2021 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

14 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I actually think there’s something there with Nido, his offense has been much better since hiring a respected swing coach and overhauling his swing and approach before last year. A lot of catchers do develop offense later in their career.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.northjersey.com/amp/4994946002

Let's hope...I have a feeling McCan't is going to be a major disappointment here.  

Kinda felt like the Braves just refused to lose this one.  Considering how gassed the ‘pen is, I’m ok with this not going into extras. 

12 hours ago, '7' said:

It's really astounding just how drab baseball has become. Used to be that if a no hitter was happening ANYWHERE I'd be glued to it. Following it on the computer/app or MLB Network. Word would spread around the league like wildfire, all the announcers of all the teams would update their audiences on it. Now with last night...I actually turned that game off. When it's five no hitters by May...it doesn't feel special.

Six now with the ghost of Corey Kluber throwing one against the pathetic Ranger lineup lol

The only thing surprising about these no hitters anymore is that the pitchers can still last nine innings to do it. My first reaction when hearing Kluber had one going was to look at his pitch count :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

10 hours ago, MB3 said:

Manfred fvcked the balls, but I'm not sure "the ghost of Corey Kluber" is totally fair -- it's literally been a whole 2 weeks since he thre a 2-hitter with 10 strikeouts. He had a slow start, something that can be expected from a guy who's thrown a total of 33 innings since 2018. He's now got a 2.86 ERA on the season.

He's 4-0 in his last five starts (team is 5-0) with a 1.78 ERA.

Not taking anything away from Kluber, but at this point, MLB has basically become the anti-PCL...just like the thin air and bloated offensive numbers made trying to get a read on players there difficult, we're dealing with the same thing in MLB, in trying to figure out what to make of the current imbalance...you're pretty much guaranteed to see teams combine for at least 20 Ks most nights.  MLB is hitting a collective .236...the Mets are hitting .230 (.315 OBP) and the Yankees are hitting .227 (.318 OBP).  All but ONE pitching staff in the majors is averaging at least 8 K per 9 IP (the one that isn't is at 7.9).  Baseball is just a mess right now...I didn't particularly love the steroid-ridden, pitchers-nibbling, every-game-is-a-4-hour-slugfest days either, but the games have become so much harder to sit through.  The last innings of last night's Mets-Braves game actually felt something like the game I that used to love.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

There's no doubt that Rob Manfred, the worst period commissioner period ever period has totally ruined the game in a way only Manfred could do -- "we want to change the balls so that there's more singles and doubles!!!" turns into "our new baseball allows pitchers to throw it like a whiffleball and nobody can make fvcking contact" would make me laugh so much if it didn't already make me cry. 

If Manfred really thought that screwing with the balls in one specific way could have a positive impact on the game, you try that sh!t in the minors for a year, collect some data that can be properly analyzed so that you can see if the end result matches the "deadened balls lead to more singles and doubles and in-game action" theory...at which point, after pouring over the numbers and getting feedback from the players who just used these balls for a full season, you think long and hard about introducing the new ball into the majors.

Baseball's been a low-event game for a while now, but in 2021 it's in serious danger of becoming a NO event game...as we've seen happen with six no-hitters before the end of May.  They may have to go back to the pre-2021 balls for a while (assuming there's new-old stock available, or that can be manufactured quickly), take a step back, and experiment with different types of balls in the minors in 2022, if the general feel is that the ball is somehow the problem...no scenario is ideal, but least ideal is just going right to a new type of ball at the highest level without any trials completed anywhere else.      

5 hours ago, '7' said:

deGrom (in a single A rehab start) hits 102 and strikes out 8 in 3 innings. Outstanding sign....hopefully this doesn't flare up again

Imagine being some poor A player and having to face a guy like deGrom?!  That’s gotta be brutal.

• Haha 1

It’s Brandon Drury lol

Figures the makeshift lineup actually does enough to win but Loup melting down again got it tight. That DP (and Dom bailing out Mario Mendoza’s bad throw) really helps though…

Edited by NJDevs4978

Actually turned this off before the bottom of the 11th because I had the feeling the Mets would blow it, and I didn’t feel like seeing that.

So far the rest of the division simply can’t seem to get going...Mets actually have a small cushion at the moment (2.5 games up).  Good in that with the friggin’ endless number of players out of the lineup, they’re gonna need it.

In case we didn’t already know it...Rojas is a dope.  With a taxed BP and Lucchesi pitching his best game of the year and having thrown just 43 pitches, of course Rojas takes him out of the game.

This isn’t about necessarily winning the game yesterday, as much as it is realizing that the Mets have to play a sh!tload of games over the next several weeks.  There was absolutely no reason to take Lucchesi out of this game.  

• Like 1

And another thing...with complete wild card Yamamoto pitching today, Rojas had to know this could be yet another “all hands on deck” bullpen day.  Yesterday could have been a great gift, where Lucchesi could’ve gone six or seven and allowed two or three runs...you’d take that from him any time.  But nope, friggin’ Rojas just kills that scenario before it can even materialize.  Just infuriating.

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Welp looks like Conforto and McNeil both have major hamstring injuries, out till late next month at least. The more things change…

Does make one wonder what kind of shape they were in to begin with...or if they were working out in a way that made sense for baseball.  

deGrom really is too good for Sandy and the Mets.  Even though he just got called out trying to snag a double.

Note to Cohen:  get Alderson the fvck outta here.  No, it’s not his fault that players are dropping like fvcking flies, but some guys just have that way of darkening the skies without even trying.  Sandy is just wrong for this franchise, was from the second Cohen brought him back.