Devils acquire Siegenthaler from WAS for a 3rd

jagknife

26 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Seen our fair share of this kind of Devils trade in recent years...about as “What the hell, why not?” as it gets.  Wish someone other than nASS was working with him.  

If I’m trying to predict the future, I’m guessing he passes on through within a couple of years, and we’ll be saying “Well, only cost a 3rd-rounder.”  Hopefully he becomes a regular and a pleasant surprise.  

Same here, time will tell what the master plan is here and all that stuff.  On the surface hoping he passes on even sooner and they figure out a way to make more meaningful upgrades to the roster across the board (where necessary).  Rather than filling holes with guys where we have to cross our fingers and hope they turn out to be way more than they have been in the league up until now.  This would seem more like a treading water type move that we've seen in the past. Nothing personal and it certainly doesn't mean this is the only kind of move they're going to make going into next season but we've seen marginal guys on other teams come here and be asked to fill bigger roles.  Again not saying that's the case here but if it is....... Sure he was cheap.  At some point maybe cheap doesn't get us solidly to the next level after all this time. Could it, sure I guess but the odds would be much longer znd at some point you're going to need some big contributors brought in from the outside. 

That said this move by itself means little if anything.  It's a trend or pattern that would bring continued concern.

Edited by titans04
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerrydevil said:

I remember when he had 40-plus points that year we made the playoffs. Thought we had a gem back then. What happened?

He clearly benefited from Hall’s MVP season. 23 of his 44 points were on the PP

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Gunslinger27 said:

Guessing he peaked, lol 

I personally wouldn't write him off until we get a competent assistant* coach running the defense.  Just imo.

I have ZERO faith in Nas.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I know nothing about him, he’s big and he’s Swiss. 

Big, Swiss, with holes...swiss cheese?

More of the same type of moves. It will continue to be an extra long rebuild with these type of moves.  Maybe an unacceptable move. I must see the plan unfold for next season. 

Just now, Brewskies said:

Big, Swiss, with holes...swiss cheese?

More of the same type of moves. It will continue to be an extra long rebuild with these type of moves.  Maybe an unacceptable move. I must see the plan unfold for next season. 

Unacceptable move? That’s silly. We have a ton of draft picks and we needed a defenseman. This is a move that was made so we could trade Kulikov, and maybe Murray, and maybe Vatanen, any of which I expect wil be announced shortly. 

Just now, MB3 said:

The Devils need defensive defenseman. Will Butcher isn't playing, because Will Butcher is a decent right-wing playing defense. 

Honestly, you’d think somewhere along the line some coach of his would have switched him to a forward position. There’s basically nothing about him that says “I’m a defenseman”. 

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Unacceptable move? That’s silly. We have a ton of draft picks and we needed a defenseman. This is a move that was made so we could trade Kulikov, and maybe Murray, and maybe Vatanen, any of which I expect wil be announced shortly. 

I am sorry, did I say "unacceptable move" No I did not. I said "maybe an unacceptable move" then I said a qualifier, "must see the plan unfold next season." How silly of me to think and say that. Thanks for your input. I will wait for the announcement and the future plan to unfold. 

7 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Ya know, I thought your profile pic was a keg. But honestly, it's really helpful to have a trash-bin as your profile pic for continuous trash-bin takes. 

"Unacceptable move", lmao. Yeah, if we held onto that pick we might've lucked ourselves into another Connor Chatham!!!!! 

Thanks for your input. Did I say una....never mind you can read my reply to 804 or just go about being an... Never mind

2 minutes ago, Brewskies said:

I am sorry, did I say "unacceptable move" No I did not. I said "maybe an unacceptable move" then I said a qualifier, "must see the plan unfold next season." How silly of me to think and say that. Thanks for your input. I will wait for the announcement and the future plan to unfold. 

How exactly would a plan unfold next season that would tell you whether trading a current year third round pick was an unacceptable move? That makes no sense. 

Is it better if I say "maybe" you're talking out of your ass?

23 minutes ago, MB3 said:

You hope your 3rd round pick turns into a guy like this. Obviously the jury is still out on some of the more recent picks, but the last time the Devils "hit" on their 3rd round pick was literally a decade ago, when they drafted Blake Coleman. Since then, a bunch of nobodies. Ben Johnson, Ryan Kujawinski, Connor Chatham, Blake Speers, Brandon Gignac, Fabian Zutterland...

The Devils need defensive defenseman. Will Butcher isn't playing, because Will Butcher is a decent right-wing playing defense. 

My comment was more a reflection on the market as it is currently. Fitz has been great at snagging people for low value picks, like Murray for a 5th. 

Guess I am just being greedy.

25 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

How exactly would a plan unfold next season that would tell you whether trading a current year third round pick was an unacceptable move? That makes no sense. 

Do I have to explain everything to you? 

45 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I get what he's saying.

In the big picture it's beyond fantastic that we turned a 3rd round pick into basically a discarded 3rd pair Caps D man.  Now if that guy is going to be a part of our top six next season that's unfortunate because the odds of him making this team any better than it is today or has been over the last several years isn't all that great and if he does it most likely would only be marginal at best. So basically more of the same. 

So kudos for getting something for the 3rd round pick but the end result is most likely adding a meh piece to the puzzle.  It's way too early to see what the team will look like when they take the ice next season so hopefully there's a bigger and much better plan ahead to ice a defence that's much more respectable.  

I am not going to cry over losing a third rounder for this guy.  However, this has Mirco Mueller 2.0 written all over it, especially if Nas is going to be the one coaching him.

Also, maybe I am looking too much into this, but I read that part of the reason why we got him was that he was Swiss and Nico is familiar with him.  That's the same line we got with Mueller as well. Nico is in the first year of a 7-year deal with us.  Are the Devils afraid we are going to lose Nico somehow and we must seek out marginal Swiss players to keep Nico from being lonely?

To me, there's two ways to look at this:

1) As the Devils accumulate young players to build around and bring up, they've become a bit of a holding tank for expendable players that can be had on the cheap...which often makes such moves harder to criticize because it's not like they hurt all that much if they don't work out.  At the same time, watching the Devils lap up good teams' castoffs is getting a tad wearisome.  

2) MB3 brings up a fair point...assuming the Devils had hung onto that pick and used it to draft someone, were the chances all that great that they were going to hit a home run with it?  Or even find a serviceable future NHLer?  Siegenthaler does have 97 NHL games under his belt (including 64 last season, meaning he played in all but five games last year)...that's 97 more NHL games than a lot of 3rd-rounders ever play.

I lean towards #2 in this case, even if it's not a sexy or exciting move by any stretch.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

To me, there's two ways to look at this:

1) As the Devils accumulate young players to build around and bring up, they've become a bit of a holding tank for expendable players that can be had on the cheap...which often makes such moves harder to criticize because it's not like they hurt all that much if they don't work out.  At the same time, watching the Devils lap up good teams' castoffs is getting a tad wearisome.  

2) MB3 brings up a fair point...assuming the Devils had hung onto that pick and used it to draft someone, were the chances all that great that they were going to hit a home run with it?  Or even find a serviceable future NHLer?  Siegenthaler does have 97 NHL games under his belt (including 64 last season, meaning he played in all but five games last year)...that's 97 more NHL games than a lot of 3rd-rounders ever play.

I lean towards #2 in this case, even if it's not a sexy or exciting move by any stretch.  

I would be more inclined to go with #2 if #1 didn't seem to be the more common theme with these moves.  The cycle of trading mid-round picks for other team's castoffs is getting very tiresome at this point.

4 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I would be more inclined to go with #2 if #1 didn't seem to be the more common theme with these moves.  The cycle of trading mid-round picks for other team's castoffs is getting very tiresome at this point.

I'm with you, these moves are becoming very meh for me.  But I'm willing to roll the dice on this one.  The fact that he played in most of the games last season for a good team (and appearing to hold his own) has me hopeful.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm with you, these moves are becoming very meh for me.  But I'm willing to roll the dice on this one.  The fact that he played in most of the games last season for a good team (and appearing to hold his own) has me hopeful.

The thing that worries me the most about this guy is that a large reason why we got him is that we didn't have enough D-men to protect in this year's expansion and he helped fill that hole.  If that is where most of his value is then.......yikes.

I hope I am wrong and that he is not Mirco Mueller 2.0, but I am not holding my breath here.

5 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

The thing that worries me the most about this guy is that a large reason why we got him is that we didn't have enough D-men to protect in this year's expansion and he helped fill that hole.  If that is where most of his value is then.......yikes.

I hope I am wrong and that he is not Mirco Mueller 2.0, but I am not holding my breath here.

Mirco cost a little more too...a second-rounder and a fourth-rounder...this one feels lower-risk at least.  MB3's post is telling (in terms of how few third-rounders have played many games).  We'll see how the whole protected D shakes out.  

38 minutes ago, MB3 said:

It's a meh move, but a 3rd round pick is a meh pick.

Right. It’ll never be an unacceptable move. It’s taking a shot. Taking a shot with a 3rd. A 3rd doesn’t always make it to the NHL, you got an NHL player who is also friends with a guy you want around long term. 

Maybe it winds up bad, but it’s obviously an acceptable risk. 

• Like 1