2021 New York Mets season thread

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Goddamn did Darling call THAT one!  

Yeah the audio Gelbs posted of it was something. Pitchers can be smart, Smoltz came close to calling the Tim Anderson HR off of Britton in the Field of Dreams game by pointing out before the AB it was a good matchup for him as a low ball hitter against a sinking fastball.

Too bad Familia has reverted back to form.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yeah just another Land of Endless Chances moment here…Familia should’ve been gone before this season ever started.  We’ve seen this crap from him so many times.

7 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Losing teams find ways to lose games like the last two nights :P

Exactly this.  And I’m sure Alonso and others feel happy that they kept it close.  Also a trait of a losing team.

Notice how so many teams that actually made “We’re legitimately trying” moves are playing quite well.  Then there’s fvcking can’t-be-bothered Sandy and his Mets.  Seriously, right now he’s just as bad for the Mets as the Wilpons were.  

As aggravating as this team is...and as wrong as Sandy is for the Mets...I guess in the end, with deGrom out, what the hell did we think was going to happen?  Yeah, there's been injuries galore all season, and deGrom (well, according to plan anyway) is only going every fifth day...but losing him is a real killer.

And since Sandy (predictably) punted on the season anyway, might as well not fvck around yet again by trying to pitch deGrom with 2 weeks or so left in the season, and the Mets close to double-digits out of first place.

Anyway, what I'd really like to see happen:

Sandy canned, along with his "acting" GM.  I think most of the moves have been Sandy-influenced, so I'm not necessarily putting too much on Scott, but at the same time, if you're cleaning house, gotta let the new Team Pres hire his own guys.

For the love of God, no more Luis Rojas.  No wonder the players have no urgency...no one above them does.  He was second choice anyway, and more and more he sounds like a befuddled oblivious moron.  

As for the roster, I don't think anyone should be off-limits, in the right deal.  ANYONE.  I love deGrom as much as any Mets fan, but maybe the rest of his body just isn't up to pitching the way he does.  Depending on what's going on next season, if he's healthy and shredding it, whoever is in charge of player transactions (better not be Sandy) has to consider dealing him for a nice prospect package.  It will suck to see him go (assuming he's still doing his thing), but he'll be in his Age 34 season, and the fact is he can potentially bring back a hell of a lot.  And there's just no way to know how much he's got left...or if he'll ever manage another 200 IP season.  I'm to the point where I'll live with possibly seeing deGrom pitch well for someone else for a year or two, than bank on him repeating an injury-free 2022 (if he manages that).

The rest of the team is just too iffy anyway.  Based on the way this season unfolded, who can the Mets count on next year, as a legit "sure thing" in their everyday lineup?  I'd say it's Alonso, but he has limitations...he's settling more into "good, but..." territory...the kind of guy who's a nice complementary power source in a good lineup, but not the guy who's carrying anyone.  Nimmo is a fine OB% guy, but will always be one of those guys who struggles to play 100 games in any given season...injuries just find their way to him.  The rest seem to suffer from lack of clutch, and you can't keep doing the Met thing and hope that NEXT year is the year that it all comes together.  How many seasons do these guys get?  It's time to make some changes...this group hasn't won d!ck.  

Mets now officially a .500 team.  After these next 9 games, they probably won't get there again.  Kinda fitting, since they'll probably finish in the 70s win-wise...Sandy oversaw lots of 70ish win teams the last time he was here.

WANTED:  a GM (whether that's his actual title or not) willing to make the "obvious" moves, if they make perfect sense for his team.  Meaning when you have the means to aggressively go after guys like Realmuto and Springer, just fvcking do it.  Don't try to show everyone how brilliant you are by pivoting to lesser players, who hopefully exceed expectations.  And let's face it, Sandy has RARELY been good at nailing those kind of signings, the way some GMs are.  He tried that plenty the last time here too...partially out of sheer necessity of course, but he still wasn't terribly good at it.  And some guys just seem to have a reverse-Midas touch...even when Sandy makes a move that seems like a solid one (getting Carrasco and Lindor), it has a way of not working out.  I know I'm beating this to death, but I am terrified about the possibility of him being here this offseason.  Do we really think anything is going to get better?  Maybe it's simply a case of he's just not meant to be running the Mets?  Whatever defenders he has might point to 2015, but seriously, that happened mostly due to players OMAR drafted, and two potential trades falling through that wouldn't have helped the Mets one bit.  Does Sandy really deserve THAT much credit for the Mets getting to the World Series ONCE under his watch?  I guess I just keep wondering what Cohen sees in him.  

• Like 1

I’ll believe a full tear down (i.e. trading Jake and similar moves) will happen in NY when I see it.  For the moment I’d settle for a tear down of management - Sandy, Rojas, etc - and the training staff.

And yeah so much of what happened was avoidable if Sandy didn’t have another bargain basement winter + trade deadline. But also guys like Lindor and Conforto who massively underachieved have to look in the mirror too. They should have at least had a middle of the road, streaky offense - not a flat out poor one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I’ll believe a full tear down (i.e. trading Jake and similar moves) will happen in NY when I see it.  For the moment I’d settle for a tear down of management - Sandy, Rojas, etc - and the training staff.

And yeah so much of what happened was avoidable if Sandy didn’t have another bargain basement winter + trade deadline. But also guys like Lindor and Conforto who massively underachieved have to look in the mirror too. They should have at least had a middle of the road, streaky offense - not a flat out poor one.

Yeah the players certainly aren't blameless.  But I'm to the point where it feels like Sandy just comes with a black cloud.  And it's not like he had this great run of success previously here...I just feel like sticking with him means more lost seasons.  Mets already went down this road...we don't need to see it again.  

Posted (edited)

The scary part is with as disappointing as Sandy’s two tenures have been, imagine how much worse it would have been if Wheeler and Flores for Gomez happened in 2015, and if Bauer came here this offseason.

Edited by NJDevs4978

36 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The scary part is with as disappointing as Sandy’s two tenures have been, imagine how much worse it would have been if Wheeler and Flores for Gomez happened in 2015, and if Bauer came here this offseason.

Well the first part I've always brought up...and I'm pretty sure choice #2 for Sandy was Nimmo and Wheeler for Jay Bruce in 2015, before that last-second deal for Cespedes.  Like many have noted, Cespedes only happened because two deals that likely would've been disasters fell through.  For all his flaws, if not for Yoenis, the entirety of Sandy's first tenure here would've been remembered as a failure.

Yeah he dodged a major bullet by coming up a little short on Bauer, but I admit it, I did want him at the time (obviously NO ONE knew about his extra-curricular activities back then)...even though we knew the headache potential.

We know Cohen has money to spend...that's a chunk of the battle right there, but now I want to see if he realizes that he not only made a mistake, but needs to correct it, immediately.  If he gives Sandy & Co another year (and implies that injuries justify giving Sandy a pass), then I've got to start wondering about what the hell Cohen's seeing.  Assuming Steve did his due diligence, he would've seen that many of Sandy's moves during previous run here didn't really work out...and Sandy is a guy who I think very much fancies himself on being able to find "hidden gems"...except that he's never shown much of an ability to strike gold on those kinds of signings in recent years.  And that's happening yet again...sorry, McCann is a bust, end of story...but the guy has a 85 career OPS, so what did the hell did we expect?  Walker was a question mark, who even with his slump has probably already given the Mets more than they could've expected...his current numbers are now about where his career numbers are.  Sandy's had some bad luck too, but that's part of my point when it comes to him...he's one of those guys who quite often sees his moves not work out for him...even the ones that you can argue were solid...like I said, he's a fvcking black cloud, and the Mets are caught underneath its thunderheads.  Some guys just bring that "No hope" feeling with them, wherever they go.

And what's especially aggravating is that it's not like Sandy HAD to go fvcking bargain-basement shopping...but for some reason, he's just gotta prove how much smarter he is than everyone else...as though occasionally signing the perfect "obvious" target is somehow way beneath him.  Like I've said, if you have a history of nailing unheralded player signings who then come up big for you, great, then I get it.  But I can't fvcking take Sandy anymore.  I feel like the dad who sees his son dating someone that he's apparently head-over-heels in love with, but appears to bring absolutely nothing to the table...she's boring, lifeless, barely says a word, and seems to have little to no zest for life.  Like I said, if Cohen cleans house, I'll be impressed...there is NOTHING wrong with admitting that you screwed up a hire, and showing that you have the balls to undo your mistake ASAP.  But if he's going to stubbornly shove Sandy down our throats next year, just because he's gotta double-down and show us all he'll be right in the end...color me very concerned. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

24 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Welp sh!t is heating up

Does part of me love that he's telling it like it is?  Sure.

Just not so sure that he should actually be DOING that on Twitter...I don't think he has that luxury...things feel dysfunctional enough already without him trying to channel whatever inner Steinbrenner he thinks he has within him.  As much as he wants to be one of us...he simply isn't one of us...it's one thing for fans to knock what they're seeing on public forums, and quite another for the majority owner to be doing it.  He should really be taking this up with his GM, manager, and coaching staff.  

Posted (edited)

I definitely prefer this to him just picking on Twitter trolls or BEING a Twitter troll which tbh have been most of his Tweets so far. It’s still somewhat oblique too, who is he putting on blast - the staff, the players, both?

Edited by NJDevs4978

25 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I definitely prefer this to him just picking on Twitter trolls or BEING a Twitter troll which tbh have been most of his Tweets so far. It’s still somewhat oblique too, who is he putting on blast - the staff, the players, both?

That's kind of what I mean...have a meeting with Sandy, Zack, Rojas and the coaching staff (or just Sandy, Zack, and Rojas) behind closed doors and get on THEM.  Ask them why the hell their players aren't producing.  It kinda feels like he's got a machine gun spray thing going, where he's just abstractly hitting everyone...some funny comments out there re:  this tweet BTW, saying the only thing missing from it was "First time long time" and "I'll hang up and listen".   

And Steve's gotta look in the mirror too...anyone who's familiar with Sandy's MO know that it's all about HRs with him, over everything else.  I know there's been plenty of underachieving this year, but Sandy's offenses tend to hit for low averages, draw some walks (though not an insane amount), hit some dingers, and strike out a ton.  It's like Baez was damned near tailor-made for Sandy to scoop right up.  If Steve was paying attention back in the day, he had to know that a Sandy-built team could win up being very feast-or-famine on offense.  It's like I said before...does Steve realize that he plays a role in this?  That he 100% hired the wrong guy to oversee everything?  I think a lot of Met fans saw the potential for this.

6 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

As someone pointed out elsewhere, it’s pretty damning when he points out plate discipline as a weakness two weeks after Lindor (er, Sandy and Scott) traded for one of the least disciplined hitters in the sport.

And that's the thing.  When has Sandy EVER shown that plate discipline has ever mattered that much to him?  Baez is as Baez does too...his first sample of games here was on the lower end of what he's capable of, but you KNOW what you're getting with him...an occasional HR, tons of Ks, damned near no walks, and an OB% that may not even reach .300.  That was SUCH a predictable grab by Sandy...and even more flustering is that now apparently Lindor is part of whatever collaborative there is in Metland.  If Baez is re-signed, I am seriously going to lose my sh!t.

If they do this, it's ultimately the right move.  

Source: Mets Leaning Towards Shutting Down Jacob deGrom For Season (msn.com)

Assuming Sandy's not there to punt 2022 away, gotta think the next guy will try to make some "right now" moves.  Mets will need a healthy deGrom next season (duh).  Might as well try to get him right.  

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Another truly unsurprising offensive display, against a team that lost its starting pitcher after four outs.

It’s sadly comical now.  You figure they’d almost accidentally win a game or two during this stretch.  Nope.

LMAO I thought from Has’ post that the Mets lost.  I had no idea that they won in extras today. 

One run in nine innings in basically two straight bullpen games. Good luck against Buehler and Scherzer the next two nights.

And JD can fvck off, cursing out Alonso for not corralling his sh!tty, unnecessary cowboy throw