2021 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

35 minutes ago, '7' said:

Baez is a pure slugger. He'll hit the long ball but he'll also K an ugly awful 200+ times this year. 

I would love to get the 2018/2019 Baez back when he puts on the blue and orange

The 2020-21 version gets on base at a .271 clip.  That's his ON BASE AVERAGE!  Rey Ordonez...friggin' REY ORDONEZ...had a career OB% of .289.  

What really pisses me off about this is that Sandy is just so fvcking PREDICTABLE.  Does he ALWAYS have to go after low BA/some Power/high K hitters?  (How well did that work out for him last time here?)  Does he always have to be thinking about the next lower tier, as if somehow a better tier simply isn't attainable for the Mets?

Great, Lindor gets to play with his pal...I'm so thrilled.  Guess now Sandy's gotta check in with Lindor to get the Francisco Seal Of Approval.  Seriously, fvck right off Sandy.  Forget the 5:30 press conference, just go back to bed and do what you do best...NOTHING.  

11 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah until further notice Zach Scott to Sandy is basically a similar relationship to 90% of managers in baseball these days just being a GM puppet.

Does seem like they're still trying to get more pitching (they've been rumored in on guys like Maeda) which would be good at least.  Phillies just got Kyle Gibson and Ian Kennedy for their pitching staff.

Guess we'll find out soon enough.  

Bryant to the Giants.  Giants get the filet mignon, we get bone and grizzle.  Thanks again Sandy.

Yeah right, Sandy was really going to do more...he's probably already snoring:

Seriously, this like Xmas 1983 or so, where all of your friends got a ColecoVision, and you got...an Atari.  Yes, THAT Atari.  With Pac-Man and ET as your only games.  fvcking Sandy...

LOL Baez, Williams and Hill were REALLY the absolute bare minimum they could have done.  Not even a bullpen arm?  I guess they figure a couple of these starting pitchers go to the bullpen eventually but still.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yeah I don't know how any Met fan isn't disappointed as hell by today.  I really wanted Sandy to make me eat some crow.  But this couldn't have gone any more to script than it did.  A one-dimensional bat (but he's Lindor's buddy, so yea!) and two mediocre starters.  Meanwhile bigger and better names were getting gobbled up all over the place.  God-fvcking-DAMMIT!

And you just KNOW snide comments and attempts at humor are coming when Sandy basically explains why he couldn't do any better.  Seriously, these are the kinds of moves you make when you're just barely in the WC race, and you want to get guys who might help a little, but you're clearly not trying all that hard, because you don't really believe you're good enough.  This feels like a punt more than really trying to equip the Mets to go deep into the playoffs.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

And the Braves finish the deadline with a flourish, adding reliever Richard Rodriguez, fvcking great.  A team that lost Acuna, Ozuna and Soroka is still acting like win now while we're acting like it's okay guys, get 'em next year when Jake is 34!

Edited by NJDevs4978

I'm thinking it's only a matter of time until deGrom is out for the year. There's something going on in that arm and it's nothing good

The Mets really needed to do more to bolster the starting pitching at the deadline because at this point you cannot expect deGrom to pitch again this year.

Braves did some serious work...still Duvall and Soler, they are .190-.220 type hitters. you can get them out. Still I commend them for trying and working their tails off this deadline

Not sure the Mets have what it takes to get across the finish line in the NL East

Mets were lazy, uncreative and uninspired today.  Sandyball.

deGrom won’t be back this year…there will be setbacks and stops.  At this point, figure out what the hell is actually wrong with him and then figure out what can be done to help him.  

Kinda funny seeing these black jerseys again…feels so 90s, heh heh.  I definitely wouldn’t mind seeing these again maybe 10-15 times a year…and I agree with Gary, I did like the away versions of these too.  

Zack Scott in the booth with Gary and Keith.

He actually sounds pretty articulate and reasonable.  

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Mets were lazy, uncreative and uninspired today.  Sandyball.

deGrom won’t be back this year…there will be setbacks and stops.  At this point, figure out what the hell is actually wrong with him and then figure out what can be done to help him.  

At this point I'm more annoyed they HAVEN'T been able to figure out what the hell is going on, than I am at him actually being on the shelf.  It feels like this could have been avoided if they didn't power through some of his earlier injuries, and even now they still don't know what exactly is wrong.  It just comes off as same old Mets medical staff nonsense a la Cespedes, Jed Lowrie, Ryan Church, etc.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Zack Scott in the booth with Gary and Keith.

He actually sounds pretty articulate and reasonable.  

I did hear his interview pre-deadline with Carton and Roberts (pretty much the only time I'll listen to them is during an opening segment depending on the topic, or an interview with Rojas/one of the other Met guys), and he came off organized and as forthcoming as you could expect from any GM without a Brian Burke or Mike Milbury type loose lips.  Them referring to him as the acting GM is the first time in a while I thought about the fact he actually 'hasn't' gotten the job full-time yet.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Not exactly a Wilmer Flores post-deadline walkoff of good feelings tonight.  You wonder which of the Mets players goes all Taylor Hall and pops off about the fans booing - probably Conforto now that he's at .199 and getting the brunt of the Lindor boos having one foot out the door.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Rich Hall continuing the stretch of mediocrity we’ve seen over his last 8 starts (5.40 ERA coming into tonight).  If the Mets lose tonight, that clinches a losing homestand.  Would’ve been nice if the GM could’ve been bothered to make “We REALLY got your backs” moves, but Rip Van Sandy.

And Villar gets picked off second.  Starting to feel more and more like organization just doesn’t really want this.

Well Baez does bring the longball at least.  Might not want to take a curtain call with your team still losing though.

And Matt Harvey is 3-0 in his last three starts, having scored 18.1 scoreless innings.  Go figure.  

Starting to wonder if Lugo is a “not so good without Spider Tack” guy.  I know he’d been better after getting rocked for 5 runs a while back, but he’s been giving up more hits lately.  

If Baez can actually do something here that'll be a bigger entrance than Ces had with a big HR in his opening series with the Nationals.

Welp guess this game was vintage Baez, a HR, flashy defense and a big K

Edited by NJDevs4978

4 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

If Baez can actually do something here that'll be a bigger entrance than Ces had with a big HR in his opening series with the Nationals.

You knew once it got to 3 and 2, that he was gonna whiff.  Because the guy is allergic to walking (and getting on base).  We’ll just have to enjoy the occasional dingers.