2021 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

At this point, I want the collapse to be spectacular.  Because I have a feeling that if it isn’t, Cohen will give Sandy more time…and the thought of that is beyond terrifying.  The Mets somebody younger and much more dynamic, who won’t sit idly by and give players endless chances.

The Mets finally had to stare down some real competition for a very long stretch and crumbled in a way I think we all sort of expected (especially with their yearly injury plague) plus it coincided with the most cupcake stretch of the Braves schedule. All is pretty much lost. I would be shocked if the Mets even get to within 3 games of the division lead again. And pathetic with Lindor how long he's been out with a tweak of whatever it is he has. These players are charmin soft. Can't wait to see him back and then re-aggravating it immediately. 

Agree in that baseball players are as Charmin soft as it gets.  It’s part of what makes the sport harder to embrace these days.

Mets are done.  And I’ll admit it, I’ll never ever try to project the future of any given season again, based on what teams are doing at various points within a season.  It’s just as pointless as mock drafts.

Kudos to the Braves, for making moves with real urgency, and for doing what you’re supposed to do against dead-in-the-water teams.  Total polar opposite of what Sandy’s Mets do.  I don’t like rooting against my teams, but this collapse needs to be total…if they rally and finish with 84 wins or so, Sandy is going to be back.  We CANNOT have that.  

41 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don’t like rooting against my teams, but this collapse needs to be total…if they rally and finish with 84 wins or so, Sandy is going to be back.  We CANNOT have that.  

This is like me with the Jets so many times. Kotite’s last year, and wanting Bowles and Gase to bottom out at the end too.

Edited by NJDevs4978

4 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

This is like me with the Jets so many times. Kotite’s last year, and wanting Bowles and Gase to bottom out at the end too.

Yeah it’s a sh!tty place to be, no doubt, but I can already see the Mets going on some kind of meaningless run, finishing a bit over .500, Steve and Sandy talking about horrific injury luck and how if this guy and that guy does this and that, 2022 will be a better season, blah blah blah.  And you just KNOW it will be nothing more than a few uninspired mid-tier moves this offseason…nothing that’s really going to make much difference…sure, the Mets might initially be linked to a bigger move, but Sandy will find a way not to make it, or to instantly pivot to a much less attractive option.  I can’t watch another offseason like that.

Unfortunately if the “meaningless surge” scenario takes place, I could see Steve giving everyone a second chance…where he’s thinking “Everyone should enjoy bounce back years in 2022…and hopefully we’re healthier.”  That’s why I want a total collapse.  I think this thing needs to be ripped apart, top to bottom.

I don't know what's dumber, the fact they're bringing back Thor as a reliever (in what's now a lost season) without his slider, or the fact neither he or Sandy/Scott could be bothered to tell Rojas.  I know GM's of their ilk treat managers like glorified press secretaries but come on now

Edited by NJDevs4978

More and more, with the exception of a higher payroll, it really feels like the Wilpons never left.  And that’s what’s really disappointing.

• Thanks 1

I also feel more and more like the only way through this is for Cohen to do whatever he has to, to land Theo Epstein...and then just hand him the keys.  Let him do whatever he feels is necessary...seriously, if that means the Mets even have to take a step back or two over the next couple of years, I'd be OK with it.  It may or may not work out, but at least with a guy like Epstein, as long as Cohen isn't meddling or getting in his way, you feel that there's a legit chance that there will first be some actual stability, and quite possibly a sustainable winner in time.

There is no hope with Sandy & Co.  None.  We've seen his MO now for how many seasons with the Mets?  What indication is there that his approach is going to change?  We've been there done this, with not much to show for it.  

This kind of collapse is absolutely unforgivable and for their talent level...should've never happened. This a failure down from the owner to the GM (poor deadline moves, did not address what really needed to be addressed) down to the manager and down to the hitters. A total organizational collapse that needs to result in some heads rolling. How fast and how swift their fall from 1st into total non competitive and out of it was embarrassing. Look at teams like Braves...the Yankees. They actually have a clue, they knew exactly what upgrades they needed, they attacked at the deadline, and they're rewarded.

The Mets did it for a few months with smoke and mirrors, now we see who they really are. Gutless, unclutch, incompetent

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, '7' said:

This kind of collapse is absolutely unforgivable and for their talent level...should've never happened. This a failure down from the owner to the GM (poor deadline moves, did not address what really needed to be addressed) down to the manager and down to the hitters. A total organizational collapse that needs to result in some heads rolling. How fast and how swift their fall from 1st into total non competitive and out of it was embarrassing. Look at teams like Braves...the Yankees. They actually have a clue, they knew exactly what upgrades they needed, they attacked at the deadline, and they're rewarded.

The Mets did it for a few months with smoke and mirrors, now we see who they really are. Gutless, unclutch, incompetent

I blame Cohen for hiring Sandy in the first place.  If you're a Met fan, what the fvck were you thinking?!  Why reach into the past?  Especially a guy who has direct ties to the Wilpons?

Sandy has basically been Sandy since coming back, and I've already detailed what exactly that entails.  Seriously, is anything that's happened on his watch been much of a surprise?  When has he ever been that "gets things done" guy?  Especially here?

And yeah, we knew that as the Mets got to 10 over .500 (35-25) and then played a bit under .500 prior to the collapse, we saw the weaknesses on display...yet they were somehow able to tread water in spite of themselves.  I didn't expect Sandy to do much to address them, the way other more energetic, creative GMs found ways to improve their teams.  And of course the guy Sandy brings in doesn't really do much other than hit some home runs and strike out a ton.  HAVE WE NOT SEEN THIS BEFORE?!

But this is why I think Steve has little choice but to hand Theo the keys.  I'm sorry, but I think I speak for Mets fans everywhere when I say that we're not going tolerate a Sandy-led offseason, where just about everyone gets yet another chance, and the team comes back close to intact, with a couple of minor and/or pivot moves made.  That can't happen.  We've had enough of "Part Deux" around here.  It's always "Next Year" with Sandy, only that year never seems to come.

I heard some of Maggie on the WFAN today, and she really nailed it...the real problem is that the Mets are the most self-satisfied bunch of nothings.  And they've got a real fvcking problem on their hands in Lindor, who truly symbolizes what the Mets have quickly become.  He's more concerned about having his wittle feewings hurt by (well-deserved) boos than he is about earning his massive fvcking paycheck...and sure seems like most of the rest of the team can't follow that crybaby lead quickly enough.  Does this guy have any edge to him at all?  Does ANYONE on this team have it?  Awesome that Lindor's apparently buddy-buddy with every player in the league, and always eager to share smiles with them DURING GAMES...and so happy that he gets to live some dream by playing with his bestie.  They said it perfectly on the WFAN...this guy is a less-productive version of ARod, in that he's not easy to embrace, and seems a little too concerned about what everyone is thinking of him.  He's been a complete disaster, another guy who apparently can't handle NY, and sadly I think it's not going to get much better...I do think he'll put up better numbers, but a winner he ain't.  They're stuck with him, but now it's about finding players with real stones who can take the leadership mantle away from Lindor.  This complacent oversensitive baby can't be the face of the Mets, even if he winds up making the most money for a while.    

Part of the problem last offseason was the takeover ran into free agency, I still think Sandy wouldn’t have had the hands on role he did with the day to day sh!t if A] the sale didn’t finish after FA started, and B] the original GM had skeletons that weren’t sussed out till after he was hired, forcing them to hire his lieutenant with even less experience. Plus tbh I’m sure MLB wasn’t exactly unhappy Cohen agreed to bring Sandy back after they already foisted him on us once before. We’ll find out this offseason just how in the tank Steve actually is for Sandy now that they can do a real search for a president/GM and not just a warp speed shotgun marriage.

Edited by NJDevs4978

6 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Part of the problem last offseason was the takeover ran into free agency, I still think Sandy wouldn’t have had the hands on role he did with the day to day sh!t if A] the sale didn’t finish after FA started, and B] the original GM had skeletons that weren’t sussed out till after he was hired, forcing them to hire his lieutenant with even less experience. Plus tbh I’m sure MLB wasn’t exactly unhappy Cohen agreed to bring Sandy back after they already foisted him on us once before. We’ll find out this offseason just how in the tank Steve actually is for Sandy now that they can do a real search for a president/GM and not just a warp speed shotgun marriage.

Yeah, as much as I rant and rave, I readily admit that we won't really learn what we need to until the offseason.  And yeah there were obviously factors that made this prior offseason more complicated.

And I do have to be fair...I think most of us would've been happy with an offseason of Realmuto, Springer, and Bauer.  Springer's hit well for much of the season when healthy, but it's fair to point out that he's missed a sh!tload of games.  We know the story with Bauer.  Realmuto of course has been light-years better than McCann...would've been nice to see Sandy actually make some kind of effort there...McCann's basically looked like the guy the Tigers chose to non-tender, which was the fear all along.  But even if the Mets had landed the big three, not like it's gone swimmingly for all of them in 2021...and if anything, we'd probably be saying "It figures", had Springer missed a bunch of time here, and Bauer had his issues (which clearly would've been put back on the Mets by the media, in light of everything else).  

3 hours ago, MB3 said:

i’ve mentioned multiple times on here that I liken myself a closet mets fan. I’m a die hard, 162 games per year and a dozen or so spring training games Yankees fan but I have a ton of family who cheers for the mets and i like to see them do well. 

the fact that they were in the lead in the NL East seemingly a few weeks ago and now find themselves closer to the last place marlins than the first place Braves has to be the type of thing that makes real, legitimate, appreciable changes at an organizational level, right?

You would hope.  This is why I want the collapse to now be total.  I don’t want anyone finding any excuses to keep the team largely intact and then give them another chance.  They don’t deserve one.

8 hours ago, '7' said:

How much longer are they going to let this go on. The team quit. Rojas is Callaway level stupid. 8.5 out. No heart, no clutch ability. Yet he hasn't been fired yet

The time to try “change the manager and hope for the best” has long passed.  Rojas is a huge part of the problem (another guy who’s overly sensitive to being booed and is too eager to put positive spins on everything), but the season is toast.  Officially dead and buried on the west coast.  No one is bringing it back to life…sure, simple accountability would be nice, but that’s never been much of that under Sandy.  When sh!t hits the fan, his reaction time has been glacial at best.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Well to Rojas’s credit, he had an adult answer when asked about the Fire Rojas chants the other night. But yeah he and almost everyone else is showing they’re hypersensitive to the general negativity when the team isn’t performing. I mean you guys haven’t needed the crowd to suck on the road too.

Edited by NJDevs4978

6 hours ago, MB3 said:

i’ve mentioned multiple times on here that I liken myself a closet mets fan. I’m a die hard, 162 games per year and a dozen or so spring training games Yankees fan but I have a ton of family who cheers for the mets and i like to see them do well. 

the fact that they were in the lead in the NL East seemingly a few weeks ago and now find themselves closer to the last place marlins than the first place Braves has to be the type of thing that makes real, legitimate, appreciable changes at an organizational level, right?

Yes with the caveat they’re fully capable of going on a junktime surge a la the 2019 Jets and holding off for another year what’s gonna be done sooner or later.

As it is there’s a lot of guys who are FA (Thor, Conforto, Baez, Stroman) so they’re necessarily gonna have to make changes in the locker room one way or another. Rojas is coming to the end of his deal, that should be an easy walk away after finishing with two straight years under expectations. Sandy was never supposed to run things again, they need to find a real president and one who’ll operate like it’s the 21st century.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Are you fvcking kidding me with this sh!t?  You've been here five minutes and you're telling the fans what to do?!

Well if you want to piss on everyone then you'd better fvcking turn it around or gtfo with your tails between your legs.  That goes for everyone, not just Baez.

Edited by NJDevs4978

fvck this guy and any other crybabies on the Mets who agree with him.  This Met team might be the softest ever.  Waaaaaaaaah we don’t wanna be booed waaaaaaaaah.

I hope this jackoff (and his .258 OB% since coming here) gets booed every time he comes to the plate.

About time Sandy showed some semblance of a pulse.  Guy has been invisible for weeks.  But he’s 100% right on this, and hopefully these Charmins now stop whining about being booed.

I don't even know where to begin with the stupidity exhibited by Baez (and Lindor too making the gesture) both these clowns sat on the DL for weeks, the team fell apart and embarrassingly fell totally out of the NL East race in the blink of an eye. Fans re justifiably enraged at the lack of offense and clutch hitting...and they decide to pull this stunt and boo the fans in the rare instances that they actually come through? I mean how? How can one be this stupid? Glad Sandy and Cohen (who own this disaster...remember this isn't the first bit of turmoil in 2021, we had the McNeil/Lindor fight)

I've grown so damn tired of Lindor/Baez. Both are idiots and losers and I don't want them part of the franchise going forward

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, '7' said:

I don't even know where to begin with the stupidity exhibited by Baez (and Lindor too making the gesture) both these clowns sat on the DL for weeks, the team fell apart and embarrassingly fell totally out of the NL East race in the blink of an eye. Fans re justifiably enraged at the lack of offense and clutch hitting...and they decide to pull this stunt and boo the fans in the rare instances that they actually come through? I mean how? How can one be this stupid? Glad Sandy and Cohen (who own this disaster...remember this isn't the first bit of turmoil in 2021, we had the McNeil/Lindor fight)

I've grown so damn tired of Lindor/Baez. Both are idiots and losers and I don't want them part of the franchise going forward

Couldn't agree more.  If anything that should be the end of Lindor having ANY input in player decisions...he shouldn't have had any to begin with, but this has to put the absolute end-all kebosh on that ever becoming a thing again.

Yeah Baez you just let walk, no questions asked.  Don't even make him a QO because the fvcking guy might actually accept it.  With Lindor, we're stuck with him, but what needs to happen now is that you bring in some players with real leadership qualities who effectively minimize Lindor's presence and influence in the locker room.  And that 100% NEEDS to happen, because even if Lindor's bat comes around, the guy is an absolute fvcking clown...perhaps one of the most oversensitive crybabies that I've ever seen...and quite sadly, it sure looks as though some of his more easily-influenced teammates are following his sh!tty lead.

What would be REALLY cool (won't ever happen) is if the Mets just sent Baez home.  Just tell him to go screw for the remainder of the season.  I'd be fully on board with that.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1