Goose being let loose. Devils seeking to end Contract

titans04

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

May I be the first to make a “the Goose is loose” joke?

Is this a move to make room for Tyce?

I think it’s to make room for Thompson, and because Gusev is about as useful as an a$$hole on your elbow.

10 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He ain’t getting claimed.

Yes we’ll just agree on that this time lol. 

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I think it’s to make room for Thompson, and because Gusev is about as useful as an a$$hole on your elbow.

That sounds pretty convenient when it’s short sleeve weather. 

• Haha 1

Oh well...yet another of Shero's "makes sense on paper" moves that managed not to work out.  Feel for him...when it came to those kinds of deals, quite often the guy couldn't catch a break.  

And of course, it wasn't so long ago that we were worried about the Devils not re-signing him to an extension.  Even MORE money to spend next season (if they can actually get someone to come here).  

Seems more certain than ever that Goose just goes back to the K after this season.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Oh well...yet another of Shero's "makes sense on paper" moves that managed not to work out.  Feel for him...when it came to those kinds of deals, quite often the guy couldn't catch a break.  

Seems more certain than ever that Goose just goes back to the K after this season.  

I’m not mad at Ray on this one. Deal made sense, he looked good last year. Sometimes you don’t get everything you wanted. So you move on. 

• Like 5

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I’m not mad at Ray on this one. Deal made sense, he looked good last year. Sometimes you don’t get everything you wanted. So you move on. 

Oh I'm not mad at Ray in the slightest.  He made a ton of trades that made perfect sense (Goose was worth taking a shot on)...I feel for Shero because it seems like a lot of them had a way of not paying off.  Like I've said before, it seems like most of his luck was used up in winning two lotteries.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Oh I'm not mad at Ray in the slightest.  He made a ton of trades that made perfect sense (Goose was worth taking a shot on)...I feel for Shero because it seems like a lot of them had a way of not paying off.  Like I've said before, it seems like most of his luck was used up in winning two lotteries.  

So you’re saying, the Goose was worth the squeeze...lol

• Haha 2

I had such high expectations for Goose. Back when he was still a prospect for the Lightning, I thought they were so lucky to have what looked like yet another potential star forward in their system. And after last season, when he got it together toward the end, he looked to be the frontrunner for the Devils' points leader in 2021. Really surprised he isn't working out this season.

Assuming he doesn't get claimed, what happens next for him? He technically can play in the AHL as far as I know. Do they give him some time there to try to figure it out?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Hard not to make a parallel between Goose and Damian Brunner 

Not really the same...Goose had a sustained stretch (30 points over his final 37 GP) that gave everyone reason to hope that he might have figured out the NHL.

Brunner had three goals through three games and five points through his first five games here, and everyone kinda lost their minds a bit.  He then put up just 3 points over his next 22 GP, had one six-game burst (8 points), and then pretty much disappeared after that (9 points over his last 27 GP).  Just 20 points total over his last 55 GP that first year.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not really the same...Goose had a sustained stretch (30 points over his final 37 GP) that gave everyone reason to hope that he might have figured out the NHL.

Brunner had three goals through three games and five points through his first five games here, and everyone kinda lost their minds a bit.  He then put up just 3 points over his next 22 GP, had one six-game burst (8 points), and then pretty much disappeared after that (9 points over his last 27 GP).  Just 20 points total over his last 55 GP that first year.  

Saying something is parallel doesnt mean its the exact same. 

Both guys were showing great potential in another league outside the NHL, came over and had a decent and respectable first season or 2. Then suddenly dropped off a cliff and turned out pretty disappointing overall.

Really not sure why you felt the need to nitpick there haha

Edited by SterioDesign

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Saying something is parallel doesnt mean its the exact same. 

Both guys were showing great potential in another league outside the NHL, came over and had a decent and respectable first season or 2. Then suddenly dropped off a cliff and turned out pretty disappointing overall.

Really not sure why you felt the need to nitpick there haha

If you factor in Brunner's first season (with the Red Wings...I was only looking at his Devils numbers), yeah, he really came out flying...10 G and 6 A through his first 19 NHL games.  He did drop off significantly after that (10 points over his final 25 GP as a Red Wing...likely why he was available to the Devils), and never enjoyed a stretch like that those first 19 games again.  

Wasn't really nitpicking that much...more pointing out that Goose was a bit different because instead of starting strong and then tailing off, he went the other way, which had me optimistic that he was becoming a solid NHLer.  But yeah, in the end, sadly the result was the same...they didn't have the goods to stick around in the NHL long-term. 

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

it would be interesting to see a list of all the trades he made during his time here and see how many worked out and how many didn't. off the top of my head hall, palms, and i guess vats worked out. those are the only ones that stick out as i think about it. i'm sure i'm missing one or two....i hope.

8 hours ago, DevilMinder said:

Yea  you know being put on the waivers this close to the deadline he was shopped around and got no interest.

True, could it also help getting him traded since they don't have to waive him on the claiming team since he's already passed through once? Like to go to the taxi squad.