2021 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

Like Darling just said, not like the Mets have a ton of pitching depth at the moment.  Unless they’re willing to sit Peterson down for a guy like Gsellman, not sure what they do exactly.  Losing Carrasco and Noah for longer than expected is really starting to hurt.

Yeah sadly they can’t really afford to street Peterson until someone comes back or they make a trade. What I’d do before sending him down is demoting him from starter to bulk middle inning guy and have someone else as the opener, as much as I loathe the concept maybe that gets him going somehow. They’ve been doing that on and off with Lucchesi as it is but it seems to have got him going.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

If that isn’t the start that ends poor Matt Harvey’s career, I don’t know what is.  The numbers over his last 6 starts are off-the-charts god-awful...in 19.2 IP, he’s allowed 39 hits (7 of them home runs) and 31 ER.  He tried and I’m sure he’s given it his all...there’s just absolutely nothing left.  And it’s sad watching him just getting destroyed, start after start.

Wow...interesting tin-foil theories from Alonso, about how MLB may liven or deaden balls depending on free agent classes to be.  Get the feeling he’ll be hearing from lots o’ parties about that.

Yeah that’s…odd though I can’t say I’m surprised to hear A player make the case it’s somehow a grand anti union conspiracy at this point given how toxic things are, I wouldn’t have put money on Alonso and his two plus years in MLB being the one to do it. They must be serving the Kool Aid in double doses at Union meetings.

Edited by NJDevs4978

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If that isn’t the start that ends poor Matt Harvey’s career, I don’t know what is.  The numbers over his last 6 starts are off-the-charts god-awful...in 19.2 IP, he’s allowed 39 hits (7 of them home runs) and 31 ER.  He tried and I’m sure he’s given it his all...there’s just absolutely nothing left.  And it’s sad watching him just getting destroyed, start after start.

I can’t believe the O’s kept him over Felix lol, then again Felix hasn’t caught on anywhere yet either so he probably had health issues.

Edited by NJDevs4978

On 6/8/2021 at 8:27 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Like Darling just said, not like the Mets have a ton of pitching depth at the moment.  Unless they’re willing to sit Peterson down for a guy like Gsellman, not sure what they do exactly.  Losing Carrasco and Noah for longer than expected is really starting to hurt.

Another pause for Carrasco that they aren’t terming a setback as they transfer him to the 60-day DL. See you in September as a bullpen pitcher I guess

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I can’t believe the O’s kept him over Felix lol, then again Felix hasn’t caught on anywhere yet either so he probably had health issues.

Looked up some info and apparently Felix himself opted out of his minor league deal with Baltimore...but it wasn’t looking good for him at all.  7.94 ERA in spring training, with a constantly sore elbow and a fastball hovering in the mid-80s.  I looked up his career numbers, and admittedly I’d forgotten how both consistent AND terrific he’d been for several years.  He was a hell of a pitcher from 2009-2015.

But like Harvey, Felix is a guy who’s just never going to come close to regaining his form, should be still be interested in trying to hang on...I really hope Harvey just calls it quits soon.  These last six starts...good lord.

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Another pause for Carrasco that they aren’t terming a setback as they transfer him to the 60-day DL. See you in September as a bullpen pitcher I guess

I’ll be stunned if we ever see him pitch in 2021.  The Mets may have to shop for an arm at the deadline...sucks, but I don’t know how they can possibly count on Noah or Carrasco at this point.  

Interesting little not, the Mets (though they have played the fewest games in baseball) Met pitchers have surrendered the fewest home runs in the league. A mere 38. The closest team to them is the Marlins with 47 in 7 more games played

Also 2nd only to SD in staff ERA

Edited by '7'

15 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Wow...interesting tin-foil theories from Alonso, about how MLB may liven or deaden balls depending on free agent classes to be.  Get the feeling he’ll be hearing from lots o’ parties about that.

Alonso does have a propensity to chirp a bit from time to time, but honestly I kind of believe him on this one. Concrete proof of it will be mighty difficult though (if not impossible)

Schedule is about to get pretty hairy, leading up to the ASB...33 games in 31 days, three DHs, and exactly one day off (June 24...my soon-to-be 51st birthday).  Lots of big games too...starting with 7 at home against the Padres and Cubs, followed by 16 straight divisional games, then a three-game set against the Yanks in the Bronx.  They play three more against a tough Milwaukee team, then get four against the Pirates (they'll need an easier opponent by then)...then finally, a much-needed break.  They open up the second half against the Pirates and the Reds (could prove helpful in coming out of the second-half gate strong).  High volume of second-half games too...as far as off-days go, they get a fair amount of them come September (four in the last half of the month, which could be an absolute godsend).  But not a whole lot before that...and two more DHs to boot.

Depending on how healthy they are, I can't really ask for much more than 18-15 over these 33 to close out the first half...might seem like I'm aiming low, but I can see these group really getting worn down...and let's face it, there's issues with 40% of the rotation...and the sheer number of games means that guys will be asked to start who may not be up to snuff (again, Carrasco and Noah not being able to come back on schedule is really going to hurt).  I can even see the Mets falling out of first...but they should still be well within striking distance of first, which means there will be no reason to hit the panic button.  Curious to see if they try to pick up a starting pitcher at some point...even if it's just a back-of-the-rotation type.      

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

fvcking Rojas...just HAD to take deGrom out of this game after 80 pitches.  Idiot.

ugh. Of course. Nice Birthday present for Mr. Cohen from the baseball Gods. Things were going just a little too good for the Mets of late, and of course that cannot be allowed to continue

Hopefully not serious, he was rolling toight.

• Shocking 1

Well at least they won the game.  Now just hope it’s not too serious for Jake.

FWIW Jake just said he didn’t feel like it was anything serious, and that he’s optimistic.  Says he’s not worried.

Looks like Sandy may finally be hitting on some of his “lesser” FA targets…Walker and Villar are playing off so far.  

Not a Lucchesi fan and was worried things could crumble early, but to his credit he totally settled in (and even if things did fall apart how could I argue with today after the last two nights)

Familia in some big trouble here. Got through it last inning...not sure he'll be so lucky here

They're still just...they're not hitting at all but they're getting just enough offense at the right times. Feels like the Mets for the first time in forever are getting quite lucky more often than not.

Edited by '7'