2021 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

Familia allows villages of baserunners…was only a matter of time before it finally came back to bite him.  Hopefully Barnes can get out of this with no more damage.  

Nice fat pitch a$$hole.

In ways Familia deserved that…with all of the runners that reach base against him, he’s been incredibly lucky.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Oh well…not expecting a comeback…that was really a boot to the balls kinda inning.  That being said, if someone had told me the Mets would win four out of seven against the Padres, I would’ve taken it.  Only downer is Lucchesi was good today…hate to see a game like that from him be wasted.  

Brilliant…says it all about what’s wrong with baseball these days:

https://medium.com/@Original__MC1/colons-corner-this-game-has-a-heartbeat-or-at-least-it-used-to-fb521b20a586

The truly hilarious part from the Yankee perspective is all their power is right handed, in a park tailored to lefty mashers. They aren’t even playing to the dimensions of their own park let alone intangibles.

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The truly hilarious part from the Yankee perspective is all their power is right handed, in a park tailored to lefty mashers. They aren’t even playing to the dimensions of their own park let alone intangibles.

Looking forward to some team trying to put together a legit smallball club, with lots o' guys who do the little things (like daring NOT to hit directly into shifts, for starters).  I get the feeling some GM will try it within the next few years...with his team becoming a MUCH needed breath of fresh air.  I know people didn't bother to follow the 2015 KC Royals blueprint (usually you get copycatting everywhere when a team succeeds winning a certain way), but I think the game is broken enough that some are starting to realize that analytics are overrated and not making for a compelling product in the slightest.  Would also help if MLB would quite screwing around with the baseballs...

21 minutes ago, '7' said:

Alright we got some life out of Dom. Home run and a 2 out RBI tonight so far. And Peterson actually pitching well so far!

Yeah huge start from Peterson tonight.  Hope it leads to a string of solid starts.

Jesus…of course, Peterson only threw 73 pitches, but analytics…nope, doesn’t matter how well a guy’s pitching…can’t have a guy face a lineup a third time, because heaven fvcking forbid.  

Fortunately the Cubs never built off those back-to-back dingers…funny, Diaz has been mostly solid this year, but I still get very nervous when he comes into games.  Can’t help it.

Walker today, deGrom tomorrow, Stroman to follow.  Not asking for the Mets to win all three...but really would be nice to see them manage two out of three.  That's a hell of a start to this 33-games-in-31-days sprint...5-2 against two of the better teams in the NL.  

12 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Fortunately the Cubs never built off those back-to-back dingers…funny, Diaz has been mostly solid this year, but I still get very nervous when he comes into games.  Can’t help it.

Diaz is one of those You Know Right Away closer when he doesn't have it. There are guys who get an out, get 2 outs, or a booted ball and then the unraveling starts. Diaz is a guy who if he doesn't have it you will see from the first batter he faces. I'm definitely one of those guys not averse to pulling a closer before it's too late.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Jesus…of course, Peterson only threw 73 pitches, but analytics…nope, doesn’t matter how well a guy’s pitching…can’t have a guy face a lineup a third time, because heaven fvcking forbid.  

Normally I hate the early hook, but because it’s Peterson I’m fine with getting him out on a good note and building off of that, although Luis - or our analytics - seem to give an exaggerated importance to up/downs. If it was one of the big three then load management to that degree would drive me crazier.

Edited by NJDevs4978

27 minutes ago, '7' said:

Diaz is one of those You Know Right Away closer when he doesn't have it. There are guys who get an out, get 2 outs, or a booted ball and then the unraveling starts. Diaz is a guy who if he doesn't have it you will see from the first batter he faces. I'm definitely one of those guys not averse to pulling a closer before it's too late.

Agree fully, I never understood the "Die with my closer no matter what mentality", especially if you have another option in the 'pen that could still get it done.  I don't believe that most closers are so sensitive by nature that you don't dare take them out of the game if it's clearly not going to be their night.  

19 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Normally I hate the early hook, but because it’s Peterson I’m fine with getting him out on a good note and building off of that, although Luis - or our analytics - seem to give an exaggerated importance to up/downs. If it was one of the big three then load management to that degree would drive me crazier.

I hear what you're saying, but given the number of games to be played before the ASB (and two DHs coming up soon), I say any night that you have a starter who's thrown relatively few pitches and is getting it done (regardless of who it is), try to get some more outs out of him.

That ups/downs crap (and the new "Starters shouldn't face hitters a third time" mentality) is one of many things that make analytics detestable.    

Yeah the schedule will be an issue imminently but we don’t even manage the bullpen well when we have days off a la being stuck with Familia throwing 41 pitches and Barnes giving it up Sunday despite having two days off and two blowout games last week.

Lugo gets some help from the Cubs’ third base coach, but also gets the huge K to end the game.  Well done boys.  

41 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Really hope Walker can stay healthy.  He’s been terrific and then some.

A very pleasant surprise. And today it looked like things could unravel early. He got out of the first, shook off the Baez home run a bit later and settled in. Showed some mental toughness. 

Soooo the Mets now have 103 games left on their schedule.  To reach 90 wins (seems like a good number to shoot for, to win this division), they have to go 56-47 the rest of the way.

Compare that with what the other teams in their division all have to do to reach 90 (bolded is if the Mets can reach 93 wins...they'd need to go 59-44 to do that, which is about the same win% they've put up so far this season):

Phillies (97 games left):  58-39  (61-36)

Braves (98 games left):  60-38  (63-35)

Nationals (98 games left):  61-37  (64-34)

Marlins (95 games left):  61-34  (64-31)

Not saying that the Mets have this thing wrapped up, but safe to say that unlike the Mets, the rest of the teams in the NL East are going to have to improve by leaps and bounds, as far as their winning%s go.  Not sure that they'll have that in them...another way to look at it:  the Mets have gone 23-12 in their past 35 games.  Are any of the above teams capable of a run like that?  None of them have shown that thus far.

If the Mets can get to 93+ wins, then it's REALLY hard to imagine any of their division opponents being able to catch up (see bolded numbers above).

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Soooo the Mets now have 103 games left on their schedule.  To reach 90 wins (seems like a good number to shoot for, to win this division), they have to go 56-47 the rest of the way.

Compare that with what the other teams in their division all have to do to reach 90 (bolded is if the Mets can reach 93 wins...they'd need to go 59-44 to do that, which is about the same win% they've put up so far this season):

Phillies (97 games left):  58-39  (61-36)

Braves (98 games left):  60-38  (63-35)

Nationals (98 games left):  61-37  (64-34)

Marlins (95 games left):  61-34  (64-31)

Not saying that the Mets have this thing wrapped up, but safe to say that unlike the Mets, the rest of the teams in the NL East are going to have to improve by leaps and bounds, as far as their winning%s go.  Not sure that they'll have that in them...another way to look at it:  the Mets have gone 23-12 in their past 35 games.  Are any of the above teams capable of a run like that?  None of them have shown that thus far.

If the Mets can get to 93+ wins, then it's REALLY hard to imagine any of their division opponents being able to catch up (see bolded numbers above).

Braves I always fear. They've really been underwhelming this year but are still hanging around and are capable of ripping off 11 wins in 13 type stretches. I just hope Morton, Smyly, and Fried (who was spectacular last year in 11 starts) continue stinking up the joint

Phillies strike me as a typical middle rung team. Tease you a bit, and finish 81-81

1 hour ago, '7' said:

Braves I always fear. They've really been underwhelming this year but are still hanging around and are capable of ripping off 11 wins in 13 type stretches. I just hope Morton, Smyly, and Fried (who was spectacular last year in 11 starts) continue stinking up the joint

Phillies strike me as a typical middle rung team. Tease you a bit, and finish 81-81

Time is starting to run a little short already for those teams though (even the Braves)...if the Mets can keep winning at their current pace (don't want to make it sound like that's some guarantee), they're going to be fairly hard to catch.  We're not just talking about one burst...we're talking about the Braves needing to play .643 ball the rest of the way to finish with 93 wins.  I'll admit that it's kind of early to start trying to predict wins needed to take the division, and if the Mets were to go into an extended funk, all of this talk goes out the window...I'm kinda assuming the Mets will find their way to a minimum of 90 wins.   If they play roughly .500 ball from here on out and wind up with 85 wins or so, then they'll have let the rest of the NL East off the hook.