Zajac & Palms to NYI

jagknife

Just now, mfitz804 said:

It was fine to see it. I didn’t root for it. 

Rooting for the Isles when the placement of the pick we just traded for hangs in the balance, that I shall not do. 

I would if they’re in the finals. I don’t think one spot is that big of a deal. 

7 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Looking through the final picks of the first round for about the last decade or so and the best player was probably actually an Isles pick (Brock Nelson)...

Just going off of mynhldraft, the Isles are currently listed as having the 25th pick.   Pasternak was the 25th pick in 2014

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

I would if they’re in the finals. I don’t think one spot is that big of a deal. 

I’d rather have a better pick than root for a rival team to win. But that’s a personal choice. I don’t root for players who have left. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

Just going off of mynhldraft, the Isles are currently listed as having the 25th pick.   Pasternak was the 25th pick in 2014

26th was Nikita Scherbak. He played 37 NHL games and is in the KHL. 

One spot in the draft can make a difference lol. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Happy for those guys to move onto a team that may make a run.  As for us, this does little if anything to make this team better going into next season. So yeah more waiting ahead.  

It’s not supposed to, it’s a deadline trade. You’re trying to get something instead of losing guys for nothing. “Something” is typically picks or prospects that may or may not play the following year. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Haha, true.  Hopefully we could use that conditional 4th to move up a spot.  

Another good late 1st round is Eeli Tolvanen in Nashville.  30th in 2017.  He's been tearing it up while they've been without Forsberg, Arvidsson, Duchene and Ellis 

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

Haha, true.  Hopefully we could use that conditional 4th to move up a spot.  

Another good late 1st round is Eeli Tolvanen in Nashville.  30th in 2017.  He's been tearing it up while they've been without Forsberg, Arvidsson, Duchene and Ellis 

Next pick was Klim Kostin, 4 career NHL games, not currently playing lol. 

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’d rather have a better pick than root for a rival team to win. But that’s a personal choice. I don’t root for players who have left. 

Well, you don’t really root for all the players we have now, so I’m not surprised you’re a root for the laundry type of guy. :P

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

It could make a difference whether your pick is better or worse! It's somewhat of a lottery when you get past the midpoint of the first round.

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Well, you don’t really root for all the players we have now, so I’m not surprised you’re a root for the laundry type of guy. :P

I always root for them. I just call it like I see it when they are ineffective. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Next pick was Klim Kostin, 4 career NHL games, not currently playing lol. 

Okay, okay.   I will root for the Isles to lose every game from here on out but then we better not miss someone great in the draft by one pick.   

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s not supposed to, it’s a deadline trade. You’re trying to get something instead of losing guys for nothing. “Something” is typically picks or prospects that may or may not play the following year. 

just as you don't care for how guys do once they leave here, all I care about is how it impacts us going forward. I don't have any doubt Zajac would of resigned here. As for Palms with the vast amount of cap space we sit on year after year I would of overpaid to keep him.  You're not winning in this league with a roster full of kids with more than half of them never having done much if anything in the NHL.  As Nicomo always points out a roster where Wood is your leading scorer. 

I'm already prepared for well no big name stud free agents wanted to come here this offseason, so where does that leave us.  The NJ/Binghamton Devils

3 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

It could make a difference whether your pick is better or worse! It's somewhat of a lottery when you get past the midpoint of the first round.

absolutely, but then it’s on you. Why would you root for your team to have anything other than the highest possible pick?

1 minute ago, titans04 said:

just as you don't care for how guys do once they leave here, all I care about is how it impacts us going forward. I don't have any doubt Zajac would of resigned here. As for Palms with the vast amount of cap space we sit on year after year I would of overpaid to keep him.  You're not winning in this league with a roster full of kids with more than half of them never having done much if anything in the NHL.  As Nicomo always points out a roster where Wood is your leading scorer. 

I'm already prepared for well no big name stud free agents wanted to come here this offseason, so where does that leave us.  The NJ/Binghamton Devils

You...think Zajac and Palmieri were the key to us starting to win?

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

You...think Zajac and Palmieri were the key to us starting to win?

1.  Zajac seemed to be an asset lately for any young guy on his line, so if he can help their development, yes.   

2.  I think you already brought this up but if he keeps Zacha in a top 6 LW spot while he handles 3C duties, that's a net positive.   

At this point, I don't think we need to do a second stint for Palmieri.   That feels to Rolston or Sykora 2.0 without the benefit of Elias propping them up.    

3 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

1.  Zajac seemed to be an asset lately for any young guy on his line, so if he can help their development, yes.   

2.  I think you already brought this up but if he keeps Zacha in a top 6 LW spot while he handles 3C duties, that's a net positive.   

At this point, I don't think we need to do a second stint for Palmieri.   That feels to Rolston or Sykora 2.0 without the benefit of Elias propping them up.    

If that’s the case, why didn’t he start making us win earlier??

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

absolutely, but then it’s on you. Why would you root for your team to have anything other than the highest possible pick?

Because when you're picking after 20, it's a dart throw. But my real answer is because it's Travis Zajac and Kyle Palmieri, two players who did a good job for us. And it's the Islanders, not the Flyers or Rangers. That makes a difference, at least to me it does. 

• Like 2