Goose being let loose. Devils seeking to end Contract

titans04

6 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Does this mean Jesper Bratt takes back the lead for Weirdest Looking Dude on our team?

Nah. Probably Merkley. I saw a poster on HF say he looks like someone’s backup weed dealer and I about died lol

24 minutes ago, ilzz89 said:

He just didn't fit ruffs system. Also maybe covid had something to do like with zibanajad. 

Ruff doesn’t like guys who don’t skate well. Probably a big part of why Butcher has such a tough time cracking the lineup. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Nah. Probably Merkley. I saw a poster on HF say he looks like someone’s backup weed dealer and I about died lol

Yeah I forgot about Merkley. He is an odd one too. If you painted him red he’d look like one of those vintage style Devil tattoos. 

AB243282-E3BF-4707-89E0-9F8B934CE8ED.jpeg

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, devils744 said:

it would be interesting to see a list of all the trades he made during his time here and see how many worked out and how many didn't. off the top of my head hall, palms, and i guess vats worked out. those are the only ones that stick out as i think about it. i'm sure i'm missing one or two....i hope.

Patrick Maroon.

• Like 3

I’ve been thinking about this some more, and I wonder if it’s premature to say that Gusev didn’t work out at the NHL level. This is a strange season, with plenty of players playing far worse than what is expected of them. I don’t think a team claims Gusev, but I wouldn’t be surprised if one does. 

This is much different than a Brunner type of player. None of us really wanted Brunner to stick around after the first 30 games or so. At the end of last season, we all thought it should be a priority to lock Gusev up. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nessus said:

I’ve been thinking about this some more, and I wonder if it’s premature to say that Gusev didn’t work out at the NHL level. This is a strange season, with plenty of players playing far worse than what is expected of them. I don’t think a team claims Gusev, but I wouldn’t be surprised if one does. 

This is much different than a Brunner type of player. None of us really wanted Brunner to stick around after the first 30 games or so. At the end of last season, we all thought it should be a priority to lock Gusev up. 

goose will have another chance hopefully. he just didn't work out on this team. 

10 hours ago, nessus said:

I feel like everyone already knew what I would say when I came into this thread, because I'm essentially the only Goose apologist on this forum, but my sentiments are exactly what you mentioned.  I know the guy isn't exactly super young (he's hardly old either, still under 30), but it was his FIRST season in the NHL last year like you pointed out, and on top of that, the dude had 44 points in 66 games.  That's not bad at all.  It's probably a better pace than anyone on our team will sniff this season.  Beyond that, we all know this season has been hard on everyone, especially the Devils where the whole team got Covid.  I just don't see how they can justify waiving the guy after 20-25 games into a Covid-laden season.  It seems like a big knee-jerk reaction to me.  

Also, I know many people don't like the shootout, myself included, but I think we all know it's probably not going anywhere, and Goose is literally the only one who scores for us in shootouts.  If he was in the lineup the other night, maybe we don't go 0-2 and lose to Boston.  Missing out on some of those additional 1-pointers eventually adds up.  Not saying he should secure a roster spot solely for that reason, but it's a factor that should be considered when examining Goose as a player in the overall sense.

I won't be shocked if he goes unclaimed, but I'll be shocked if no one takes a flyer on him in the off-season in the event that he's not offered anything here.  Beyond having some potential (in my eyes, anyway), the guy isn't going to command a high dollar contract either.  That's another reason why I just don't get tossing him aside - it's not like he's asking for a ton, please, even if he was, we have a ton of cap space anyway.  

Anyway, it is what it is.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nessus said:

True. The bigger problem for Gusev was all the young kids knocking on the door for playing time. Plus with his contract coming up and him playing poorly, he was going to be benched. I’m sure someone will take a flyer on him for the reasons you mentioned.

I think the long layoff really hurt his game.  I have no clue about what he did during the downtime to keep himself busy but it at least appears that he wasn't on the ice nearly enough.  Game just fell completely off a cliff.

I would not be shocked at all to see him sign a short term deal with Tampa to go play with Kucherov.  

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I feel like everyone already knew what I would say when I came into this thread, because I'm essentially the only Goose apologist on this forum, but my sentiments are exactly what you mentioned.  I know the guy isn't exactly super young (he's hardly old either, still under 30), but it was his FIRST season in the NHL last year like you pointed out, and on top of that, the dude had 44 points in 66 games.  That's not bad at all.  It's probably a better pace than anyone on our team will sniff this season.  Beyond that, we all know this season has been hard on everyone, especially the Devils where the whole team got Covid.  I just don't see how they can justify waiving the guy after 20-25 games into a Covid-laden season.  It seems like a big knee-jerk reaction to me.  

Also, I know many people don't like the shootout, myself included, but I think we all know it's probably not going anywhere, and Goose is literally the only one who scores for us in shootouts.  If he was in the lineup the other night, maybe we don't go 0-2 and lose to Boston.  Missing out on some of those additional 1-pointers eventually adds up.  Not saying he should secure a roster spot solely for that reason, but it's a factor that should be considered when examining Goose as a player in the overall sense.

I won't be shocked if he goes unclaimed, but I'll be shocked if no one takes a flyer on him in the off-season in the event that he's not offered anything here.  Beyond having some potential (in my eyes, anyway), the guy isn't going to command a high dollar contract either.  That's another reason why I just don't get tossing him aside - it's not like he's asking for a ton, please, even if he was, we have a ton of cap space anyway.  

Anyway, it is what it is.  

Your last paragraph is why I think he may be going back to the K...he might get more money there.  And of course was a more productive player there as well.

I know Covid is making a mess of things and trying to evaluate everyone isn’t easy, but Goose really did look bad this year.  Next season is going to be his Age 29 season as well, so not like he’s a kid.

If he does decide to stick around in the NHL (and a team decides to take a chance on him), he may do a little better, but not so much that we’ll feel like we let one get away.  Remember, he became intriguing because he put up fat numbers on a very stacked KHL team...Kovy did the same, and we saw what happened when he came back here.  The NHL is a superior beast...an older Kovy proved himself to be unworthy, and even if Goose manages to stick around, I’m guessing he’ll bounce around a little, and make occasional short-term impacts.  But not nearly enough to make us feeling regretful over moving on from him.  That 30 points in 37 GP stretch from last season will likely be his best.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Your last paragraph is why I think he may be going back to the K...he might get more money there.  And of course was a more productive player there as well.

I know Covid is making a mess of things and trying to evaluate everyone isn’t easy, but Goose really did look bad this year.  Next season is going to be his Age 29 season as well, so not like he’s a kid.

If he does decide to stick around in the NHL (and a team decides to take a chance on him), he may do a little better, but not so much that we’ll feel like we let one get away.  Remember, he became intriguing because he put up fat numbers on a very stacked KHL team...Kovy did the same, and we saw what happened when he came back here.  The NHL is a superior beast...an older Kovy proved himself to be unworthy, and even if Goose manages to stick around, I’m guessing he’ll bounce around a little, and make occasional short-term impacts.  But not nearly enough to make us feeling regretful over moving on from him.  That 30 points in 37 GP stretch from last season will likely be his best.  

Yeah, what you just laid out is probably what will end up happening and coming true.  Who knows, maybe we send him to the AHL and he finds his game there and gets called back up at the end of this season for one last stint.

I forgot to mention... how does a guy like Gusev, who is at the very least good in the shootout and has 5pts in 20 games, not only gets benched, but waived, yet a guy like Johnsson who has just 8pts in 34 games, remains a constant staple in the lineup each night, and often gets top line minutes?!  It makes absolutely no sense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I forgot to mention... how does a guy like Gusev, who is at the very least good in the shootout and has 5pts in 20 games, not only gets benched, but waived, yet a guy like Johnsson who has just 8pts in 34 games, remains a constant staple in the lineup each night, and often gets top line minutes?!  It makes absolutely no sense.

Johnsson is signed for two more years after this one.  And sadly knowing that doesn’t exactly fill me with joy.  I just don’t see much there.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

27 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Johnsson is signed for two more years after this one.  And sadly knowing that doesn’t exactly fill me with joy.  I just don’t see much there.

I have to wonder if attitude or work ethic have anything to do with it. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I have to wonder if attitude or work ethic have anything to do with it. 

Yeah that's a good point.  Not to stereotype, but some Russian players have a reputation for being lazy, especially those who come over from the KHL...

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah that's a good point.  Not to stereotype, but some Russian players have a reputation for being lazy, especially those who come over from the KHL...

When the guy went from KHL MVP to our second leading scorer to getting waived, I have to think something other than his abilities is at play. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I follow him on instagram. Or, I did follow him last summer. 

All of our guys were posting photos of workouts and ice time. Goose was posting photos/stories of himself on vacation with his wife/gf, out at bars, etc. 

It's easy to look way too much into that, but t seems like this guy stopped caring about hockey the second last season got cancelled. And he never really started caring again. 

I get the feeling there's absolutely something to the above.  Players who are not playing well can look like they don't give a damn (even if they do), but in Goose's case, he did seem to be disengaged.  And once he wasn't in the lineup anymore, he wasn't interested in trying to fight his way back in.  Still think it was worth taking the chance on Shero's part.  

2 minutes ago, BlueSkirt said:

ooh, suddenly we have lots of jersey numbers available !

any star players with 19, 21, or 97 are now welcome here

I came dangerously close to snagging a Heritage Goose GW.  Glad that I passed.  

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I get the feeling there's absolutely something to the above.  Players who are not playing well can look like they don't give a damn (even if they do), but in Goose's case, he did seem to be disengaged.  And once he wasn't in the lineup anymore, he wasn't interested in trying to fight his way back in.  Still think it was worth taking the chance on Shero's part.  

gotta be difficult to fully-meld with the team when you barely speak a word of English too

• Like 1