2021 New York Mets season thread

10 hours ago, '7' said:

Another atrocious Diaz highwire act that he lucked out on. They had BETTER get this situation fixed with him...and by fixed I mean Kimbrell

I swear this team is like the 1960 Pirates in the World Series all year. Get blasted...win 1-0. Get shut out...win 2-1. Get crushed...win 1-0 the next day. Nothing makes sense with them. I've never seen a more putrid offense win as much as they do

19-21 now over their last 40 games...I don't know if Sandy realizes how lucky his team is, in that no one in the East has found a way to make up any real ground during that time...instead of being 5 up on second place (Mets were 35-25 at that point), the Mets are now 4 up.  I'm guessing the only team that's played over .500 ball over that same timeframe would be the Phillies...and probably barely over .500 at that.

If they REALLY want to stop fvcking around...start beating up on the Marlins.  Mets have 15 more games against them...friggin' find a way to win 11 of them.  Wanna go right around .500 against everyone else, fine...that would give the Mets 88 or 89 wins, if they can indeed clean up against a last-place team.  They also have 11 left against the Nationals (3-5 against them so far)...win 7 of those.  At least win the damned season series against them!

What's funny about the Mets is from series to series, for the most part, they never look overwhelmed nor dominating...they'll split a four-game series, win 2 of 3, lose 2 of 3...they haven't swept a series since May (against Colorado), and also haven't been swept since May (last time was against Tampa).  Over the 19-21 stretch I've mentioned, they haven't able to win three in a row, and have lost three in a row just once...against the friggin' PIRATES of course.  If they had started the season this way, we'd be all over them, killing them for being so frustratingly inconsistent.  

• Like 1

Walker sure turned into a pumpkin in a hurry.  Somebody wake Sandy up before he sleeps through the deadline and brings back Eickhoff yet again.  

Pete gets 'em back in the game.  12 HR in his past 28 GP.

Losing 6-3, heading into the bottom of the 8th.  About to have gone 19-22 in their past 41.  But of course no one below the Mets can handle being .500 for very long, so the Phils drop the first game of a DH today to fall to 50-51.

Seriously, I know all of the games count, but let's face it, outside of a 7-game winning streak and a 5-game winning streak, and the occasional great game, are the Mets really anything all that special?  Could they ONCE be more than "meh" in a big series?  Losing three out of five to the Braves at home...no, not awful, but just typical of this team.  Do the minimum I guess.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I just realized what the Mets are good at:

Making every opponent look like a legit playoff contender, regardless of their record.  Every team is apparently a challenge.

BTW, the Mets' record in the NL East...surprise, they've gone a completely pedestrian 21-21!  

And not like any game is ever over in Citizens Bank Park, but after dropping Game 1 of their DH 3-1 to the Nats, the Phillies already trail 4-0 in the first inning of Game 2.  So not like they're all geared up to take advantage.

This is starting to remind me of the days when I used to play a lot of darts (Cricket), and once we had too much to drink and had trouble hitting bullseyes, the games would drag on forever...can't anybody just win this friggin' thing already?  That's where it is with the East.  

For the hell of it, here's what all five teams have done in their last 41 GP:

Mets:  19-22

Phils:  21-20 (if they lose Game 2 of their DH it will be 20-21)

Braves: 22-19 (surprised by this)

Nats:  21-20 (they started off this sample 14-4 before it all went to sh!t)

Marlins:  18-23

So basically, the Mets have been ONE fvckING GAME better than the Marlins over their last 41 GP.  Jesus H.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And not like any game is ever over in Citizens Bank Park, but after dropping Game 1 of their DH 3-1 to the Nats, the Phillies already trail 4-0 in the first inning of Game 2.  So not like they're all geared up to take advantage.

That and the Nats may trade their whole bullpen by the time this game is over, thank goodness it’s a dopey seven inning game since 7-0 is now 7-4.

Edited by NJDevs4978

And yeah this division is a double edged sword, they missed a chance to bury the Braves before the deadline but they still have the Braves and Phillies arm’s length away. Guess we’ll see what Sandyball and Cohen get done by tomorrow.

Yeah not feelin real good about the deadline…gotta think even Sleepy Sandy will do SOMETHING though.  

Sounds like Sandy for sure (who forever seems to look for excuses NOT to do something), but yeah, I could the perception that Cohen will go full George Steinbrenner playing a role too.

Guessing Sandy went to bed early last night...hope he got a good night's rest...ugh.

Breaking news:  Sandy's alarm just went off.

Update:  He rolled over and hit the snooze button.  

• Haha 1

Here's what I think will happen:

The Mets will wind up with Baez...he of the .230/.271/.434 slash since the start of last season, to go with 206 K in 150 GP (just 22 BB), and an 89 OPS+.  But he also has 30 HR, so of course Sandy is just going to loooooooove bringing in a hitter like this.

Without mentioning him directly, Sandy will say that Bryant was too rich for the Mets' blood, so he pivoted to a lesser option, which Sandy has always done with little hesitation...forever the path of least resistance for Rip Van Sandy.  He'll then say that Carrasco coming back is like a deadline acquisition anyway, so he didn't see the need to go too hard after starting pitching...Walker's just in a slump, he'll be fine, even if he's not exactly known for being an innings horse, or durable.  Sandy will wrap up by saying the Mets already have a closer with terrific stuff, so he didn't see that as a strong need.

Yep, it will be disappointing and exactly what we should've expected.  Sandyball at its finest. 

Did we really expect anything less?  It's the same ol same ol...the buffet opens, everyone runs in to grab their plates, Sandy basically gets shoved out of the way, then he meekly sees what's left after everyone else has just about finished chowing down.  It NEVER fvckING CHANGES with that guy, NEVER.  C'mon Stevie, you GOTTA see that this guy has exactly one speed, and there's no urgency involved, EVER.  You picked the wrong guy...please correct this mistake this offseason for the love of GOD.

Of course, I'm seeing some "Remember, Sandy didn't acquire Cespedes until right at the deadline" blurbs, yadda yadda yadda.   Just remember:  first choice was Wilmer and Wheeler for Carlos Gomez.  Second choice was Jay Bruce (was that one for Nimmo and Wheeler?  I forget.)  THIRD choice was Cespedes.  

And of course, we'll hear about how the Mets were in a lot of things, but not much materialized (even if they do wind up with Baez).  Sandy doesn't seem to realize that we don't care how "close" you were to getting a player who could help.  OTHER fvckING TEAMS HAVE BEEN ACTUALLY DOING IT ALL WEEK!  AS IN MAKING DEALS HAPPEN!

I gotta stop being so harsh...apparently someone just took a picture of Sandy working the phones and we can see that he's really trying:

vintage-business-man-using-retro-telephone-24939149.jpg

On another note...Matz was bombed again, after a couple of solid (but short) starts.

His numbers since 4/23:  15 starts, 72 IP, 91 H, 43 ER, 12 HR, 19 BB, 73 K, 5.38 ERA, .301/.358/.487 slash against.  Jays have lost 10 of those 15 games.

So basically, same ol Matz, gotta think there's a good chance he's looking for a new team in 2022...he's a free agent after this season.  He'll find a job somewhere for sure (lefties always do), but he's pretty much established himself a bad-team roster-filler from here on out.  I can see him playing for another 3-5 teams before his career is done...maybe he pitches well enough one year to become a rental for a WC contender.  He'll wind up with maybe 80 wins or so (currently at 39), if he can stay healthy enough.  I never truly look down on anyone good enough to have played in the majors, but his career has been pretty...meh.  It really looked like he was going to be a good one early on...easy to forget that in his first 14 major league starts, he was 11-1, with a 2.32 ERA.  

And of course, remember how excited we were about the group of prospects coming up...Harvey, Montero, Syndergaard, Matz.  Even some guy who might be a pretty good middle or back of the rotation arm someday...some deGrom dude.  One turned out to be a beast (and hopefully isn't already breaking down).  Harvey's game largely deserted him, Montero was never the same once he got to Vegas, "Thor" can't stay on the field, and Matz is as ordinary (at best) as it gets.  Pitchers.

Yep...here comes the Sandy Special:

Joel Sherman on Twitter: "#Mets making movement toward Javy Baez. Maybe a pitcher in the deal too" / Twitter

You wanted Bryant?  Well you get Baez.  And maybe Davies and his 1.51 WHIP.  Way to pivot Sandy 🙄

Baez is a pure slugger. He'll hit the long ball but he'll also K an ugly awful 200+ times this year. 

I would love to get the 2018/2019 Baez back when he puts on the blue and orange

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Here's what I think will happen:

The Mets will wind up with Baez...he of the .230/.271/.434 slash since the start of last season, to go with 206 K in 150 GP (just 22 BB), and an 89 OPS+.  But he also has 30 HR, so of course Sandy is just going to loooooooove bringing in a hitter like this.

He wasn't just predictable because he's a Sandyball player but also because he and Lindor are buddies, to the point where he preemptively said he'd be happy playing 2B only if Lindor was the SS.

Apparently Pete-Crow Armstrong was the one and only prospect going back in the trade, a recent first-round pick who was gonna be our CF of the future but he is missing the rest of the season due to injury.  Can't say I'm surprised we had to cough up a top prospect at this point, it's a pure seller's market.  I heard a little of the MLBN show on the radio and Peter Gammons made the point that with the labor situation what it is, teams are probably a little more willing to blow up the future to smithereens to make win-now moves.

Posted (edited)

BTW what is with local talk radio?  I'm shocked Carton and Roberts took deadline Friday off, especially after they were on the radio the other day interviewing 'acting GM' Zach Scott.  And the Kay show is leading off the 3 PM hour with...a frigging Knicks draft pick interview!  I get you guys are probably contractually obligated to do Knicks stuff but could it like wait till after 5 PM on deadline day?

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Angry 1