Jump to content

2021 New York Mets season thread


Recommended Posts

Well not dead yet.  But Diaz sucks.  End of story.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ironically it seems like deadening the ball to cut down on home runs has done that at the expense of adding more K's and an even worse batting average.  Not exactly helping the entertainment value.

The traditionalist in me despises it as well. Heck most baseball purists (and non purists) do There is a way to shorten these games and still not mess with things that are sacred and resort to gi

And two things I really don't like: Starting extra innings with a man on second. 7-inning doubleheaders.  

Posted (edited)

When it comes to gutless chokes Diaz is historic level. Beyond Benitez even

You CANNOT pitch him consecutive days. EVER. He is incapable

Edited by '7'
Link to post
Share on other sites

And the ump misses strike three.  Baseball in 2021 is a trainwreck.

Familia gets him on Strike 4.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, '7' said:

When it comes to gutless chokes Diaz is historic level. Beyond Benitez even

This guy has a HISTORY of this.  I don’t care how many Ks he gets in a K-happy league.  He’s a loser.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s almost getting comical now, with Lindor.  Another week of this and might as well drop him to 8th.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, '7' said:

Ugh. That's gonna hurt us. Up 2-1 and Lindor with a huge bases loaded K.

This is like watching Wright near the end...only somehow worse.  I already expect nothing from Lindor in big spots.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

How about that?!  A PRODUCTIVE OUT!  Such a rarity in today’s game.

Even with Lindor doing less than nothing, the runs are starting to come.  There was no way they were going to keep hovering around 3 runs and change per game.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Joey Lucchesi just isn't very good. I was kind of hopeful he could turn out as one of those late blooming lefties who finally figures out...but that was during one of my out of character pings of optimist. Just doesn't look like it (and he has a very herky jerky violent delivery which just makes you cringe) the sooner we can jettison him from the rotation the better. No inning feels safe with him, he's just a straight trash pitcher

Edited by '7'
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yeah done with him already.  That pitch couldn’t have just sat there any more than it did.

Hey Rojas do you think you can go get him please?  NOW?!

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
Link to post
Share on other sites

ABOUT fvckING TIME

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope the offense is ready to score 18 runs tonight, to me Gsellman is pretty much a white flag. Hopefully he's able to stabilize this game if we get lucky with a bunch of at'em balls.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It is typical...now that the Mets are starting to score, of course they start to give up runs.  Hopefully that’s the end of Lucchesi.  Guy is a mop-up type.

At least Carrasco isn’t far off.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another Lindor failure

Link to post
Share on other sites

To think Yankee fans complain about Giancarlo Stanton, at least he still can produce power numbers when he plays.  Lindor is the most expensive good field no hit player in history.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

To think Yankee fans complain about Giancarlo Stanton, at least he still can produce power numbers when he plays.  Lindor is the most expensive good field no hit player in history.

I know he was older and all but I'm starting to get Roberto Alomar (and Carlos Baerga) flashbacks

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/28/2021 at 9:07 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That‘s right, just keep on fvcking whiffing.  Goddamn is this team a brutal watch right now.

They might have to think about sacking Chili...just to shake things up.

And the Mets do just that...Chili is out (as is the assistant hitting coach).  Some dude named Quattlebaum takes over.  Kind of ironic in that the Mets were just starting to score, but they’ve been inconsistent enough to need some kind of shakeup.  We’ll see if this somehow gets Lindor and others going. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I was gonna make the joke maybe Diesel Donnie got Chili fired but I see that's like shooting fish in a barrel since everyone's making that crack.  I get it was fun for a couple of days but it actually seems like management took it literally when they're not crediting the current staff but some alias/mythical creature/pet for their brief breakout.  

I don't know how much changing the hitting coach is going to do unless they also change their philosophy of ignoring shifts and swinging for 3-run HR's even when two men aren't on base.  Maybe it does put Rojas on notice though, since that was basically the Steve Philips move - fire the coaches to put Bobby V on notice.

Edited by NJDevs4978
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I was gonna make the joke maybe Diesel Donnie got Chili fired but I see that's like shooting fish in a barrel since everyone's making that crack.  I get it was fun for a couple of days but it actually seems like management took it literally when they're not crediting the current staff but some alias/mythical creature/pet for their brief breakout.  

I don't know how much changing the hitting coach is going to do unless they also change their philosophy of ignoring shifts and swinging for 3-run HR's even when two men aren't on base.  Maybe it does put Rojas on notice though, since that was basically the Steve Philips move - fire the coaches to put Bobby V on notice.

It's a little too early to start messing with the roster, but there was enough lack of hitting that it felt like they had to do SOMETHING...I kinda figured this would be the first move.

You are right though, the problem with a LOT of major league hitters these days (not just the Mets) is that they're stubborn as can be.  They refuse to adjust to shifts and far too many of them take great big cuts no matter what the count...that's helped to make the game the much less compelling product that it is today.  When friends who don't watch baseball talk about how boring it can be, sadly I can understand why. 

And yeah, I think Rojas' seat is already starting to get warm...the problem is that I have no idea if there's any real obvious replacement.  You almost wonder if they'd dare circle back to Beltran, because others who were suspended or shamed due to the Astros scandal are back in business...and he was never formally punished.  To be clear I'm not endorsing this at all, and think it has a minuscule chance of happening...but being that there's all new personnel running the show from top-to-bottom, I can't totally rule it out either.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, '7' said:

Joey Lucchesi just isn't very good. I was kind of hopeful he could turn out as one of those late blooming lefties who finally figures out...but that was during one of my out of character pings of optimist. Just doesn't look like it (and he has a very herky jerky violent delivery which just makes you cringe) the sooner we can jettison him from the rotation the better. No inning feels safe with him, he's just a straight trash pitcher

Looks like Matz is returning to form too and thankfully reinforcements are on the way (Carrasco went five innings at the alternate site in his last start) but I never bought Lucchesi as a direct replacement, too many moving parts in the delivery and not enough stuff to justify it.

Edited by NJDevs4978
Link to post
Share on other sites

I almost want to bring back Beltran just to give a fvck you to Manfred, as it is he's probably waiting in the weeds to see how things go with Boone and the Yankees the next couple weeks.  That actually looked like a possibility until the Yankees got well against the Tigers and Orioles.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Looks like Matz is returning to form too and thankfully reinforcements are on the way (Carrasco went five innings at the alternate site in his last start) but I never bought Lucchesi as a direct replacement, too many moving parts in the delivery and not enough stuff to justify it.

20 hits and 4 HR allowed in his last 13.2 IP (14 ER).  And now the Jays are seeing why Matz is what he is.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Always seems to be some annual scare with deGrom, but then he turns out to be ok...hope that’s the case this time.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.