2021 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

39 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

On another note, Harvey out of nowhere has suddenly turned in two terrific outings in a row.  Wonder if some team tries to get him at the deadline (as a “What the hell, why not?” move)…he shouldn’t cost much.  

Yea I saw that too. Not sure where it came from or the details around it. Is he winning by pitching...as in becoming craftier, doing the best with whatever stuff he's got? Or is he actually showing signs of regaining some of the old power?

2 hours ago, '7' said:

Yea I saw that too. Not sure where it came from or the details around it. Is he winning by pitching...as in becoming craftier, doing the best with whatever stuff he's got? Or is he actually showing signs of regaining some of the old power?

Some of the peripherals suggest luck…he’s only struck out 6 in 12 IP, and the BABIP against him is an unsustainably low .118 (.300 is average).  Of course, it’s not like he’s going to go on some major scoreless streak, so naturally there will be some regression.

What will be interesting is what happens if he turns in a solid third performance in a row?  Could he actually become someone’s Plan B or C at the deadline?  That would be a hell of a feat, considering how off-the-charts terrible he was for much of the season.

The offers might also be so meager that Baltimore says screw it, let’s see if he has a solid half of a season in him, and then maybe we keep him for another year.

I doubt the Orioles get enough for Harvey (nor is he making enough money at this point to where they have to skimp) to bother moving him, there's a reason they've kept him in the rotation despite a 900 ERA in the first half, they don't have the organizational arms to pitch innings.

Edited by NJDevs4978

10 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I doubt the Orioles get enough for Harvey (nor is he making enough money at this point to where they have to skimp) to bother moving him, there's a reason they've kept him in the rotation despite a 900 ERA in the first half, they don't have the organizational arms to pitch innings.

If he has a third good outing in a row, I'm thinking whatever team that could be interested would have to step up a bit (say a decent A or AA prospect, instead of a bag of balls)...I also think there could be some agreement between Baltimore and Harvey, where it's "Look, go have a couple of fun months pitching for a team that's got something to play for, and then come on back here next season, we'd love to see if you can continue this, for us."  They'd manage to get an extra piece that could be useful for them down the line, and if they really feel that Harvey is starting to put his game back together, they can bring him back on another relatively low-cost deal...not like he's going to have tons of suitors.  I think that scenario would be worth trying to piece together some fillers to take Harvey's remaining turns in the rotation.  I think Harvey realizes that Baltimore not only gave him a chance, but stuck with him when many other teams would've bailed...true, they don't exactly have anything resembling depth or options, but still, Harvey was SO bad that it wouldn't have been a shock if the Orioles had just said, "There's nothing here, let's just end this."  

Mets supposedly will inquire about Max Scherzer

https://metsmerizedonline.com/2021/07/morning-briefing-mets-will-inquire-about-max-scherzer.html/

It will take a lot we all know this...and it's not something for any of us to get our hopes over. Still with the team where it is, the uncertain status of deGrom and others, the Nats falling to pieces, and a new owner wanting to leave his mark on the team 1st year, maybe this is not as outlandish as we thing? And maybe due to Scherzers age (37 tomorrow) he won't be quite as pricey as we think?

I feel really tempted by this. A healthy deGrom + Scherzer with the rest of the rotation...this team would have a legitimate shot to win the NL.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If he has a third good outing in a row, I'm thinking whatever team that could be interested would have to step up a bit (say a decent A or AA prospect, instead of a bag of balls)...I also think there could be some agreement between Baltimore and Harvey, where it's "Look, go have a couple of fun months pitching for a team that's got something to play for, and then come on back here next season, we'd love to see if you can continue this, for us."  They'd manage to get an extra piece that could be useful for them down the line, and if they really feel that Harvey is starting to put his game back together, they can bring him back on another relatively low-cost deal...not like he's going to have tons of suitors.  I think that scenario would be worth trying to piece together some fillers to take Harvey's remaining turns in the rotation.  I think Harvey realizes that Baltimore not only gave him a chance, but stuck with him when many other teams would've bailed...true, they don't exactly have anything resembling depth or options, but still, Harvey was SO bad that it wouldn't have been a shock if the Orioles had just said, "There's nothing here, let's just end this."  

I would still be so worried, a competing team...maybe on the fringes of a Wild Card trying to stay relevant, to bring him onboard and having him out there during important innings. I still feel that if he can maybe regain some of the old power...for maybe even an inning or two the ideal spot for him over the rest of his career would be as a reliever. And that pushing forward trying to rekindle the old Harvey as a starter is just downright impossible and doomed to fail. I think of Frank Tanana (he threw 90 in the 70s and 70 in the 90s) It can be done but Harvey really has to morph into a cerebral cagey junkballer type.

Washington can't help another team within its division go for a WS title without getting a ransom in return (if they want to keep their credibility)...and he's only signed through the end of this year.  Not like the Mets have a surplus of kids to give away either...they'd really be a "RIGHT fvckING NOW!" team, with little organizational depth.  

If Scherzer was signed for another year or two, I'd definitely consider it, even with the possibility of whatever the Mets deal off to the Nats coming back to hurt them later.  But it seems like a high price to pay for a rental.

I think the inquiry will be just that.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 minute ago, '7' said:

I would still be so worried, a competing team...maybe on the fringes of a Wild Card trying to stay relevant, to bring him onboard and having him out there during important innings. I still feel that if he can maybe regain some of the old power...for maybe even an inning or two the ideal spot for him over the rest of his career would be as a reliever. And that pushing forward trying to rekindle the old Harvey as a starter is just downright impossible and doomed to fail. I think of Frank Tanana (he threw 90 in the 70s and 70 in the 90s) It can be done but Harvey really has to morph into a cerebral cagey junkballer type.

Oh I consider him a borderline last resort...he's who you consider after Plan A and Plan B failed (or if your rotation takes a couple of injury hits).  He's nothing more than a wild card, and these two starts could be just a couple of random good outings that even rotten starters can occasionally put up.  I'm just saying that three good outings in a row up his value just enough that you couldn't just get him for nothing anymore (but Has has a fair point in that if it's not for someone that at least has some chance to contribute in the majors someday, the Orioles might as well just hang onto him for the rest of the season).  

Thank goodness McNeil got the Mets off the schneid (of course the Mets finally get an RBI on a double so no RISP), and Lugo wriggled out of his own trouble.  Of course here comes the Diaz Cyclone ride of terror.

Or not...damn this looked like Seattle spider tack-using Diaz.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yeah huge huge win…last thing you want is the Braves getting a DH sweep and starting to believe.  Instead for them it’s more same ol same ol…there’s a reason they’re still under .500.

Nats have just fallen completely apart…they were actually 42-40 back on June 30, after a 14-3 surge (19-9 for the month of June).  They’ve lost 15 of 21 since.

Really hope the Mets can sustain something soon…they’re 18-20 over their last 38 games.  The Phillies and Braves really don’t have much business still being in this thing…it’s a little like a football game where the clear favorite is winning in the fourth quarter 10-6 or something like that…the other team just keeps hanging around.  I’ve been over it a bunch…no one trailing the Mets has shown the ability to go on a truly killer run to date (one pursuer has already collapsed), but at the same time, it would be nice to see the Mets start to put some more distance between them and the Phillies and Braves.  And it can’t be ignored that the Mets have basically been struggling to play .500 ball for quite a while now.

Anyway, assuming 88 is still the magic number to win the East for the Mets, here's what needs to be done (and for the teams chasing them to pull ahead):

Mets:  53-45 (35-29)

Phillies:  50-49 (39-24)

Braves:  49-51 (40-22)

Remains a tall order, as long as the Mets can get their act together long enough to get on some kind of roll.  

Max Scherzer open to waiving his no-trade clause to escape Nationals (msn.com)

Interesting in that if Max for some reason decided he REALLY wanted the Mets and no one else, he's absolutely in the position to make it happen.  And of course the Nationals would then be in the position to say no, but then lose him for nothing at the end of the season, when it looks like it's really time to tear this thing down.  Keeping a 37-year-old Scherzer (who couldn't have delivered more for them, really) doesn't really seem to make any sense at all, regardless of who the suitor is.

This being said, I still think if he's dealt, it won't be to the Mets.  And if I'm the Mets, I'm still not sure about paying a stiff price for a guy who just had triceps issues, and isn't likely to be with the team beyond this year.  

One pathetic run in 14 innings...consider ourselves lucky that they didn't get swept. But the Braves...well they aren't your fathers Atlanta Braves that were supremely opportunistic and drove the dagger in the Mets hearts any chance they got. Everybody in this division seemingly do nothing except let the Mets off the hook. I'm fine with that 

20 minutes ago, '7' said:

One pathetic run in 14 innings...consider ourselves lucky that they didn't get swept. But the Braves...well they aren't your fathers Atlanta Braves that were supremely opportunistic and drove the dagger in the Mets hearts any chance they got. Everybody in this division seemingly do nothing except let the Mets off the hook. I'm fine with that 

To date, the Mets are 7-6 against the Braves...not like they've been some major thorn in the Mets' side in 2021.  

What's funny is that on the WFAN, they were talking about how the "Mets keep winning", but they haven't been, really.  As I've pointed out, they've been treading water for what's coming up on almost a quarter season's worth of games...and somehow all that's cost them is 1.5 games in the NL East standings...just like you said, these other NL East teams are just completely incapable of ever capitalizing.  As much as it would be easy to almost assume the sky will eventually fall just because the Mets, when exactly are either the Phils or Braves going to go on a run of .600+ ball?  .500 has been enough of a challenge for them.

And I'm curious to see what happens if the Mets manage to win this series against the Braves...do the Braves become sellers?  

Just for the hell of it, everyone's record in the East for July so far:

Mets:  12-10

Phils:  13-8

Braves:  11-10

Nats:  5-16 (basically July killed their season)

Would be nice if the Mets could finish out this month (and this homestand) on a strong note...say at least three out of the next five.  Finish the month with a 15-12 record.  

Giving away a game in a key series…sounds like Sandyball.  There’s always that general lack of urgency.

At the same time, can’t pretend that there weren’t several circumstances that led to Eickhoff starting.  Doesn’t make it any less irritating.

And we're back on the Diaz Cyclone...Conforto and McCann already had to save his ass once, hopefully he doesn't fvcking blow it again

Pillar had to run that down, another rocket geez.  At least the Mets managed to get a split out of the first four games.  Megill's been a godsend so far.  I wonder what they do with the rotation once Carrasco and Jake come back.  Hopefully Walker straightens out or he may be headed for the DL (phantom or not).

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yeah I know Diaz can have those 3-K innings, but he is completely untrustworthy.  Tonight was a blown save waiting to happen.

Megill has really been terrific…just keeps finding a way.  And yeah Walker could be running out of steam in a hurry.  

Big win tonight…if the Mets can win tomorrow afternoon, the Braves simply didn’t do nearly enough in this series.  Even if the Braves tomorrow, can’t imagine they’ll be thrilled having only picked up one game in the standings.

Another atrocious Diaz highwire act that he lucked out on. They had BETTER get this situation fixed with him...and by fixed I mean Kimbrell

I swear this team is like the 1960 Pirates in the World Series all year. Get blasted...win 1-0. Get shut out...win 2-1. Get crushed...win 1-0 the next day. Nothing makes sense with them. I've never seen a more putrid offense win as much as they do

10 hours ago, '7' said:

Another atrocious Diaz highwire act that he lucked out on. They had BETTER get this situation fixed with him...and by fixed I mean Kimbrell

I swear this team is like the 1960 Pirates in the World Series all year. Get blasted...win 1-0. Get shut out...win 2-1. Get crushed...win 1-0 the next day. Nothing makes sense with them. I've never seen a more putrid offense win as much as they do

19-21 now over their last 40 games...I don't know if Sandy realizes how lucky his team is, in that no one in the East has found a way to make up any real ground during that time...instead of being 5 up on second place (Mets were 35-25 at that point), the Mets are now 4 up.  I'm guessing the only team that's played over .500 ball over that same timeframe would be the Phillies...and probably barely over .500 at that.

If they REALLY want to stop fvcking around...start beating up on the Marlins.  Mets have 15 more games against them...friggin' find a way to win 11 of them.  Wanna go right around .500 against everyone else, fine...that would give the Mets 88 or 89 wins, if they can indeed clean up against a last-place team.  They also have 11 left against the Nationals (3-5 against them so far)...win 7 of those.  At least win the damned season series against them!

What's funny about the Mets is from series to series, for the most part, they never look overwhelmed nor dominating...they'll split a four-game series, win 2 of 3, lose 2 of 3...they haven't swept a series since May (against Colorado), and also haven't been swept since May (last time was against Tampa).  Over the 19-21 stretch I've mentioned, they haven't able to win three in a row, and have lost three in a row just once...against the friggin' PIRATES of course.  If they had started the season this way, we'd be all over them, killing them for being so frustratingly inconsistent.  

• Like 1

Walker sure turned into a pumpkin in a hurry.  Somebody wake Sandy up before he sleeps through the deadline and brings back Eickhoff yet again.  

Pete gets 'em back in the game.  12 HR in his past 28 GP.

Losing 6-3, heading into the bottom of the 8th.  About to have gone 19-22 in their past 41.  But of course no one below the Mets can handle being .500 for very long, so the Phils drop the first game of a DH today to fall to 50-51.

Seriously, I know all of the games count, but let's face it, outside of a 7-game winning streak and a 5-game winning streak, and the occasional great game, are the Mets really anything all that special?  Could they ONCE be more than "meh" in a big series?  Losing three out of five to the Braves at home...no, not awful, but just typical of this team.  Do the minimum I guess.    

I just realized what the Mets are good at:

Making every opponent look like a legit playoff contender, regardless of their record.  Every team is apparently a challenge.

BTW, the Mets' record in the NL East...surprise, they've gone a completely pedestrian 21-21!  

And not like any game is ever over in Citizens Bank Park, but after dropping Game 1 of their DH 3-1 to the Nats, the Phillies already trail 4-0 in the first inning of Game 2.  So not like they're all geared up to take advantage.

This is starting to remind me of the days when I used to play a lot of darts (Cricket), and once we had too much to drink and had trouble hitting bullseyes, the games would drag on forever...can't anybody just win this friggin' thing already?  That's where it is with the East.  

For the hell of it, here's what all five teams have done in their last 41 GP:

Mets:  19-22

Phils:  21-20 (if they lose Game 2 of their DH it will be 20-21)

Braves: 22-19 (surprised by this)

Nats:  21-20 (they started off this sample 14-4 before it all went to sh!t)

Marlins:  18-23

So basically, the Mets have been ONE fvckING GAME better than the Marlins over their last 41 GP.  Jesus H.  

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And not like any game is ever over in Citizens Bank Park, but after dropping Game 1 of their DH 3-1 to the Nats, the Phillies already trail 4-0 in the first inning of Game 2.  So not like they're all geared up to take advantage.

That and the Nats may trade their whole bullpen by the time this game is over, thank goodness it’s a dopey seven inning game since 7-0 is now 7-4.

Edited by NJDevs4978