2021 New York Mets season thread

Yeah those final 6 seasons were rough overall…but should not have taken as long as it did for him to get in.

Part of me's tempted to wonder if the Billy Beane stuff isn't just reporters retconning after his cameos in the '86 Met series.  But there does seem to be smoke there, things have kind of stagnated for him in Oakland with no real sign of them getting a stadium there and I'm sure he'd like to have at least one shot at winning with an actual major league budget after turning down the Red Sox in '03 because of loyalty and family. 

I wasn't really expecting Theo either way, but I'd be all in for Beane, even given his relationship with Sandy he has enough gravitas to run an organization and not worrying about the owner trying to suss out leaks on Twitter.  They want to make it a Beane-Melvin package deal fine by me, it's a quantum leap up from Sandy/Scott and Rojas.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

On 9/16/2021 at 8:29 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

Speaking of Carter why the hell did it take six ballots for him to get in the HOF? I was surprised to see that. Maybe he just hung around too long with too many bad years at the end and people forgot how great he was for a decade.

I don't think he was all that beloved by the media personnel. He was always smiles, gregarious, doing commercials (did that alot in Montreal I hear) basically Mr. Sunshine that could come off as very fake to some 

9 minutes ago, '7' said:

I don't think he was all that beloved by the media personnel. He was always smiles, gregarious, doing commercials (did that alot in Montreal I hear) basically Mr. Sunshine that could come off as very fake to some 

It was funny...in the "Once Upon A Time" 30 for 30 that just aired, you could really see how his personality could definitely rub some people the wrong way...it DOES come off as some phony act.  Keith made it clear how much Carter's constant sunshiny "Hey where's the camera?" vibe really annoyed him (but since Carter could play and wanted to win, Keith could deal with the rest).  When I saw some of the Carter clips, I could absolutely see what Keith was talking about.  

Don't know if you remember or exactly when it was (pretty sure it was 2008), Carter was basically campaigning for Willie Randolph's job, just before Willie was infamously canned...I remember that Keith DESTROYED Carter on air for that.  Basically said that Carter just coming off like a tone-deaf buffoon in certain situations had happened one time too many.

ESPN actually had a pretty funny article about how bad Carter would've been in a locker room, as a manager, with the whole "Gee whiz!" Christian boy act (they came up with hypothetical conversations between him and guys like Billy Wagner).  

55 minutes ago, '7' said:

You would think of all people the press would like that though. God knows they probably kept Albert Belle out of the HOF (and made Jim Rice wait a long time) based on them not being Mr. Sunshine with the media.

Edited by NJDevs4978

On 9/21/2021 at 1:45 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

You would think of all people the press would like that though. God knows they probably kept Albert Belle out of the HOF (and made Jim Rice wait a long time) based on them not being Mr. Sunshine with the media.

Yea...Belle is a jerk to end all jerks. Maybe one of the most insufferable pro athletes that I have EVER read about. He really must've had some sort of personality disorder

Still looking at his numbers, he is unquestionably...no debate...a Hall of Famer. He also retired at the age of 34, in a bit of a decline but still a feared hitter and RBI man. His last season he hit .280, .342obp 23 home runs 103 rbi's in 141 games. His run between 1991 and 1999 was unreal. 7 seasons of not just 100 rbis, but 110+ rbi's. With astronomical totals mixed in. 152, 148, 129 etc

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, '7' said:

Yea...Belle is a jerk to end all jerks. Maybe one of the most insufferable pro athletes that I have EVER read about. He really must've had some sort of personality disorder

Still looking at his numbers, he is unquestionably...no debate...a Hall of Famer. He also retired at the age of 34, in a bit of a decline but still a feared hitter and RBI man. His last season he hit .280, .342obp 23 home runs 103 rbi's in 141 games. His run between 1991 and 1999 was unreal. 7 seasons of not just 100 rbis, but 110+ rbi's. With astronomical totals mixed in. 152, 148, 129 etc

He had to retire due to a degenerative hip condition, more than a real decline.  He was in the middle of a 5-year deal when he called it quits.

He did put up some sick numbers, but from all accounts he was SUCH a d!ck...just a horrible guy, and not just to members of the media.  Still is to this day (he still gets into trouble).  I think writers loved the fact that he didn't play long enough to reach 500 HR or some other milestone numbers, and never won a World Series, even though there's a case to be made for him getting in due to relatively short-term dominance.  His overall numbers (great considering the amount of games he played in...he averaged 40 HR and 130 RBI per 162 GP, not to mention put up a .933 career OPS) at quick-glance come up just short enough for voters to have the excuse they needed not to vote for him...oh, he didn't even hit 400 HR?  Or manage 1300 RBI?

He's an interesting case...can you be a total puke of a human being, but be really fvcking good at your sport, and as result the latter should trump the former?  If he was a different kind of guy or one who had worked extremely hard to become a better person, maybe the vet committee would put him in.  But doesn't seem like he has that in him. 

Remind me again why Sandy fvcking Alderson will get to stick around beyond this year?  

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Remind me again why Sandy fvcking Alderson will get to stick around beyond this year?  

He certainly doesn’t deserve to by any metric - especially with the off field fiascoes now attached to all his recent hires - but clearly Cohen likes him and ostensibly he’s only handling the business side of things next year, until nobody wants to come here again to be in Sandy and Steve’s shadow and he winds up ‘reluctantly’ running everything again :P

And as much as we all knew (to a certain degree) how phony the Mets' first half was, I didn't see it completely imploding to this extent either.  At least not till recently when I felt they might plummet to one of their 77-78 win seasons, which looks like it's going to happen now.  But hey Javy Baez is going on a great salary stretch drive!

Edited by NJDevs4978

And another thing, fvck this Robbie Cano sh!t too...what the hell good is a third chance gonna do?  He'll either hit .220 off the juice or eventually get popped on the juice though maybe kinda that is what the Mets are hoping for.  That's the only way I could justify them actually bringing back this clown but that could backfire since he might not be stupid enough to juice and just take up a roster spot being hopeless without it.  It's a sunk cost, just be done with it already.

Edited by NJDevs4978

On 8/5/2021 at 5:21 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

9-15 against the Pirates, Marlins and Nats...if this race is even close that is what we're gonna rue as we blow it yet again this month or next (and not stomping on the Braves before the deadline).  At this rate this looks more like a blown tire 78-84 season in the making where it's over by early September.

Hah I was wondering when I posted this...early August.  Figures, shoulda bet money on it.  We were 57-52 at the time, for reference.  I'm now rooting for it to be a 78-win season just for the giggles but that would actually require a junktime rally from losing darn near every game the last couple weeks to go 5-5 in the last ten.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yeah didn’t think they’d fall apart in such epic fashion…figured they’d at least finish over .500, especially at 35-25.

If Cano is allowed back somehow, then it’s definitely “Meet the new boss, same as the old boss”.  You only keep Cano if the concern is to save coin.  It’s a lot of money, I get it, but this was supposed to be much less of a concern under Cohen.  But does anyone really think Cano is going to make any kind of positive difference on the field?

And on one more side note…can the Mets please stop teasing a possible return of deGrom and/or Syndergaard?  Does any Mets fan give a damn at this point if these two combine to throw 10 innings or so, if even that many?  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah didn’t think they’d fall apart in such epic fashion…figured they’d at least finish over .500, especially at 35-25.

If Cano is allowed back somehow, then it’s definitely “Meet the new boss, same as the old boss”.  You only keep Cano if the concern is to save coin.  It’s a lot of money, I get it, but this was supposed to be much less of a concern under Cohen.  But does anyone really think Cano is going to make any kind of positive difference on the field?

And on one more side note…can the Mets please stop teasing a possible return of deGrom and/or Syndergaard?  Does any Mets give a damn at this point if these two combine to throw 10 innings or so, if even that many?  

They’re really trying to pump this ‘Cano is a great leader’ meme through the press. Leader of what?! They’ve fallen on their faces the last two years, Seattle never did squat with him and Cano was awful off the juice three years ago.

And yeah pumping up the Jake and Thor cameos at this point is laughable. The cavalry is already too late, the tragic number for elimination is 2 for the WC and 4 for the division. They’ll be done officially by the last home series of the year in all likelihood.

Yeah it's as over as over gets, and the Mets couldn't have been less bothered to try.  

And I know this will sound racist, but I really don't want a team built around a pair of complacent, overpaid Latino ballplayers, who will be more concerned about pimping and looking "cool" when they do something good, than they are about winning and putting in the effort day in, day out.  Well, not the Latino pair (Lindor and Baez) that the Mets would have, anyway.  It's swell that Baez has put up a .938 OPS since becoming a Met, but his career OPS is .785, and his career OB% is .306...he's basically a below-average hitter who has some power, which overall makes him slightly above average.  Does anyone have any confidence at all that these guys would come through when you really need them to?  If anything, I can see them having their occasional 2 HR, 5 RBI days (against lesser teams) that bloat their numbers, and make their years seem better than they "felt".

And how about Taijuan Walker's numbers lately?  Last 12 starts:

57 IP, 61 H, 49 ER, (20 HR - ?!) , 22 BB, 46 K, 7.74 ERA, 0-8 W-L (Team has lost 10 of these 12 games).

Imagine if he had started the season that way?  What fans would be saying? 

But look at the bright side...at least Sandy signed him for THREE YEARS.  Good news is that they can buy out his last season for $3 million.  But yet another one of Sandy's discount moves that won't pay off. 

Re:  Gomez, he had two really good seasons with the Brewers, but was a largely mediocre (at best) bat otherwise (low BA and OB%, tons of Ks).  He was annoying because he carried himself like a superstar, which he was far from.

I’ll always remember him for being Sandy’s first choice in 2015…not only would that move have cost the Mets Flores AND Wheeler, it’s clear that he wouldn’t have helped at all.  But Sandy sure thought so initially.

Heh heh another lifeless loss on the way for the Mets.

Steve, clean house.  Starting with your pal Sandy.

Mets ace Jacob deGrom 'disillusioned' with current regime? (msn.com)

This wouldn't come as any surprise, if true...but sadly it's also fair to wonder how many prime seasons (or fully healthy ones) that deGrom has left.  Every Met fan loves deGrom (how can we NOT?), but given his age and this past season, should the Mets be willing to sign Jake to a high-priced extension?  As of now, I say no.  And do I blame deGrom for getting sick of the situation here?  Not even a little...if anything, I'm surprised it took this long.  But this past season definitely hurts him, as far as how far would another team go to bring him in?  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

This sort of reminds me of the 1991 team. 1990...think they had a 90 win season. Were in the pennant chase late (lost to the Pirates) but 1984-1990 the Mets were a respected force in baseball and that carried over to 91. 1st half of that year they were 52-37. This was right around the time of the All Star Break. 4 games out of first behind the surprising Braves. But the Mets were gonna be in it all the way most thought

2nd half 25-47. And that's where it ended. They went into a malaise that lasted until the 1997 season where they were a surprise 88-74

Edited by '7'