GDT: Two bad teams compete to see who isn't the worst (NJD Vs BUF)

Chimaira_Devil_#9

24 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Let's Go Deadline. 

I mean Devils. 

Ol fish lips has been Palmed. 

Tyce Thompson making his debut against his brother Tage. Their parents Turg and Trig will be in attendance and very proud. 

As will their aunt and uncle, Tingle and Turdburger. 

Oh, and LGD. 

We should beat this team.  Hell, we should actually curb stomp them.  The latter won't happen, but I'm hoping at least the former does - we just can't beat Washington, at all, but aside from when we play them, this team has started to play quite a bit better lately, so I'm hoping they can pile up the wins against some teams that they know they can actually compete with.  Frankly the next 5-10 games we should absolutely be in and stand a good chance of winning.  

On the subject of Hall being benched though, of course it makes sense to sit him out for the same reason it makes sense to sit out Palms, but what doesn't make sense to me is to immediately sell this guy at the deadline after less than a year.  I know Arizona only had him for half a season, and I'm not exactly sure if they made an offer to him last summer, but if they didn't, then I have to ask.... did they really think he was going to turn their team around and make them a playoff juggernaut in three months?  Likewise, did Buffalo really think Hall was going to make them a playoff juggernaut in a Covid-stricken 4 month season?  I just don't get how they bring in a guy, with talent, for less than a year and ship him out the second that their team is performing under expectations (yes, I understand they're wayyyyyyy under expectations, but that's not all on Hall).  There's only so many times you can ship out veteran talent and try to bring in picks and "build through the draft".  I feel like Buffalo has done that for the last 10-15 years, or longer, and to me giving up on Hall after a few months seems counterintuitive.  

I guess the better question is... has he made it clear he doesn't want to stay there?  Has Buffalo tried to extend him?  

17 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

We should beat this team.  Hell, we should actually curb stomp them.  The latter won't happen, but I'm hoping at least the former does - we just can't beat Washington, at all, but aside from when we play them, this team has started to play quite a bit better lately, so I'm hoping they can pile up the wins against some teams that they know they can actually compete with.  Frankly the next 5-10 games we should absolutely be in and stand a good chance of winning.  

On the subject of Hall being benched though, of course it makes sense to sit him out for the same reason it makes sense to sit out Palms, but what doesn't make sense to me is to immediately sell this guy at the deadline after less than a year.  I know Arizona only had him for half a season, and I'm not exactly sure if they made an offer to him last summer, but if they didn't, then I have to ask.... did they really think he was going to turn their team around and make them a playoff juggernaut in three months?  Likewise, did Buffalo really think Hall was going to make them a playoff juggernaut in a Covid-stricken 4 month season?  I just don't get how they bring in a guy, with talent, for less than a year and ship him out the second that their team is performing under expectations (yes, I understand they're wayyyyyyy under expectations, but that's not all on Hall).  There's only so many times you can ship out veteran talent and try to bring in picks and "build through the draft".  I feel like Buffalo has done that for the last 10-15 years, or longer, and to me giving up on Hall after a few months seems counterintuitive.  

I guess the better question is... has he made it clear he doesn't want to stay there?  Has Buffalo tried to extend him?  

Based on internet chatter that I've seen from Sabres fans (make of it what you will), they basically say he's been mailing it in up there for a while.

To that, I say a player actually doing that isn't as easy to spot as some fans like to think it is.  Why would Hall mail it in, in a year where he's trying to score the long-term deal he couldn't last year?  Makes no sense.

I think he's been some combination of insanely unlucky...and not quite up to snuff...he's not blameless.  Underlying metrics have been kind to him this season (the glamour numbers certainly haven't been), so maybe some GMs will chalk up 2021 as a kooky aberration.  Still wonder who would sign him long-term.  

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Jack gets 2 tonight and we find out after the game Kulikov is traded to Florida for a 2nd and 5th. 

Saw some rumors that Boston might trade for both Palms and Kulikov.  Maybe DeBrusk and a gaggle of picks?  I'd listen.

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Saw some rumors that Boston might trade for both Palms and Kulikov.  Maybe DeBrusk and a gaggle of picks?  I'd listen.

I was trying to work out if packaging them together gives you more leverage and gets you more in return or less?

I mean is Palms and Kulikov together getting you a low first. Or is it better to go separately and get a 2nd and a 3rd. 

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

53 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

On the subject of Hall being benched though, of course it makes sense to sit him out for the same reason it makes sense to sit out Palms, but what doesn't make sense to me is to immediately sell this guy at the deadline after less than a year.  

That's what it all depends on. I think it's pretty clear that Taylor was not looking to be in Buffalo long term, he wants to win and that's not something he would go to Buffalo for. If he was willing to wait for a rebuild, he'd still be a Devil (at a much higher salary for a long term and we would all be pissed). 

If there is no extension in place, it makes zero sense to not trade him. There is no extension in place. He has to be traded. 

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

and someone tells me i need 911 because i wrote “man, I like this lineup better without Palms” 

but that’s not very bold 

You're disgusting. 😘

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Based on internet chatter that I've seen from Sabres fans (make of it what you will), they basically say he's been mailing it in up there for a while.

To that, I say a player actually doing that isn't as easy to spot as some fans like to think it is.  Why would Hall mail it in, in a year where he's trying to score the long-term deal he couldn't last year?  Makes no sense.

I think he's been some combination of insanely unlucky...and not quite up to snuff...he's not blameless.  Underlying metrics have been kind to him this season (the glamour numbers certainly haven't been), so maybe some GMs will chalk up 2021 as a kooky aberration.  Still wonder who would sign him long-term.  

Yeah, I think you're right - I don't know why anyone would suspect he'd be mailing it in other than perhaps he went to Buffalo thinking they had lots of young talent and with the addition of himself, maybe they would be in a much better position than where they obviously are now, but still, hard to imagine many athletes mailing it in if not for pride along, along with other things you mentioned like wanting a high dollar contract, and so forth.

28 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

People don't like Kulikov?  I think the guy's been fine.  Perhaps even great.  He doesn't have many points, but that's because he's a stay at home d-man, something I think we need very, very badly.  We have enough offensive defensemen in Severson, Subban, Smith, Vatanen, and now Murray.  Kulikov doesn't make too many mistakes, and he also doesn't take many penalties.  I really don't see the downside in having him on the team.  

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That's what it all depends on. I think it's pretty clear that Taylor was not looking to be in Buffalo long term, he wants to win and that's not something he would go to Buffalo for. If he was willing to wait for a rebuild, he'd still be a Devil (at a much higher salary for a long term and we would all be pissed). 

Yeah, that's what perplexes me... since he didn't get a long-term contract with Buffalo for a high price like I assume he wants, then why sign there to begin with?  You would think the only other explanation on his part is to win like you mentioned, but.... did he really think Buffalo was ready to "win" this season?  No one expected them to be this bad, especially with his arrival on top of the roster they had last season, but still... I think it's foolish on his part if he thought he was going to pull off some dash-n-go, where he wins a Cup this season on a 1 year deal, then automatically gets to turn around and sign a long term mega deal with another team.  

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah, that's what perplexes me... since he didn't get a long-term contract with Buffalo for a high price like I assume he wants, then why sign there to begin with?  You would think the only other explanation on his part is to win like you mentioned, but.... did he really think Buffalo was ready to "win" this season?  No one expected them to be this bad, especially with his arrival on top of the roster they had last season, but still... I think it's foolish on his part if he thought he was going to pull off some dash-n-go, where he wins a Cup this season on a 1 year deal, then automatically gets to turn around and sign a long term mega deal with another team.  

He didn’t play like a superstar in Arizona. So, he got one year at $8m, 90 minutes from home. He was banking on playing with Eichel, tearing up the league, and getting a long term mega deal with a contender and winning some cups. 

If anyone believes he signed the m Buffalo because he wanted to win and he thought that was the best place for that, I have a bridge to sell you. 

22 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah, I think you're right - I don't know why anyone would suspect he'd be mailing it in other than perhaps he went to Buffalo thinking they had lots of young talent and with the addition of himself, maybe they would be in a much better position than where they obviously are now, but still, hard to imagine many athletes mailing it in if not for pride along, along with other things you mentioned like wanting a high dollar contract, and so forth.

People don't like Kulikov?  I think the guy's been fine.  Perhaps even great.  He doesn't have many points, but that's because he's a stay at home d-man, something I think we need very, very badly.  We have enough offensive defensemen in Severson, Subban, Smith, Vatanen, and now Murray.  Kulikov doesn't make too many mistakes, and he also doesn't take many penalties.  I really don't see the downside in having him on the team.  

I don't see anyone not liking Kulikov...nothing in my post suggested that.  More than Boston is (possibly) interested in trading for both players, according to rumors.  We'll find out soon enough if there's anything to it.