2021 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

Right side inflammation, not believed to be serious.  No IL.  About as good as we could’ve hoped for.

This puts the problem with baseball into perspective...the author basically cites evidence to support his theory that pitching is just too good now (or too ahead of the hitters), and it might be time to lower the mound or move it back:

Gerrit Cole and company have “broken” baseball (msn.com)

This past April was a standout month for offensive ineptitude, with more than 1,000 more strikeouts than hits and the lowest triple slash line in at least 30 years. The league is striking out, on average, 25 percent of the time. Doc Gooden’s electric, nine-win, Cy Young-winning 1985 season saw him strike out 25 percent of the hitters he faced. Every pitcher, on average, strikes batters out at the rate the best pitcher in the game did in the ‘80s.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Shocking 1

And what's funny about the above is that it's almost like trying to make sense of hitters' numbers in the PCL...right now damned near EVERYONE is a "strikeout pitcher".  Back in the day, Tom Seaver averaged well over 200 K per season, for a 9-season stretch (winning 3 Cy Young)...he averaged "only" 7.9 K per 9 IP for that time frame, and only once finished a season with more Ks than IP.  I'd have to look, but I'd say Nolan Ryan was the only guy who was consistently striking out more hitters than IP for most of his career...and though his K was greater than his IP, he wasn't WAY WAY over (9.5 K per 9 IP for his career), the way some guys are now.  For comparison, deGrom is at 10.6 K per 9 IP.  And according to the Gooden comparison, basically the average K guy now averages 8.7 per 9 IP (Gooden's 1985 rate).  I know I'm beating to death, but this is a real fvcking problem.   

Guess 1986 really was as good as it was ever going to get.  Thank god I was old enough to see them and still remember that team today.  

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I take back what I said last week, the Mets are now officially more tiresome than the Devils

0-23 and counting...will we get to Don Zimmer-level futility?

Jose Canseco once went 0-40.

Marcus whiffing five straight now...obviously not that big of a deal nowadays...

Ever see a not-so-good baseball movie called “The Fan”?  Starred Robert De Niro and Wesley Snipes.  Lindor is starting to remind me of Bobby Rayburn.

So Lindor now making an error...does this guy just want us to hate him?

And of course Lindor’s error leads to two unearned runs...until further notice, this guy is a fvcking curse.  

• Angry 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Jose Canseco once went 0-40.

Marcus whiffing five straight now...obviously not that big of a deal nowadays...

Ever see a not-so-good baseball movie called “The Fan”?  Starred Robert De Niro and Wesley Snipes.  Lindor is starting to remind me of Bobby Rayburn.

Hah yeah that was a bit creepy...who would be the Primo, Guillorme?

13 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Hah yeah that was a bit creepy...who would be the Primo, Guillorme?

Funny, I was trying to figure out who the Primo guy would be too...yeah, guess Guillorme makes as much sense as anyone else.

Would me nice to see some kind of plan at the plate, some kind of effort. Peterson crapped the bed at home after the had two nice wins in St. Louis. 4-0 in the 3rd...can this god damn offense rally for once?

And what on earth is going on in the dugout!

7 hours ago, '7' said:

It was utter mayhem today but I'll give them credit...they gutted one out

Yeah everything about this game was so Met-like...except the final result.  Big comeback that’s kind of gotten lost in the shuffle with the whole McNeil - Lindor drama.  

And on a side note, Wade Miley threw the season’s FOURTH no-hitter last night.  Not even a quarter of the way through through the 2021 season yet. Baseball is feeling more broken by the day.

If you believe grapevine chatter supposedly McNeil was pissed about his slump (and it’s not exactly uncommon for him to be Paul O’Neill like intense), Lindor was trying to calm him down but he was having none of it and that’s how the supposed incident occurred.  Seems like the offensive struggles are getting on their nerves about as much as ours.

• Like 1

Yeah what this team needs is to go on a good old-fashioned tear and for some of their hitters to get red hot...Captain Obvious sh!t, no doubt, but feels like this team hasn’t been able to exhale all season...funny in that it’s not like they have an awful record, and they’re only a game out of first...it could clearly be SO much worse...hell, they’ve even won five out of their last seven (doesn’t feel like it in the slightest though).

They’ve also scored 35 runs over the past seven games (held to less than four only once), and it doesn’t feel like that’s happened either.  Just a strange year so far.

3 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

If you believe grapevine chatter supposedly McNeil was pissed about his slump (and it’s not exactly uncommon for him to be Paul O’Neill like intense), Lindor was trying to calm him down but he was having none of it and that’s how the supposed incident occurred.  

It was an argument about whether they saw a raccoon or rat in the clubhouse. 😃

• Like 1

Among the funnier snippets I saw:

With the second home run of his Met career, Francisco Lindor has now moved ahead of Bartolo Colon on the Mets’ all-time HR list.

What Zack is saying is all well and good, but he’s gotta realize that the Mets aren’t exactly known for handing issues deftly.  I would’ve asked him, “OK, so how would YOU have handled it then?”  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And on a side note, Wade Miley threw the season’s FOURTH no-hitter last night.  Not even a quarter of the way through through the 2021 season yet. Baseball is feeling more broken by the day.

Something like this has never happened before. Four so early in a season. Honestly the next time I hear someone has a no no I may not even care enough to watch or follow it. It's just...meh.

I really miss the nuances of the game. Heck the Lindor run earlier today...THAT finally felt like baseball. It was finally seeing a run scored on something other than a home run. It was heady and resourceful. A breath of fresh air

Edited by '7'