Zajac & Palms to NYI

jagknife

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

Lou's beard, number restrictions, and social media rules all seemed dumb to me. I mean I get why he has those rules, the whole team thing, but they never made any sense to me. There is so little personality and personal expression in hockey as it is. 

I have to agree, aside from maybe the social media. We have seen enough guys get into trouble for being idiots on social media, I can understand how the team has a vested interest in that. But beards and uniform numbers, no. 

I will say, though, Palmieri is an Ewok looking motherfvcker and he needed to get rid of that beard. Or at least crop it closer. 

49 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Who said I wanted to be a fan of another team? I just don't see the big deal of wanting success for some of our long time former players. 

You want to root for another team against the interests of that team, Islander Dan 56. 

1 minute ago, Jerrydevil said:

If Lou has the power to ban playoff beards throughout the entire league, I'd appreciate it.

I still can’t figure out why someone who basically sweats for a living would want to have long hair or a huge beard.

When I played as a kid I always kept my hair short, and I was in a band during a time when bands were expected to have long hair. Couldn’t do it because of hockey. 

26 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

So am i allowed to say it's typical that Lou got Palms to shave his beard or that's going to trigger some people again? 

And just so we're clear and that there's no misconception. I think this no beard rule is insanely dumb and there's absolutely no reason for players not being able to have beard if they want one. It's not impacting their play in any way. And i think the same thing about the Yankees.

One of the main reason i left my full time graphic design job at an agency is when we were bought by another company and they gave us a dress code where we'd have to wear fancy dress shirts and shoes. I'm a fvcking graphic designer, don't put me in a suit. I don't know of one single design agency forcing a dresscode on their designers who just work in the back. Salesmen or wtv i get it. I have friends working for huge companies like Marvell or Disney in the creative department and they don't even have dress code. fvck off. And since i left they were never able to get another designer with my qualifications and it's been a constant revolving door since. And i'm doing way better now working for myself so its totally their loss. So same thing here, why force something when every other teams doesnt.

Sometimes it just reaches a point where you have to accept some oldsters for who they are (in all walks), and that they're not suddenly going to change.  

Given the success Lou and the Yankees have often enjoyed, I can't really try to make an argument that these kinds of rules are somehow detrimental to team success.  Do I think that they're necessary?  Of course not...wanna grow a beard, wear a high number, whatever.  For every Lou-type that wants to implement a more restrictive set of rules, you have your John Maddens (the former coach) who didn't think that kind of stuff mattered one bit, and only cared about his players listening to him and giving their all when he told them to.  It wasn't so long ago that some cavemen-looking Red Sox were winning championships.  Both ways can work, though as we've seen, both ways can also eventually fail (often leading to a change to "the other way" once the prior regime is shown the door...the disciplinarian followed by the player's coach, etc).  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Lou's beard, number restrictions, and social media rules all seemed dumb to me. I mean I get why he has those rules, the whole team thing, but they never made any sense to me. There is so little personality and personal expression in hockey as it is. 

If any of those things could legit have an impact i'd get it. Social media i can understand. I'd personally want Subban to focus more on hockey and less on everything else.

But beard and numbers, to some people it's really important. Some players grew up with a specific number and it means a lot to them and their family. It's one thing to not being able to get that number when you get to the NHL if another players has it or if its retired, but if you can't get it simply because there's no number going over 30. It's dumb and so damn restrictive. Then you have numbers who's been worn by like 18 players and it's not as special. 

As for beard, many people are all about beards and it's even part of their personality. If a player had a long ZZtop beard going down to his knees and getting in the way of his player, then it's a different discussion haha

Those rules are just there to be there and control players. It's cold, empty and dumb. Those are not work environment people want to work in if they can help it

• Like 1

I remember that silly game during summer with the + and - to eliminate and save players... 

I would die on that hill to save Zajac. That was (sic) one my all time favorite for a loooong time. I will not list everything that was said before with a better english than mine but i'm sure really sad. Mad at the decision ? Not a single bit... This is probably the best decision for everyone ! 

Now... I'm gonna find a new player to love the same way ! 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

So am i allowed to say it's typical that Lou got Palms to shave his beard or that's going to trigger some people again? 

And just so we're clear and that there's no misconception. I think this no beard rule is insanely dumb and there's absolutely no reason for players not being able to have beard if they want one. It's not impacting their play in any way. And i think the same thing about the Yankees.

One of the main reason i left my full time graphic design job at an agency is when we were bought by another company and they gave us a dress code where we'd have to wear fancy dress shirts and shoes. I'm a fvcking graphic designer, don't put me in a suit. I don't know of one single design agency forcing a dresscode on their designers who just work in the back. Salesmen or wtv i get it. I have friends working for huge companies like Marvell or Disney in the creative department and they don't even have dress code. fvck off. And since i left they were never able to get another designer with my qualifications and it's been a constant revolving door since. And i'm doing way better now working for myself so its totally their loss. So same thing here, why force something when every other teams doesnt.

170530992_10157857085182466_4935982082861610510_n-1.thumb.jpg.c2ca2575bb93b63706a7a02894e51b11.jpg

100000% agree and I've always hated this stuff too. 

1 hour ago, moustic said:

I remember that silly game during summer with the + and - to eliminate and save players... 

I would die on that hill to save Zajac. That was (sic) one my all time favorite for a loooong time. I will not list everything that was said before with a better english than mine but i'm sure really sad. Mad at the decision ? Not a single bit... This is probably the best decision for everyone ! 

Now... I'm gonna find a new player to love the same way ! 

Even with some of the guys here, with Zajac and Palms being dealt, this organization has become oddly...faceless.  For a while, it felt like Palms was going to be here for quite a while...to the point where it seemed like (before this season) that he'd be re-signed and before we knew it, he would've been here 10+ seasons.  And Zajac was here for so long...in his own way, he was a bit like Brodeur, in that it just felt like he'd always be here...until he wasn't.

Not knocking in the deal in the slightest...like I've said, makes sense for both sides.  You never know how you're going to feel about these things until they happen...and I'm actually more bummed about Zajac going than Palms (though sorry to see both go, partly because I'm fond of both players, and partly because I hate what these deals represent...more failure).

I like Nico a lot, but goddamn I hope the guy can stay on the damned ice.

It's such a weird time...I fully get that Shero inherited an almost-empty cupboard, with the one guy who seemed like a legit cornerstone falling apart way too soon...and I get that any GM was going to need time to build things back up.  And there's some decent youth now...but it still feels like this team is so far away from even being solidly competitive.  When Fitz speaks of "weaponizing cap space", I really hope it's not taking on contracts of players that teams are all too willing to dump, so that they can keep the players that truly mean something to them.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I'm glad we got a late 1st, but our fan base will crap all over whoever we pick, be it 25th or 32nd. 

Our fan base just craps all over everyone and everything because they were fvcking spoiled for 20 years. The woe is me sh!t gets really old after a while.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Even with some of the guys here, with Zajac and Palms being dealt, this organization has become oddly...faceless.  For a while, it felt like Palms was going to be here for quite a while...to the point where it seemed like (before this season) that he'd be re-signed and before we knew it, he would've been here 10+ seasons.  And Zajac was here for so long...in his own way, he was a bit like Brodeur, in that it just felt like he'd always be here...until he wasn't.

Not knocking in the deal in the slightest...like I've said, makes sense for both sides.  You never know how you're going to feel about these things until they happen...and I'm actually more bummed about Zajac going than Palms (though sorry to see both go, partly because I'm fond of both players, and partly because I hate what these deals represent...more failure).

I like Nico a lot, but goddamn I hope the guy can stay on the damned ice.

It's such a weird time...I fully get that Shero inherited an almost-empty cupboard, with the one guy who seemed like a legit cornerstone falling apart way too soon...and I get that any GM was going to need time to build things back up.  And there's some decent youth now...but it still feels like this team is so far away from even being solidly competitive.  When Fitz speaks of "weaponizing cap space", I really hope it's not taking on contracts of players that teams are all too willing to dump, so that they can keep the players that truly mean something to them.  

I like the thoughts you posted here. Most long term Devils fans should feel the same way, I think. I don't ever expect the Devils to be a solid competitive team year after year. I just don't see that happening. 10 years from now I except to read that the Devils are still rebuilding.

14 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Nico and Jack say hello.

Agree. I have been watching both of these guys for their entire NHL career, they both have faces.

Nico’s is a little messed up.

Edited by mfitz804
  • Haha 1

Missed this getting ready for my oldests 4th Birthday. 

The trade is ok, I have no interest in the players coming in at all. Happy with the 1st, the more first rounders the more chance of hitting some gold. Even lower down the order. I didn't think we would get a first for Palms, so maybe this is a cumulative effect adding in Travis. 

I honestly think Travis will be back with us by the end of the summer. Can't blame him for wanting a shot again. I think Palms is gone. 

Initially I was hoping for some NHL ready talent. But having read a recent piece on how the Sabres fvcked up their rebuild by trying to push too soon and bringing in guys who were peaking when the young guys weren't ready, I am happy with another draft pick. I think realistically this team will only start loading up when Nico is 24-25. 

So that's another 2 years of growth and suffering. But hey , we have come this far, why rush now? 

I know at first i really though that it was basically a first for Palms and a 4th for zajac. But the more i think about it it makes a lot of sense.

We got Palms 5-6 years ago for a 2nd + 3rd as a RFA. He was not worth a 1st for 17 remaining games as a UFA, especially with the season he's been having.

And Travis I mean... he didn't go above 50 pts in 11 years... and only went above 50 twice in his whole NHL career. What could we actually expect for him? If you look at similar player. Say Derrick Brassard, i feel that's a fair comparison to Travis. Well look at every time he was traded. It wasn't for much.

So all in all i do feel a first and a 4th is fair for those 2. Plus we got some prospects i guess but mehh

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I know at first i really though that it was basically a first for Palms and a 4th for zajac. But the more i think about it it makes a lot of sense.

We got Palms 5-6 years ago for a 2nd + 3rd as a RFA. He was not worth a 1st for 17 remaining games as a UFA, especially with the season he's been having.

And Travis I mean... he didn't go above 50 pts in 11 years... and only went above 50 twice in his whole NHL career. What could we actually expect for him? If you look at similar player. Say Derrick Brassard, i feel that's a fair comparison to Travis. Well look at every time he was traded. It wasn't for much.

So all in all i do feel a first and a 4th is fair for those 2. Plus we got some prospects i guess but mehh

The older I get, the more things annoy me. But when people try to break down trades into something else, it really bothers me. We got two scrubs, a 1st and a 4th for Palms and Zajac. It’s not a first for one and a 4th for the other. 

I also don’t like when people try to combine trades and say “Basically we got so and so for so and so” when there’s like six degrees of separation in between and sometimes the deals are not even related.Orlike the idiots who said “basically we traded Kerfoot for Butcher”, which is not even remotely true. One didn’t sign with is and one did. So basically we traded every player on our roster for every player that decided not to sign with us. 

If you want to try to make it something else in your head, great. But it doesn’t work that way and it’s not one pick for one guy and the other pick for the other guy. 

Like Sterio said, 17 games of Palms, in his sh!ttiest season as a Devil, doesn’t get you a 1st round pick.