2021 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

He was actually off to a decent start overall (as good as could possibly be expected, anyway), but yeah, he hasn't been good in a long time.  He's a passable 5th starter if everything breaks right for him, but he's going to have days like today quite often, given the level of his stuff.  

Seven in a row.  Even if it hasn't always been pretty, we're getting the long winning streak we all hoped for.  Suddenly they're on pace for 94 wins.  As maddening as this team can sometimes be, things could really be a hell of a lot worse.

I've given Sandy plenty of guff, but looks like he might have hit on Walker.  We'll see if the guy can stay healthy.  Hopefully Carrasco isn't one of those "maybe next month" kind of stories.  

Harvey had a big enough ego in his hey-day that it was going to take a while for him to be fully humbled.  I'm not saying that to knock him...there was a time that we were all just as excited to see him pitch as we now are with deGrom.  His games were an event, something to savor and look forward to.  Of course he ate that up and loved every minute of it.

I can't imagine how it's been for him...his days of being the Dark Knight ended so abruptly.  It's almost like deGrom stole the career that Harvey was SUPPOSED to have.  He's probably only now beginning to come to terms with the cards he's been dealt, and it's probably very raw for him indeed.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

19 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Harvey had a big enough ego in his hey-day that it was going to take a while for him to be fully humbled.  I'm not saying that to knock him...there was a time that we were all just as excited to see him pitch as we now are with deGrom.  His games were an event, something to savor and look forward to.  Of course he ate that up and loved every minute of it.

I can't imagine how it's been for him...his days of being the Dark Knight ended so abruptly.  It's almost like deGrom stole the career that Harvey was SUPPOSED to have.  He's probably only now beginning to come to terms with the cards he's been dealt, and it's probably very raw for him indeed.

Brilliantly stated

Edited by '7'

21 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I will also always feel that Boras was in his ear pumping him up, feeding his ego...saying things like "I'll make you the first 300 million dollar pitcher". You're too good for the Mets. This is just a stepping stone to get you to X

He has a big ego as is, but their were people feeding it too

• Like 1

Bora$ was certainly behind that whole inning management/shutdown nonsense late in 2015. Which made no sense if only cause it wasn’t an issue in April when Harvey pitched into the ninth inning of a blowout against the Yankees. If you were so worried about inning management you should have raised the issue in April or June, not down the stretch of what turned out to be the only Met playoff run of that era

Harvey was basically an overnight celebrity, who was suddenly not only one of the best pitchers in baseball (although briefly), but a local celeb as well, who enjoyed the perks of the NY scene and nightlife, and could suddenly date the kinds of women he only dreamt about previously.  Throw in your agent telling you how awesome you are and likely trying to make it sound like the team employing you doesn't really care about you (but of course Bora$ being the swell guy that he is, he's the one who TRULY cares about your well-being), and yeah, a guy in his 20s can lose whatever perspective he has very quickly.  He must have felt indestructible.  

I think fans have come to appreciate the pains of Harvey's rise and fall, and how difficult it was for him...it wasn't that long ago that most fans were in "Don't let hit it you on the way out, you entitled a$$hole!"  I think he's remembered much more fondly now, especially for deciding to pitch through the end of 2015.  Time softens...especially when people have time to look back, and realize that for all of Harvey's faults and the way he came off sometimes, he really was just human in a lot of ways...and as we saw during his postgame conference, he's a much different person than he was when he was trying to figure out where his abilities went (and probably in serious denial about it at the time).

And knowing how Boras felt about the Mets back then, it wouldn't surprise me if he was telling Harvey that all he had to do was get to free agency, and then he could go to the Bronx and pitch for the team of his dreams, with Boras making him a zillionaire in the process.  Sadly I think that led to Harvey not living in the moment, and almost obsessing on a future that would never come...I think if he had it to do over again, he would've appreciated his good Mets years so much more, just lived in the present. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, '7' said:

Mets just begging to get no hit today thus far. 

You were saying?  Heh heh.

Yeah felt like a tough night in the making for sure...they found a way to get the bats going against a guy who was clearly dealing.  And credit to Peterson for overcoming a shaky second.

And not that this is any secret but goddamn what an awful building the Rays play in.  Like an extremely charmless version of the old Astrodome (and at least that had the cool light shows and one hell of a scoreboard for the time).  

• Haha 1

Peterson with just 73 pitches through 6 IP.  Hell of a night for him so far...especially considering how iffy that second inning was looking.  

And May blows it.  Oh well...not like the other team isn’t trying to win too.  And can’t beat up on May too much...he’s done the job most of the time.  

No way McCan’t was coming through in that spot.  Hopefully the Mets can get through the 9th.

59 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Peterson with just 73 pitches through 6 IP.  Hell of a night for him so far...especially considering how iffy that second inning was looking.  

Yeah every time I think he’s turned a corner he throws in a clunker like the Boston game. Every time I start to write him off he throws up a gem like tonight.

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah every time I think he’s turned a corner he throws in a clunker like the Boston game. Every time I start to write him off he throws up a gem like tonight.

Yeah he probably projects as a 4th or 5th, assuming he keeps starting.  Still not sure about him ever becoming truly consistent.  

Oh well, once the Rays tied it, that game felt like a loss in the making.  The Mets did just win seven in a row.  Can’t go too crazy...hard-fought win by the Rays.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Yea not being able to tack on really came back to haunt them

This team just can't get the bats going at all. Neither can much of Major League Baseball

I just hope this doesn't set them back. Get out there and win tomorrow

Edited by '7'

8 minutes ago, '7' said:

Yea not being able to tack on really came back to haunt them

This team just can't get the bats going at all. Neither can much of Major League Baseball

I just hope this doesn't set them back. Get out there and win tomorrow

This is a league-wide issue for sure.  Baseball has a problem on its hands. 

And that’s that.  As far as Lucchesi goes, at least there are arms (namely Carrasco and Syndergaard) that should relegate him to irrevelant status fairly soon.  But yeah, when you go bottom-feeding like Sandy does (and aren’t that great at it), you’ll get guys like Lucchesi who don’t work out.

In case we need any reminders of what a horrible joke of a GM Brodie was...in Game 2 of Kelenic’s career, he hit two doubles and a HR.  God was that trade just fvcking AWFUL.  

• Sad 1

And now heading to Atlanta losing 3 in a row...still not hitting. Absolutely expecting the worst. Don't get swept. Just feel a sweep is imminent 

12 players on the IL. Just never ends