2021 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

And yeah this division is a double edged sword, they missed a chance to bury the Braves before the deadline but they still have the Braves and Phillies arm’s length away. Guess we’ll see what Sandyball and Cohen get done by tomorrow.

Yeah not feelin real good about the deadline…gotta think even Sleepy Sandy will do SOMETHING though.  

Sounds like Sandy for sure (who forever seems to look for excuses NOT to do something), but yeah, I could the perception that Cohen will go full George Steinbrenner playing a role too.

Guessing Sandy went to bed early last night...hope he got a good night's rest...ugh.

Breaking news:  Sandy's alarm just went off.

Update:  He rolled over and hit the snooze button.  

• Haha 1

Here's what I think will happen:

The Mets will wind up with Baez...he of the .230/.271/.434 slash since the start of last season, to go with 206 K in 150 GP (just 22 BB), and an 89 OPS+.  But he also has 30 HR, so of course Sandy is just going to loooooooove bringing in a hitter like this.

Without mentioning him directly, Sandy will say that Bryant was too rich for the Mets' blood, so he pivoted to a lesser option, which Sandy has always done with little hesitation...forever the path of least resistance for Rip Van Sandy.  He'll then say that Carrasco coming back is like a deadline acquisition anyway, so he didn't see the need to go too hard after starting pitching...Walker's just in a slump, he'll be fine, even if he's not exactly known for being an innings horse, or durable.  Sandy will wrap up by saying the Mets already have a closer with terrific stuff, so he didn't see that as a strong need.

Yep, it will be disappointing and exactly what we should've expected.  Sandyball at its finest. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Did we really expect anything less?  It's the same ol same ol...the buffet opens, everyone runs in to grab their plates, Sandy basically gets shoved out of the way, then he meekly sees what's left after everyone else has just about finished chowing down.  It NEVER fvckING CHANGES with that guy, NEVER.  C'mon Stevie, you GOTTA see that this guy has exactly one speed, and there's no urgency involved, EVER.  You picked the wrong guy...please correct this mistake this offseason for the love of GOD.

Of course, I'm seeing some "Remember, Sandy didn't acquire Cespedes until right at the deadline" blurbs, yadda yadda yadda.   Just remember:  first choice was Wilmer and Wheeler for Carlos Gomez.  Second choice was Jay Bruce (was that one for Nimmo and Wheeler?  I forget.)  THIRD choice was Cespedes.  

And of course, we'll hear about how the Mets were in a lot of things, but not much materialized (even if they do wind up with Baez).  Sandy doesn't seem to realize that we don't care how "close" you were to getting a player who could help.  OTHER fvckING TEAMS HAVE BEEN ACTUALLY DOING IT ALL WEEK!  AS IN MAKING DEALS HAPPEN!

I gotta stop being so harsh...apparently someone just took a picture of Sandy working the phones and we can see that he's really trying:

vintage-business-man-using-retro-telephone-24939149.jpg

On another note...Matz was bombed again, after a couple of solid (but short) starts.

His numbers since 4/23:  15 starts, 72 IP, 91 H, 43 ER, 12 HR, 19 BB, 73 K, 5.38 ERA, .301/.358/.487 slash against.  Jays have lost 10 of those 15 games.

So basically, same ol Matz, gotta think there's a good chance he's looking for a new team in 2022...he's a free agent after this season.  He'll find a job somewhere for sure (lefties always do), but he's pretty much established himself a bad-team roster-filler from here on out.  I can see him playing for another 3-5 teams before his career is done...maybe he pitches well enough one year to become a rental for a WC contender.  He'll wind up with maybe 80 wins or so (currently at 39), if he can stay healthy enough.  I never truly look down on anyone good enough to have played in the majors, but his career has been pretty...meh.  It really looked like he was going to be a good one early on...easy to forget that in his first 14 major league starts, he was 11-1, with a 2.32 ERA.  

And of course, remember how excited we were about the group of prospects coming up...Harvey, Montero, Syndergaard, Matz.  Even some guy who might be a pretty good middle or back of the rotation arm someday...some deGrom dude.  One turned out to be a beast (and hopefully isn't already breaking down).  Harvey's game largely deserted him, Montero was never the same once he got to Vegas, "Thor" can't stay on the field, and Matz is as ordinary (at best) as it gets.  Pitchers.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Yep...here comes the Sandy Special:

Joel Sherman on Twitter: "#Mets making movement toward Javy Baez. Maybe a pitcher in the deal too" / Twitter

You wanted Bryant?  Well you get Baez.  And maybe Davies and his 1.51 WHIP.  Way to pivot Sandy 🙄

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Here's what I think will happen:

The Mets will wind up with Baez...he of the .230/.271/.434 slash since the start of last season, to go with 206 K in 150 GP (just 22 BB), and an 89 OPS+.  But he also has 30 HR, so of course Sandy is just going to loooooooove bringing in a hitter like this.

He wasn't just predictable because he's a Sandyball player but also because he and Lindor are buddies, to the point where he preemptively said he'd be happy playing 2B only if Lindor was the SS.

Apparently Pete-Crow Armstrong was the one and only prospect going back in the trade, a recent first-round pick who was gonna be our CF of the future but he is missing the rest of the season due to injury.  Can't say I'm surprised we had to cough up a top prospect at this point, it's a pure seller's market.  I heard a little of the MLBN show on the radio and Peter Gammons made the point that with the labor situation what it is, teams are probably a little more willing to blow up the future to smithereens to make win-now moves.

BTW what is with local talk radio?  I'm shocked Carton and Roberts took deadline Friday off, especially after they were on the radio the other day interviewing 'acting GM' Zach Scott.  And the Kay show is leading off the 3 PM hour with...a frigging Knicks draft pick interview!  I get you guys are probably contractually obligated to do Knicks stuff but could it like wait till after 5 PM on deadline day?

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Angry 1

10 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

He wasn't just predictable because he's a Sandyball player but also because he and Lindor are buddies, to the point where he preemptively said he'd be happy playing 2B only if Lindor was the SS.

Apparently Pete-Crow Armstrong was the one and only prospect going back in the trade, a recent first-round pick who was gonna be our CF of the future but he is missing the rest of the season due to injury.  Can't say I'm surprised we had to cough up a top prospect at this point, it's a pure seller's market.  I heard a little of the MLBN show on the radio and Peter Gammons made the point that with the labor situation what it is, teams are probably a little more willing to blow up the future to smithereens to make win-now moves.

Yep, by the time Sandy finally got to the buffet table, all that was left was a stale dinner roll with raisins (Baez) and a danish with a suspicious bite mark (Williams has a 5.48 ERA over his last three seasons).  But hey, at least Rip Van Sandy did something, which in Sandyball is about the best you can hope for.  

Neither of these guys is going to help all that much.  Sorry, at some point, it can't be all about getting the Plan D players.  

11 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And speaking of Zach Scott how long before he gets the 'acting GM' title taken off, he's gone through a whole damn season now at this point.  Or are we just waiting to see if we can get some other big name guy in the offseason?

Who the fvck knows?  I still think Sandy's the one calling the shots (which as Forrest Gump would say is "a bad thing").  

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Who the fvck knows?  I still think Sandy's the one calling the shots (which as Forrest Gump would say is "a bad thing").  

Yeah until further notice Zach Scott to Sandy is basically a similar relationship to 90% of managers in baseball these days just being a GM puppet.

Does seem like they're still trying to get more pitching (they've been rumored in on guys like Maeda) which would be good at least.  Phillies just got Kyle Gibson and Ian Kennedy for their pitching staff.

Edited by NJDevs4978