has a lot of coin.  Not really sure what Arod brings to the table...at least with baseball, he has tons of familiarity with the sport itself, and even though I would’ve expected him to meddle quite a bit, at least MLB was a huge part of his life for many years.  Does he know all that much about the NBA? Guess a two-year crash course is coming.  

It’s early, and the Mets did step up by committing insane dollars to Lindor...

but so far, it feels much more “same ol Mets” around here than I ever thought it would.  This “weather expert” crap is really embarrassing...right in line with something you’d expect would happen under the Wilpons’ watch.  Guys failing left and right to get guys home.  A manager who appears to be in over his head.  And more Sandyball, which of course involves ignoring obvious weaknesses...or just automatically sticking with Diaz as the closer because that’s easier than trying to fortify the BP with a guy who might offer closing depth.

They need a winning streak soon, because it’s feeling a little too like the “old days” already.

I can't kill them for Matz...he was often Charmin-soft while here and way too prone to meltdowns.  Some guys need that kick in the ass (via trade) to finally find themselves.  I don't know how much more patient the Mets should've been with him.

But, fair to say wait until the end of the season.  Lots of guys come flying out of the gate before falling back to Earth.  

Big win, as far as the sixth game of the season goes.  Felt like another frustrating loss in the making.

Big DH sweep...Familia coming in with anything less than a five run lead is a tad scary.

Not a huge Stro guy, but he’s off to a fine start this season.  

Yeah Stroman was all hat, no cattle as a Met coming into this year and needed a beginning of the season like this, it’d be nice if we got last season Toronto Stroman this year.

Imagine if he was doing this elsewhere along with Matz and now freaking Wilson Ramos who has SIX HR’s for Detroit so far. Would have been nice if he didn’t just take Brodie’s money and get fat here.

Re:  Ramos...his first year offensively was fine.  Last year not so much...but Ramos' problem was more that he was simply inadequate at catching, and it was really becoming a serious issue.

Remember what John Buck did in his first 10 games with the Mets (19 RBI)?  Ramos will come back down to Earth soon enough.  

Agree about Stro...he's one of those guys who's just annoying enough that he pretty much needs to be decent at the very least...he's a hard horse to back or be patient with when he's in a funk, and he basically decided to bail on last season in a way that was kinda sh!tty.  So far so good in the VERY early going.  

We needed that DH sweep in the worst way because here comes Wheeler who I feel wants to stick it down our throats. Can bad Wheeler show up please?

Mets are better than the Phillies and need to step on their throats here. Sweep 'em and send them away with their tails between their legs. Really they should be 4-1 against them so far this year if not for the game 1 debacle

The bats have not gotten going yet. Only 24 runs in 7 games...this offense is capable of more.

1 hour ago, '7' said:

We needed that DH sweep in the worst way because here comes Wheeler who I feel wants to stick it down our throats. Can bad Wheeler show up please?

Mets are better than the Phillies and need to step on their throats here. Sweep 'em and send them away with their tails between their legs. Really they should be 4-1 against them so far this year if not for the game 1 debacle

The bats have not gotten going yet. Only 24 runs in 7 games...this offense is capable of more.

Their OPS is actually not bad, compared to the rest of the NL right now...it's at .707 (98 OPS+)...that's good for 5th overall.  Of course, the problems are a low team BA (.236) and not much hitting with RISP.  

They will not end the season scoring about 3.5 runs per game.  Way too much talent here for that...good news is they're 4-3, despite wasting two terrific deGrom starts, and stranding small villages on base.  Could be a lot worse. 

Here we go again.  Somehow Wheeler gets through 6 innings.  Up to the pen to take it home.

Mets get a SF from Alonso and a two-run jack from McCann.  Nice job extending the lead.

Diaz does have those filthy innings sometimes.

Nice job by this team tonight, all-around.