Zajac & Palms to NYI

jagknife

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Exactly. You didn’t have Zajac under contract for longer. Maybe you could’ve extended him, maybe not, maybe you still can. 

Except you don't have much of anything coming back. If the Isles go deep we're picking way late and the Devils don't exactly have a history of doing well in those spots. With Zajac you know what you got. You got someone who is reliable, seemed to have good line chemistry and had leadership skills. You lose it for someone who maybe can develop in a few years

Just now, Lateralous said:

Yeah, because there is no middle ground between being an continuing asset for the young guys development and "making us win earlier."   

He was a continuing asset for about a month. After that he was a departed asset. I would have had no problem giving him a 2 year extension, but that didn’t happen. In that situation, I would rather have something than nothing. 

39 minutes ago, titans04 said:

picking that low is a crapshoot, especially for a team that desperately needs the help now. Odds not in our favor to get someone who's going to come in and make an impact next season.

Wtf were your expectations for a pair of expiring contracts?

• Like 3

Just now, mfitz804 said:

He was a continuing asset for about a month. After that he was a departed asset. I would have had no problem giving him a 2 year extension, but that didn’t happen. In that situation, I would rather have something than nothing. 

I won’t be surprised if one of them is back next year.  Still just feels like a possibility. 

• Like 1

Just now, CarpathianForest said:

Except you don't have much of anything coming back. If the Isles go deep we're picking way late and the Devils don't exactly have a history of doing well in those spots. With Zajac you know what you got. You got someone who is reliable, seemed to have good line chemistry and had leadership skills. You lose it for someone who maybe can develop in a few years

Again, you are assuming he’d have extended. Maybe he would have, maybe he’s happier going to try for a cup with two of his friends. 

Maybe he signs here again next year like Vatanen did. We get a first round pick, likely fall in our own draft position, and he comes back next year as a veteran presence. 

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I won’t be surprised if one of them is back next year.  Still just feels like a possibility. 

Definitely. Which makes it an even better deal, per my previous post. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aylbert said:

Wtf were your expectations for a pair of expiring contracts?

I heard Eichel was available, they should have traded those guys for him plus Buffalo’s 1st. 

Just now, CarpathianForest said:

We traded a Paul Molitor rookie, you know not that flashy or valuable, kind beat at the corners but still worth something, for a box of 1984 Topps with all the good cards taken out

What are you drinking tonight, and are you sharing?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I wonder if there were any solid contract talks with Zajac. For all we know he's leaning towards retirement 

Could be. While we heard about Palms, we heard nothing about Travis. I am 100% sure it was discussed one way or the other. 

I'm upset Zajac got moved but I'm more upset for the return. We just don't do our homework with later round picks. Probably could have still gotten something decent for Palmieri...late second or third round pick maybe if we throw in an pick swap. I just don't think the value was there

Just now, MB3 said:

This is a kick in the dick and a punch in the teeth. It’s like looking both ways before crossing the street and getting hit by a cruise ship. 

Travis Zajac is one of my all time favorite players. Travis Zajac is the last player from our 2012 team. He’s the last player I saw live back when I had season seats with my pops. He’s the last player to play a game with Marty. 

That legacy, that memory... that’s not worth a 4th. Someone else would’ve given a first for Palmieri, it’s a garbage market. 

This hurts. And I’m angry. 

I get the emotion, but Palmieri was not bringing back a 1st. 

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

This is a kick in the dick and a punch in the teeth. It’s like looking both ways before crossing the street and getting hit by a cruise ship. 

Travis Zajac is one of my all time favorite players. Travis Zajac is the last player from our 2012 team. He’s the last player I saw live back when I had season seats with my pops. He’s the last player to play a game with Marty. 

That legacy, that memory... that’s not worth a 4th. Someone else would’ve given a first for Palmieri, it’s a garbage market. 

This hurts. And I’m angry. 

fvcking MB3 ro the rescue! Thank You for expressing what I'm having a hard time expressing

I love Zajac. Only luck to him.

Real price for today palms(50%) is a second round pick. Same about Zajac. I think ~28 pick is better than ~55+~56.

it’s not a steal, it’s not a great trade, but we are in profit. And I can call it pretty good.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Could be. While we heard about Palms, we heard nothing about Travis. I am 100% sure it was discussed one way or the other. 

Yeah, that's why I'm wondering if that is the reason he was willing to waive the clause. He probably realizes it's his last shot considering he didn't seem interested in leaving the area at all

He also seems like the kind of guy who would accept leaving if its best for the team

Edited by Devil Dan 56

9 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

It was but a month ago when most of the board thought he should never see the ice again and was washed up. 

He gets to stay home and a shot at the cup.   It’s a good move for Zajac.   It’s also very likely that Zajac would sign with the Islanders/Lou anyway next year for the same reason he waived this year to go.  Last gasps for a cup in a familiar setting.

Losing Palms hurts more on ice.   But if he we can’t extend him, which reports say we tried, then we did terrific getting a 1st back.     

Let’s not bitch about it being a “late” first, cause we simply don’t know yet.   And before he netted those recent goals rumors had him going for a 2nd+mid tier prospect.

Mid to late 1st   >> 2nd rounder

Edited by aylbert

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Definitely. Which makes it an even better deal, per my previous post. 

Yeah it’s best case...there was no guarantee right at this moment that they were coming back, and the Devils have long been out of the running for anything resembling relevance.  Get what you can and call it a day.

Maybe I’m wrong, but as far as the rest of this season goes, I almost wonder how this team is going to win a game (even though they’ll likely win one here and there).

1 minute ago, CarpathianForest said:

I'm upset Zajac got moved but I'm more upset for the return. We just don't do our homework with later round picks. Probably could have still gotten something decent for Palmieri...late second or third round pick maybe if we throw in an pick swap. I just don't think the value was there

I guess that’s why a 6th round pick is one of our best young players...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Guadana said:

I love Zajac. Only luck to him.

Real price for today palms(50%) is a second round pick. Same about Zajac. I think ~28 pick is better than ~55+~56.

it’s not a steal, it’s not a great trade, but we are in profit. And I can call it pretty good.

I thought this was pretty obvious. 

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Yeah, that's why I'm wondering if that is the reason he was willing to waive the clause. He probably realizes it's his last shot considering he didn't seem interested in leaving the area at all

I mean he is barely leaving the area...

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I guess I've just lost track of this thread but I'm saying I would like to have Zajac back.  It's hard to tell how much value he had as part of this trade but it doesn't seem like it was that much based on the rumored returns for Palmieri in which case I hope the benefits of getting the extra 4th? or whatever outweigh not having him work with our young guys for the rest of the season.   Sharagovich and Kuokkanen looked to be developing nicely along side him and if they did get to squeeze in any more practices, I would think he would be our best candidate for Jack to work on his faceoffs against.    

Just now, Nicomo said:

Any other year he would have, but unfortunately he was having a career worst season. 

Agreed. That’s the reason. Should’ve done it last year, but who thought his plAy would fall off a cliff this year??