GDT- Round 1 of 4: Rags @ Devils 7:00 PM MSG, MSG+

MadDog2020

57 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

They have their place, but at some point, no one wants to hear what "should've" happened or "expected" this or how "if they keep this up, it will turn around"...eventually, even those who are willing to give metrics a look want to see more of a correlation to actual results.  Patience has grown thin, and years and years of struggling will lead to that.    

The main issue I have with that crowd is that they literally think of players as robots.  Hockey is a very tough sports to moneyball as there are a lot of situational changes that happen very quickly in a short amount of time.  It is not like baseball where 80-90% of the actual action of a game takes place between 3 players (pitcher, catcher, batter).  Oh, and whenever the outcome is completely different than what their models show, the go-to is always about how lucky or unlucky the team was.  They're never wrong.

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

They have their place, but at some point, no one wants to hear what "should've" happened or "expected" this or how "if they keep this up, it will turn around"...eventually, even those who are willing to give metrics a look want to see more of a correlation to actual results.  Patience has grown thin, and years and years of struggling will lead to that.    

I don’t even know if they have their place CR.... they used to have ‘their place’. And then nerds who never played sports started running teams across pro sports, and all of a sudden this sh!t has taken on a much bigger role than it should ever have taken on. I have two eyes. I played and coached hockey for several years. I know what my eyes tell me when I watch games. And I don’t need advanced stats to tell me what’s happening. Expected goals? Assists? Shots? Shot attempts? Who fvcking cares. How many ACTUAL goals? Assists? Shots? Shot attempts? Because that’s all that fvcking matters in the end. If I had a dime for every time the Devils ‘dominated the advanced stats’ but lost over the last several years, I’d be typing this message from my beachfront retirement home, and not from the desk at my office. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

I don’t even know if they have their place CR.... the used to have ‘their place’. And then nerds who never played sports started running teams across pro sports, and all of a sudden this sh!t has taken on a much bigger role than it should ever have taken on. I have two eyes. I played and coached hockey for several years. I know what my eyes tell me when I watch games. And I don’t need advanced stats to tell me what’s happening. Expected goals? Assists? Shots? Shot attempts? Who fvcking cares. How many ACTUAL goals? Assists? Shots? Shot attempts?Because that’s all that fvcking matters in the end. 

I have taken significant heat on this board for expressing the same sentiment. 

It's the equivalent of the participation trophy, we didn't win, we're again near the basement in points but look at this it says we're not as bad as our record says we are so let's run with that.  Damn the bad luck that's been around now for how many years?

Edited by titans04
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

I don’t even know if they have their place CR.... the used to have ‘their place’. And then nerds who never played sports started running teams across pro sports, and all of a sudden this sh!t has taken on a much bigger role than it should ever have taken on. I have two eyes. I played and coached hockey for several years. I know what my eyes tell me when I watch games. And I don’t need advanced stats to tell me what’s happening. Expected goals? Assists? Shots? Shot attempts? Who fvcking cares. How many ACTUAL goals? Assists? Shots? Shot attempts? Because that’s all that fvcking matters in the end. If I had a dime for every time the Devils ‘dominated the advanced stats’ but lost over the last several years, I’d be typing this message from my beachfront retirement home, and not from the desk at my office. 

The most maddening example was that article last week about how bad Zacha’s advanced stats were.  It tried to make the point that he was a drag on line mates and proceeded to use Palmieri’s points when paired with PZ and then when he was moved away.  I swear that if Kyle could execute a simple tap in this year, he would have had 6-8 more goals with Zacha getting the primary assist.  I think there were like three of these in OTs alone, yet Zacha was somehow the boat anchor.   Hell, one of the few goals Palmieri did actually score for us was Zacha banking it off him.   

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

If believing what my eyes tell me makes me a dinosaur, then I guess I’m a dinosaur. The advanced stat sh!t gets real old real fast as the losses pile up. 

^thats where the real frustration is coming from, which is understandable. Besides, it’s not like the advanced stats are always flattering anyway. A lot of the time they do match my eye test, but like anything else they’re only part of the story. To say they have “no place” is just flat out wrong, imo.There’s a reason every major sport looks at this stuff. 

15 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

^thats where the real frustration is coming from, which is understandable. Besides, it’s not like the advanced stats are always flattering anyway. A lot of the time they do match my eye test, but like anything else they’re only part of the story. To say they have “no place” is just flat out wrong, imo.There’s a reason every major sport looks at this stuff. 

To give nerds a way to feel like they are knowledgeable about sports. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

To give nerds a way to feel like they are knowledgeable about sports. 

Ok Ogre. 

Anyway, I don’t see why the folks who don’t put any value in advanced stats can’t just scroll right past them. Some people find them interesting to look at, even if it’s just casually. I personally think it’s something better to talk about rather than just harping on how everything sucks 24/7, and what the final score was. 

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Ok Ogre. 

Anyway, I don’t see why the folks who don’t put any value in advanced stats can’t just scroll right past them. Some people find them interesting to look at, even if it’s just casually. I personally think it’s something better to talk about rather than just harping on how everything sucks 24/7, and what the final score was. 

Am I a dinosaur or an ogre? Or both?

The only thing interesting about advanced stats is watching idiots try to explain how we lost 8-0 but had a better game than our opponents. Newsflash, we didn’t and any stats that say we did are obviously useless. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Ok Ogre. 

It seems like we have the same discussions about the same things and same players over and over again a few times a year. How many times have we had it out over the advanced stats now?

*By the way I also meant to quote you on my Homer Simpson gif above, nerd.

EDIT: I don't really get the reason for all the hostility. If you don't subscribe to the idea of advanced stats then just ignore them. A sign of the times with how salty people are around here.

Edited by NJDevils1214

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

It seems like we have the same discussions about the same things and same players over and over again a few times a year. How many times have we had it out over the advanced stats now?

That’s ALL we ever do. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Am I a dinosaur or an ogre? Or both?

The only thing interesting about advanced stats is watching idiots try to explain how we lost 8-0 but had a better game than our opponents. Newsflash, we didn’t and any stats that say we did are obviously useless. 

This Ogre

image.gif.76554a3a54eca623552b7d1c0b577de6.gif

Anyway, I find someone telling someone else what they’re allowed to find interesting pretty obnoxious. Probably how you guys feel about the stats themselves ironically. 

4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

*By the way I also meant to quote you on my Homer Simpson gif above, nerd.

EDIT: I don't really get the reason for all the hostility. If you don't subscribe to the idea of advanced stats then just ignore them. A sign of the times with how salty people are around here.

That would seem like the logical thing to do, yes. 

8 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

This Ogre

image.gif.76554a3a54eca623552b7d1c0b577de6.gif

Anyway, I find someone telling someone else what they’re allowed to find interesting pretty obnoxious. Probably how you guys feel about the stats themselves ironically. 

Did anyone tell anyone what they’re allowed to find interesting?? What the fvck are you talking about?