2021 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

Diaz is like the new Beltran, it’s gonna take a playoff run at least for Met fans to warm up to him though like with Beltran he’s pretty much done what he needed to after a disastrous first season so far. How he responds to pennant race games remain to be seen though.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

Diaz is a lot like Benitez...he can truly dominate at times and he can get on solid runs, but truly trusting in him is another beast entirely.  He always feels like he's a walk or a couple of hits away from an implosion.

2019 is really hard to get out of our heads.  He's only allowed 2 HR in 45 IP since the start of last season...if someone asked me to guess, I would've guessed 6 or 7.  All of his other numbers (except for BB/9) are pretty solid over that time frame, really:  45 IP, 33 H, 12 ER, 2 HR, 21 BB, 76 K, 1.20 WHIP, 2.40 ERA, 2.04 FIP...he's also hit four guys, which doesn't sound like much, but that's four extra baserunners...so his WHIP is more like 1.29, which is kinda high for a closer...and part of the reason it can still be uncomfortable watching him, even when he doesn't blow the game.

I could be wrong, but it seems like his HBPs always come at the worst possible time...and because they don't figure into his quick-glance stats (and not even his WHIP, which doesn't include HBPs), that's an easy thing to overlook.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

3 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Oof Mickeyball on the ineligible list until the end of next season. Another real winning hire from the Jeff and Sandy show

https://www.mlb.com/mets/news/mickey-callaway-placed-on-ineligible-list

Not surprised...seemed like Mickey was screwed from the beginning, based on what was out there.

Kinda hoping this is a one-and-done season for Sandy, where he pretty much “retires” or moves on.  Just feels like there’s not much credibility if he stays on, especially in the current environment.

The Mets really should not say anything about injuries until they truly know what's going on.  Not that anything they say without a diagnosis is necessarily binding, but at the same time, this has happened enough times that when it happens yet AGAIN, it's just too easy to mutter "Yep, same ol fvcking Mets"...YET AGAIN.

Noah's probably stuck with a bet-on-himself one-year-deal now.  Just way too much of an injury history to go long-term with him...but then again Wheeler missed two full seasons and got a nice long-term deal...so who the hell knows?  

Mets actually have a shot at a DH sweep today.  Staying over .500 for as long as possible with that absolute mess of a lineup is huge.  

Nice to see some actual offense.  Not like the Braves haven’t helped with some weak D, but at least we’re seeing some runs.  

Ok Francisco now let’s see if you can do that in a moment that isn’t pure garbage time.  But I guess it’s a start.

It's astounding how many games behind the Mets are some of these teams. What are we like 9 or 10 behind the Dbacks. Covid...delays, the crunch the Mets will have to go through to even things up will be brutal

7 inning DH games will help a little, as far as the bullpen goes.  But yeah, some rotten luck, especially with the weather.  

Rojas strikes again...deGrom threw 70 pitches through 6 IP (and of course was his typically beastly self), and he’s taken out of the game.  At least it looks like the pen should be able to finish the D’Backs off.  

EDIT:  Apparently the plan (deGrom said this after the game) was 6 IP or 85 pitches (guess it was a case of whichever came first).  Still think deGrom could've gone another inning with the way he was pitching, but oh well.

On a side note, it is funny, how people will read into a statement and try to make more out of it than there really is.  Taillon is getting criticized in some circles for taking a "dig" at the Yankees' offense (or lack thereof)...I don't see what he said here that was so awful.  He even said it's his job to stop the other guys.  Is there a pitcher around who wouldn't say it's nice to pitch with a lead?  I just don't see how what he said is supposed to be some shot at his teammates.

Bryan Hoch on Twitter: "Jameson Taillon: "It'd be nice to pitch with a lead, but that's how it's going right now. It's my job to go out there and put up zeroes." #YankeesZoomRoom https://t.co/ptxfiPa6qc" / Twitter

What the Mets have been able to do with this kind of makeshift lineup....it's very impressive. And on top of that with a dullard manager who is in over his head. This is the kind of stuff we'd laud other teams for every year when some blah lineup walks into Citi and takes a key 2 of 3 FROM the Mets. Not letting the injuries get to them. Seeing this more as adversity to be conquered rather than adversity destined to trample you

We have lot to be grateful for in this Failure to Launch of a division as well

Good to see Alonso with a big hit last night...we're gonna need to see more of the long ball from him as well as the season progresses

Edited by '7'

Yeah, as far as the rest of the division goes, you wonder when one of these other teams is finally going to get on a real roll.  Feels like SOMEONE will get it going at some point...yet it keeps not happening.  Of course no one is truly out of it either.

And yeah, baseball in general has become kind of an ugly game now, and the Mets have had their share of ugly wins (the team BA is .229), but the fact is, they're getting it done more often than not.  15-7 in their last 22, in spite of players dropping like flies on a seemingly daily basis (as least some are starting to come back).  FWIW, the Mets haven't played well against teams with records over .500...just 2-10 so far.  Have also pitched MUCH better at home than on the road.  Bears watching.

Check out Matt Harvey's numbers over his last four starts...that 3.60 ERA he somehow managed to put up through seven starts already seems like a million years ago:

13.2 IP, 29 H, 23 ER, 4 HR, 6 BB, 17 K (everyone's a strikeout pitcher in 2021), 1.171 OPS against, .420 BA against, 15.15 ERA

I know the Orioles (losers of 14 straight) have nothing to play for, but you wonder how many more starts he's got.  It's really gotten very ugly for him, yet again.

And to be clear...I'm actually kinda rooting for him.  For one, he seems like a much different guy than the one who was harder and harder to take, as his time here wore on.  For another, I think it would be cool if he somehow managed to beat the odds and find a second career as a decent, serviceable fifth-starter...underdog stories are always fun.  I just feel for him, because when he got off to a not-awful start, he was probably feeling like it was the beginning of him re-establishing himself as a legit major-leaguer...far from a star, but at least good enough to compete.  Now he's back to just getting shelled every time he starts a game...with numbers that are just comically terrible.  We've been through it, and it wasn't like he had an extended run of brilliance in actual seasons, but this guy was so good in his youth...it's gone SO much the other way for him.  I can't imagine what he must be feeling after yet another shellacking.  

I’m not a huge believer in Rojas yet but he does get credit for his part in helping the team stay afloat during all these injuries and rainouts. Plus he knew the extra innings pitcher on base rule and HOF’er Tony LaRussa didn’t fwiw 

6 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I’m not a huge believer in Rojas yet but he does get credit for his part in helping the team stay afloat during all these injuries and rainouts. Plus he knew the extra innings pitcher on base rule and HOF’er Tony LaRussa didn’t fwiw 

He seems like a guy who's going to get in the way much more often than he'll actually help...but yeah, the results are what they are, and right now the Mets are a first-place team and haven't fallen apart, despite being decimated by injuries.  

Trevor fvcking May.  This guy fvcking sucks.

Diaz also proving why it’s just not easy to trust him.

And can someone tell the idiot manager that he has Lugo now?!  If the Mets lose with him tonight, so be it.  

48 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Let sleeping dogs lie, don’t piss off losing teams going through the motions. That altercation with Stroman and Rojas woke Arizona up a la the stupid Reyes fight with Miguel Olivo the next to last game of 2007.

If anything, Stroman kinda reminded me why I was never a big fan of his.  Yeah, he’s having a good year, but what 1987 was to hitters, 2021 is to pitchers.  Lots of pitchers are having “good years”.