2021 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

Jake sounds flustered…I can understand why.  He’s talked about making his next start on Monday, but gotta think Mets err on the side of caution this time…how can they not?

You have to wonder too if the Mets crack medical team is somehow missing something here (as usual).  How can all his MRI's come back clean and he keep getting something else tweaked on a start by start basis?  Apart from the obvious worry - he's throwing harder and faster in games than any starter ever.  

Of course Met fans can't have nice things without a caveat.

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

You have to wonder too if the Mets crack medical team is somehow missing something here (as usual).  How can all his MRI's come back clean and he keep getting something else tweaked on a start by start basis?  Apart from the obvious worry - he's throwing harder and faster in games than any starter ever.  

One thing about deGrom is that he doesn't really have the ideal power pitcher's build...he's so lanky.  His delivery has always looked smooth and relatively effortless, but ya gotta wonder if his body simply isn't up to the stress of throwing so damned hard. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

3 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Honestly I mean yes it is making him historically dominant. But he's also a human being and how long can he keep throwing like this? Is a human arm meant to undergo this kind of strain so often.

I'd rather a slightly more hittable deGrom give us 4-5 more great years than deGrom have a legendary pitching season and decimate his arm.

Edited by '7'

3 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

BTW on another note, Keith spilled the beans on the telecast last night that GARY THORNE is filling in for Cohen during a series in Pittsburgh next month...holy flashback central

I loved Thorne as the Devils guy and Mets. Always had a ton of enthusiasm and made the games sound bigger. He's 70+ now so I really don't know if he'll be quite the same...but looking forward to it.

I loved him doing hockey. Don't care how many names he got wrong he had tremendous passion and a powerful voice

6 minutes ago, '7' said:

Honestly I mean yes it is making him historically dominant. But he's also a human being and how long can he keep throwing like this? Is a human arm meant to undergo this kind of strain so often.

I'd rather a slightly more hittable deGrom give us 4-5 more great years than deGrom have a legendary pitching season and decimate his arm.

I think he's learned to use other parts of his body to get that extra oomph on his fastball...I'm guessing maybe it's those OTHER parts (shoulder, lat, etc) that may not be up to the strain.  

• Like 1

Too bad they wasted another good performance by Stroman but I'm surprised they haven't had more of these dead offensive games in the last few weeks.  At least reinforcements (Conforto/McNeil) SHOULD be on the way in the next week or so.

5 out of 7 against the Padres and Cubs is fine…sure, would’ve been awesome to get the sweep, but the lineup is still on the iffy side.

Now comes the big slew of division games…Mets can really set themselves up nicely here if they can manage not to lose any of these series…not saying they have to sweep or even win them all, but at least split. If they can come out of this stretch with an even bigger division lead (with many more games off the schedule), they’ll be in good shape.

Diaz…bleech

Of course, not his fault that the Mets offense has disappeared for the moment.  Lindor is back to not hitting (yet) again.

Yeah not ideal.  Hopefully the returning bats help Lindor re-ignite but it's kind of a bad sign he couldn't sustain his hot streak. I’m not a fan of the WAR stat but it’s a bit eyebrow raising that Amed Rosario has a higher WAR than Lindor this year…

Diaz probably got jipped in the Soto AB but there's no reason he had to collapse after either.

Edited by NJDevs4978

At least they got off to a fast start today (and please don't just put up 2 in the first and stop hitting the rest of the day) but I really hope this is the true start of a Lindor resurgence. He's had a few stretches already where he'd have a few games in a row where he looks like he's coming around and then go the next 4 without reaching base and striking out endlessly

• Like 1

1 hour ago, '7' said:

At least they got off to a fast start today (and please don't just put up 2 in the first and stop hitting the rest of the day) but I really hope this is the true start of a Lindor resurgence. He's had a few stretches already where he'd have a few games in a row where he looks like he's coming around and then go the next 4 without reaching base and striking out endlessly

And that’s my beef with Lindor so far…can’t have a monster day (or a brief hot streak) and then disappear for an extended period.  Mets need consistent production from him. 

Seriously…fvck these umps…bad calls around the league, constantly.  That “strike” to Pillar was a fvcking joke.  We get it…the umps want to go home as a doubleheader is winding down…but Jesus H.  That pitch was clearly a ball.

Looks like the bats are really cooling off.  Not the best timing in the world for that, but was hard to imagine that this wouldn’t become a problem, given who’s in the lineup.

Oh Familia and his 1.75 WHIP suck.

McNeil due to be taken off the DL today...so that's something. Hopefully it won't take him too long to start hitting. Every little bit helps

Nimmo also begins his rehab assignment. He's been out forever it seems

Edited by '7'

Not like I haven't brought it up, and I know Baltimore is an awful team, but how long do they keep throwing Harvey out there for yet another start?  Somehow he's managed to make 15 starts in the majors this season.  His numbers over his last 8?  27.1 IP (less than 4 IP per outing), 54 hits (?!), 40 ER, 7 HR, 12 BB, 28 K (Hey, everyone's a strikeout pitcher these days), 2.41 WHIP, and a 13.17 ERA.  

Just like deGrom's numbers are almost comically beastly, poor Harvey's are just tragically embarrassing.  You almost wonder how he ever gets ANYONE out...and just having looked up the Orioles' staff numbers...good lord, is that rotation just beyond terrible.  The one guy who's actually quite good (John Means) is currently on the IL.  But given Harvey's last 8 starts, there isn't SOME WARM BODY who can do better?  It's just so sad to see that guy getting destroyed in every single appearance.

9 minutes ago, '7' said:

McNeil due to be taken off the DL today...so that's something. Hopefully it won't take him too long to start hitting. Every little bit helps

Yeah it feels like the magic the Mets were able to manufacture despite all of the injuries is starting to wear off.  I can't knock them...they had every reason to go into a nose-dive, and they haven't so far.  Hopefully one hasn't begun.

I also didn’t expect the bullpen magic juice to last forever either, yeah it helps that Diaz has been solid and Lugo is back but the rest aren’t nearly as good as their early season start and it might get worse now that the pitcher substance crackdown is officially beginning.

Lucchesi going on the DL just when it looked like he found something isn’t ideal either pitching wise.

Edited by NJDevs4978

4 minutes ago, '7' said:

deGrom is making his start tonight. God help us if he has to come out of another game...

Yeah if something more serious should happen, here comes the “Same ol Mets” chatter.  Does really seem like a case of damned-if-they-do-damned-if-they-don’t though, at this point…I could see them sitting him down for 2-3 starts, and something happening then.  Just gotta keep our fingers crossed.

The bats going quiet is more concerning to me at this point.  Hope it’s a temporary funk.

Big win…for one, nice to see that Jake’s starts are no longer being wasted.  But at least the Braves have no chance at a sweep.

Jake has now given up 10 BB and 27 H in…72 IP…that is so beyond outrageous.  And the hit he gave up today wasn’t even on him.

And what sucks is Eickhoff is one of those guys who can’t even really do much against minor leaguers…I can see the Braves teeing off on him.  They’ve already started with a leadoff double.

Eickhoff looks like so many pitchers from the 90s - 00s who nibbled and hoped for the best.  This guy has nothing.  

Lucchesi with a substantial UCL tear.  That’s that.  Man have pitchers become delicate creatures.