2021 New York Mets season thread

8 minutes ago, '7' said:

This sort of reminds me of the 1991 team. 1990...think they had a 90 win season. Were in the pennant chase late (lost to the Pirates) but 1984-1990 the Mets were a respected force in baseball and that carried over to 91. 1st half of that year they were 52-37. This was right around the time of the All Star Break

2nd half 25-47. And that's where it ended. They went into a malaise that lasted until the 1997 season where they were a surprise 88-74

Very astute comparison.  Yeah that 1991 team crashed and burned HARD...after that 52-37 start, they lost 24 out of 29 games...and then went 20-23 after, so not like they really recovered all that much.  And yeah, that was a most definitive end to the competitive days for a while.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

And the current edition is just 19-34 since the start of August...even scarier when you consider there's a six-game winning streak in there.  Hard to believe that this team was actually .500 as late as 9/12.

And Has touched on it, but I'm really tired of hearing about how "respected" Sandy is around the league.  Great.  Can he actually do anything that leads to positive results?  It's been one clusterfvck after another since he came back.  Does he get an endless pass because his team won a World Series back when I was still a teenager?  (I'm 51 now).  

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mets-sandy-alderson-to-make-call-on-manager-luis-rojas-future-decision-to-come-after-regular-season/

It'll be Sandy's call regarding Rojas. They won't even wait to hire a President of Baseball Operations 

Rojas has been as bad as Mickey and an awful in game tactician. He was never even wanted as Mets manager the job just sort of fell to him after the Beltran fiasco. Clearly he's not ready. I could see him being re-assigned elsewhere in the org if they think he has some sort of future here (hope not) but I'd jettison him from the Mets completely. 

2 minutes ago, '7' said:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mets-sandy-alderson-to-make-call-on-manager-luis-rojas-future-decision-to-come-after-regular-season/

It'll be Sandy's call regarding Rojas. They won't even wait to hire a President of Baseball Operations 

Rojas has been as bad as Mickey and an awful in game tactician. He was never even wanted as Mets manager the job just sort of fell to him after the Beltran fiasco. Clearly he's not ready. I could see him being re-assigned elsewhere in the org if they think he has some sort of future here (hope not) but I'd jettison him from the Mets completely. 

And the bolded is my real beef.  Why does Sandy have so much pull here?  You'd think he was friggin' Frank Cashen, as far as his Met history goes...Cashen made some brutal moves as his tenure wore on, but at least he earned the benefit of the doubt for a while, with several of his previous moves.  Sandy has not done nearly enough to warrant this kind of "We're in good hands, Sandy will steer us through this difficult time" treatment.  If anything he's conclusively shown he's very much been a part of the problem.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/5/2021 at 5:21 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

9-15 against the Pirates, Marlins and Nats...if this race is even close that is what we're gonna rue as we blow it yet again this month or next (and not stomping on the Braves before the deadline).  At this rate this looks more like a blown tire 78-84 season in the making where it's over by early September.

Arizona Wildcats Come Up Just Short Of A National Championship - Blog for  Arizona

77-85 and over in early September, way to go boys.  Time for heads to start rolling.

What sucks is this was our best chance the next few years to get the Braves, with Acuna on the shelf for half the season and Soroka longer than that.  Once again they're a winning organization that wipes the floor with us when it matters.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Damn Has you called that one.

Yeah needs to be a serious housecleaning.  End of story.

Yeah the news would've been if the Mets were retaining him.

Now it's about Theo or Beane.  

12 minutes ago, '7' said:

https://nypost.com/2021/10/06/theo-epstein-steve-cohen-quickly-decide-mets-marriage-wont-work/

Hopefully he's playing hard to get and the Mets continue to pursue, but seems like this could be over before it really ever got started

LMFAO of course this happens.  

Steve, you need Theo a lot more than he needs you.  But you wanna fvck around with your pal Sandy, go ahead I guess.  Get used to more 70-79 win seasons...Sandy specialized in those during his last go-round.

• 2 weeks later...

And the Mets are 100% out on all of the "Big Three".  Can't say it comes as any great shock, even if the Mets aren't necessarily to blame.  Have a feeling we're in for at least one more year of Sandyball.  Not good.

Seriously, it feels like this franchise is screwed.  And that no one really wants to come here to work in the front office...oh sure, as long as Cohen is willing to spend, the Mets can always find players looking for a payday.  But for someone who really knows what he's doing when it comes to running the baseball side?  They're going to have to hope to find some young gem looking for his first real shot, and hope that he takes the ball and runs with it...and that years later, we're saying, "Damn, remember way back, when somehow the Mets unearthed [insert name here]?  Man did we get lucky with that one!"   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Yeah at this point I’m half wondering if this ‘search’ is just a wink wink sandbag to get either Sandy or one of his cronies in the job. They’re literally talking to the same guys they talked to last offseason, there seems to be zero outside the box thinking.

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah at this point I’m half wondering if this ‘search’ is just a wink wink sandbag to get either Sandy or one of his cronies in the job. They’re literally talking to the same guys they talked to last offseason, there seems to be zero outside the box thinking.

And this is what you get with Sandy...what you've ALWAYS gotten with Sandy.  The guy has absolutely zero creativity, and whenever he does go for a "bargain with potential upside" signing or acquisition, it's not like it often pans out for him.  And since "next year" forever seems to be the mantra that this franchise lives by, I feel like it's only a matter of time when Sandy's announced as the official team president for the 2022 season (with, like you say, some crony of his to work underneath him), and then there will be a blurb about who might be available come the 2022 offseason.  Does anyone really expect anything less?