2021 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

Well at least even the Mets can't find a way to waste a deGrom start during a rainout.  This has been one of the most disjointed Aprils that I can ever remember...probably THE most.  It feels like the Mets have barely played.  

Yeah although I'm not too happy about deGrom having to pitch in the pinball box that is Coors and likely freezing weather.  With our luck he'll go two innings and the rain'll come down there though.

Edited by NJDevs4978

ugggghhhhhh

https://theathletic.com/2519652/2021/04/16/ive-barely-hit-on-you-inside-a-mets-culture-rotten-beyond-mickey-callaway-and-jared-porter/?redirected=1

What festered under the Wilpons was more rotten than we can never imagine

Just flush out the $hit and let's move on. These clowns are no longer owning the team or running day operations. Cohen is investigating what went on...what kind of culture existed here. These stories cropping up are irritating but it's important to make known that the current leadership of the franchise is trying to fix things (and they've made missteps of their own)

Sandy though...gotta wonder how much of this he turned a blind eye to

I don't know what it is about Sandy...but he's just one of those guys that every time he thinks he's explaining something, he just was a way of making things sound even worse.  He comes off as very "Get over it" and "This will all go away" in some of his past dealings...almost like he's shrugging his shoulders at times and asking "Whaaaaat?"  I don't think he thought some of this stuff was a big deal at the time, and likely still doesn't, but is struggling to put himself in the shoes of these women.

Yeah I get the feeling he'll step down in time...not strictly because of all of this, but it will definitely be a factor whenever he "Looks forward to the next chapter of his life."  

39 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Needless to say no game tonight either 

Guess the baseball gods are coming up with new ways to fvck the Mets...

9 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Guess the baseball gods are coming up with new ways to fvck the Mets...

Might not be the worst thing in the world. 7 inning doubleheader’s are dumb but at least it’s a huge advantage for the Mets with solid starters and avoiding the pen. 

Also, some of the games are getting bumped back - hopefully Syndergaard will be back for a few of them. 

18 hours ago, '7' said:

ugggghhhhhh

https://theathletic.com/2519652/2021/04/16/ive-barely-hit-on-you-inside-a-mets-culture-rotten-beyond-mickey-callaway-and-jared-porter/?redirected=1

What festered under the Wilpons was more rotten than we can never imagine

Just flush out the $hit and let's move on. These clowns are no longer owning the team or running day operations. Cohen is investigating what went on...what kind of culture existed here. These stories cropping up are irritating but it's important to make known that the current leadership of the franchise is trying to fix things (and they've made missteps of their own)

Sandy though...gotta wonder how much of this he turned a blind eye to

re: Sandy, I’ve probably said this before but while he’s obviously got high personal integrity and I don’t believe would do any of the stuff that all these other cretins did, I’m also not surprised that old school guys like him and Terry Francona (who doesn’t get thrown in the mix enough with the Callaway crap) take a ‘boys will be boys’ approach toward a lot of this stuff and don’t have the urgency in reacting to it or put quite the importance on it that our more attuned sensibilities demand everyone does in 2021.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Well said Has...I think that’s it....regardless how I feel about Sandy the front office exec, I don’t think in a million years he’d ever be guilty of sexual harassment himself.  But even now I don’t think he’s capable of realizing how these incidents are viewed by most in 2021...he’s simply too old school to adjust his thinking.

Glad they gutted out a W for deGrom yesterday. Would've been an embarrassment otherwise. Even as things stand the lack of support he gets is just...seems like it shouldn't be statistically possible

Mets Offense needs to pick things up...but just glancing around the majors, seems like pitching is dominating things early

All things considered, impossible not to be happy with 7-4 to start the season.  Especially since the team is clearly not firing on all cylinders yet.

Stroman not pitching like Stroman so far...not a guy known for limiting baserunners.

Defense is going to be a problem.  Sandy doesn’t think it’s a priority.  Never did.

Oh and this umpire has sucked ass tonight.  Good on Luis for letting him know it.

And already we’re at our first crisis point with Lindor, under .200 still after an off year last year. At least I feel more confident any bad contract won’t stop Cohen from paying the next guy but I hope to heck we actually are getting vintage Lindor for a few years at least.

7 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And already we’re at our first crisis point with Lindor, under .200 still after an off year last year. At least I feel more confident any bad contract won’t stop Cohen from paying the next guy but I hope to heck we actually are getting vintage Lindor for a few years at least.

I'm not really that concerned about the offense yet, including Lindor...that group will hit.  

re:  Lindor, the Mets getting off to a decent start (7-5 doesn't sound that impressive, but that projects to 94 wins) has helped him big-time...if the Mets were, say, 4-8, fans would be calling up the WFAN screaming about this overrated overpaid stiff playing short.  If he's hitting under .250 by June and failing in a lot of big spots, then I'll start to worry that he's in for a meh year.  It's just too early for that.

The infield corners though...this is a big friggin' problem.  JD Davis is a mess there, and on the other side, Alonso isn't the kind of glove that can save mistakes.  He can't be a meh bat...especially since a much better defensive first baseman is already on the team.  But this is how Sandy rolls...for some reason, defense is just something he completely ignores.  

9 minutes ago, '7' said:

Gsellman is absolute trash. Bringing him into any game is a white flag.

Mets are still the team of 1000 chances.  Gsellman just isn’t good.

14 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm not really that concerned about the offense yet, including Lindor...that group will hit.  

re:  Lindor, the Mets getting off to a decent start (7-5 doesn't sound that impressive, but that projects to 94 wins) has helped him big-time...if the Mets were, say, 4-8, fans would be calling up the WFAN screaming about this overrated overpaid stiff playing short.  If he's hitting under .250 by June and failing in a lot of big spots, then I'll start to worry that he's in for a meh year.  It's just too early for that.

The infield corners though...this is a big friggin' problem.  JD Davis is a mess there, and on the other side, Alonso isn't the kind of glove that can save mistakes.  He can't be a meh bat...especially since a much better defensive first baseman is already on the team.  But this is how Sandy rolls...for some reason, defense is just something he completely ignores.  

This is the NL team most in need of the DH. 

• Like 1

Nice shot by Alonso and those shots before and after by Smith and Conforto were solid, but damn baseball in 2021 is really boring at times.  Why can’t anyone just attempt to put the damn balls in play?!  The constant Ks are just unbearable.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Nice shot by Alonso and those shots before and after by Smith and Conforto were solid, but damn baseball in 2021 is really boring at times.  Why can’t anyone just attempt to put the damn balls in play?!  The constant Ks are just unbearable.

It's a problem. The diversity of play has really dropped. Every team just tries to do the same thing. You used to have teams that were mashers, others were contact teams, some were slap the ball around and run teams (the old Cards) All of that seems gone now. Nobody knows how to play small ball when necessary. Situational play that even the slugging teams back then knew how to execute when needed...that seems long gone

I kind of miss some of the old cat and mouse stuff that would happen back then. The little games within a game. Can Benito Santiago throw out Vince Coleman etc. That stuff doesn't happen anymore it seems

• Like 1

As big a rival as the Cardinals were, man it’d be great if just one team played Whiteyball and won with it consistently (even Whitey’s crew had an on year-off year inconsistency), but that might be the only thing that can change the paradigm.

10 hours ago, '7' said:

It's a problem. The diversity of play has really dropped. Every team just tries to do the same thing. You used to have teams that were mashers, others were contact teams, some were slap the ball around and run teams (the old Cards) All of that seems gone now. Nobody knows how to play small ball when necessary. Situational play that even the slugging teams back then knew how to execute when needed...that seems long gone

I kind of miss some of the old cat and mouse stuff that would happen back then. The little games within a game. Can Benito Santiago throw out Vince Coleman etc. That stuff doesn't happen anymore it seems

This posts nails everything that's wrong with baseball in 2021.  You are 100% right, back in the day there were teams that had specific ways of playing the game that were often very different (speed, defense and timely hitting; pitching and maybe some power; smallballers, etc), and those differences made for some compelling matchups.  The only thing that gives teams an "identity" these days is how much money they're willing and/or able to spend on players. 

Baseball games used to be an event for me...the nuances, the strategies...in the 80s and 90s, my parents used to ask me how I could watch so much baseball (I'd watch damn near every game).  It was because I truly loved the game, simple as that.  Now when I'm watching, I find myself flipping back and forth between other shows (rarely used to do that), and not really zoning in and enjoying watching like I once did.  Last night was embarrassing in some ways...6 whiffs against a guy like Williams?  Back in the day a guy like him maybe averages 5 K per 9 IP, tops...and you had a lot of guys who didn't have strikeout-type stuff, so once upon a time hitters simply did what they were supposed to do...they'd at least make contact, put the ball in play, move runners along with productive outs, etc.  Somehow since the start of last season, Williams has 68 K in 74.2 IP.  A guy with his stuff averaging over 8 K per 9 IP?!  That's just ridiculous.  But these friggin' hitters with their collective "We ain't gettin' cheated" mentality...they've all taken the fun out of the game, and you are dead on, they've taken the little games within the games out as well.  So many innings where it feels like at least two guys wind up K'ing, not moving a runner along, a guy hitting a leadoff double and then never moving up as two of the next three hitters strike out (with a weak pop-up in-between).  It sucks and it's not terribly entertaining.

As for the Mets, they'll hit.  At 7-7 I'm still not concerned about this season somehow becoming non-competitive.  Still think they win 90 games.  Could've been more if Can't-Be-Bothered-Sandy had any interest in addressing obvious weaknesses, but he didn't, so watching this team kick the ball around or the bullpen trying to take games home will be season-long issues.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Guess since these dipsh!ts continue to be incapable of supporting deGrom...the poor guy figures he might as well do it himself.  Of course Rojas will probably decide that Jake is tired from having been on base, and take him out too early.

Nimmo with a seeing-eye grounder hit, drives in a pair.  Finally, a solid lead for Jake to work with!

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976