Devils acquire Siegenthaler from WAS for a 3rd

jagknife

There is something like a 25% chance that a 3rd round pick will play a significant number of games in the NHL.  Can't understand how someone would rather make that pick instead of trading it for someone who has played a significant amount of games in the NHL, is the same age as the core of the team, and plays the position the team is looking for.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crisis said:

There is something like a 25% chance that a 3rd round pick will play a significant number of games in the NHL.  Can't understand how someone would rather make that pick instead of trading it for someone who has played a significant amount of games in the NHL, is the same age as the core of the team, and plays the position the team is looking for.

And on top of that, he’s friends with you #1 center and captain. Not that a deal should be made on that basis, but if the collateral result is making Nico happy, even better. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

And on top of that, he’s friends with you #1 center and captain. Not that a deal should be made on that basis, but if the collateral result is making Nico happy, even better. 

Nico is locked in for 6 more years and getting over $7M per.  It's not like he has much options now to take his ball home.  Nico's happiness (or unhappiness) should account for 0% of any moves we make.

9 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Nico is locked in for 6 more years and getting over $7M per.  It's not like he has much options now to take his ball home.  Nico's happiness (or unhappiness) should account for 0% of any moves we make.

I specifically said a deal shouldn't be made on that basis. But isn't it a nice cherry on top if a move keeps your top guy happy? 

8 minutes ago, titans04 said:

not on the ice it's not. But that seems to matter less and less these days.

When you're a losing team that handed out 1 year contracts to 3 defensemen to try to shore up a weak blue line, this is the result. Looks like Ryan Murray lost the lottery, he gets to stay.

Edited by Jerrydevil
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

When you're a losing team that handed out 1 year contracts to 3 defensemen to try to shore up a weak blue line, this is the result. Looks like Ryan Murray lost the lottery, he gets to stay.

Its not saying much, but he could also be saying thank god its not Buffalo.

• Haha 1

draft pick is lottery ticket. 3rd round pick is a lottery ticket with a small chances(like MB3 said we pick 21 players in 3rd round  in the past 15 years and only 2 spend more games). And if this 3rd rounder is nhler we should wait him 3-4 or even 5-6 years. Zacha is 24 yo, Hischier is 22. We have enough teenagers and picks, and if Devils have a chance for a lottery ticket like Jonas with better chances(he spent 97 games in NHL, 19 of our pick didnt do that) in better age - they should try trades like that. 
I like this move llittle bit more than 1st round for Palms\Zajac. Because I dont know how long this pick will play before try to play in NHL. And there is no certainty that he will be able to spend at least some time in the NHL. I really hoped Fitz could get Wilde from the Islanders. Or Bear\Bouchard from oilers. They and Liljegren were my wishes for this "holiday deadline".
I sincerely hope Fitz can capitalize on this first islanders pick into someone more real, closer to the NHL and our core.

Edited by Guadana

On 4/13/2021 at 3:06 PM, Guadana said:

draft pick is lottery ticket. 3rd round pick is a lottery ticket with a small chances(like MB3 said we pick 21 players in 3rd round  in the past 15 years and only 2 spend more games). And if this 3rd rounder is nhler we should wait him 3-4 or even 5-6 years. Zacha is 24 yo, Hischier is 22. We have enough teenagers and picks, and if Devils have a chance for a lottery ticket like Jonas with better chances(he spent 97 games in NHL, 19 of our pick didnt do that) in better age - they should try trades like that. 
I like this move llittle bit more than 1st round for Palms\Zajac. Because I dont know how long this pick will play before try to play in NHL. And there is no certainty that he will be able to spend at least some time in the NHL. I really hoped Fitz could get Wilde from the Islanders. Or Bear\Bouchard from oilers. They and Liljegren were my wishes for this "holiday deadline".
I sincerely hope Fitz can capitalize on this first islanders pick into someone more real, closer to the NHL and our core.

The first for Palmz/Zajac was for expiring contracts.    It has no effect on next season.    So I'm happy to grab a first for them; and then either see what we get, or package it to move further up in the draft (or get an NHL player back now)

• Like 2

Also- how did the Oilers get Bear?  They drafted him... in the 5th round, way back in 2015
Wilde was a 2nd round pick in 2018 by the Islanders...

You get picks, you hope some work out...  The odds are, the early picks will be better, but we have players selected across  the draft...      just like us getting Jesper Bratt in the 6th round, or Miles Wood in the 4th...    or Blake Coleman which we got a bounty for last year (3rd round)

• Like 1