Jump to content

GDT- Round 1 of 4: Rags @ Devils 7:00 PM MSG, MSG+


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The return of our Swiss savior. Lose every other game left this year and I don't really give a sh!t -- just win these 4 games. LGD!

Severson is a true Devil if for no other reason than his sheer hatred of the Rangers.

I watched most of last night's game.  Difference between the Rangers was that their best players got it done, ours didn't. After the game, the advanced stat cult was out in full force showing gra

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Simply because in life when you're getting paid a certain salary it comes with a certain expectation and if you don't meet these expectations it's fair that it's pointed out. Doesn't really matter if there's a cap or not.

It's not because it's well within my budget and not setting me back financially that i should be fine making monthly Bugatti car payments for a Honda Civic. 

Also at the very very least, if anyone is getting paid top salary like this with years of experience. I would expect that he's not making the same mistake i could expect from a new employee fresh ouf of college

Any player who takes the hard minutes and assignments is going to have issues. If you put Smith in that position, his game would show plenty of warts. PK is passed the point of needing to be protected. He can go out there and take the lumps. He and Severson are averaging 22 minutes a game. Who else are you gonna give the minutes to? Butcher, Carrick, Tennyson? I wouldn't put any of the young defensemen in Bingo into this disaster. Let them stay there until Nas has been fired into the sun. I don't want Nas anywhere near Walsh, Bahl, Okhotyuk, etc. 

Also PK's salary means nothing. We just cleared about $12 million in salary between trades, waivers, and buyouts. Its an absolute non issue. This team won't be worrying about the cap until long after PK is gone. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Admittedly I did not watch tonight's game since I'm still at work but I think PK has been fine this year.  He's settled into quietly eating the tough minutes and while he's being severely overpaid, his contract ends after next year long before we need the cap space.   Why let a rookie get absolutely destroyed with tough minutes and possibly hurt his development curve when you can overpay PK to be the guy to get caved in on with the heavy lifting?   

PK has played ok this year. He plays dump ins as well as any defenseman in the league. The way he gets to the puck and positions himself to leverage off large forecheckers is top of class. Then he skates it out under heavy pressure with confidence.  Does that go totally unnoticed here???

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Simply because in life when you're getting paid a certain salary it comes with a certain expectation and if you don't meet these expectations it's fair that it's pointed out. Doesn't really matter if there's a cap or not.

It's not because it's well within my budget and not setting me back financially that i should be fine making monthly Bugatti car payments for a Honda Civic. 

Also at the very very least, if anyone is getting paid top salary like this with years of experience. I would expect that he's not making the same mistake i could expect from a new employee fresh ouf of college

I don’t think that analogy works in this case because we acquired PK for pennies on the dollar from Nashville specifically because it had become obvious he was wildly overpaid.  He was pretty clearly their 4th best defenseman at best his last season there and they wanted out.   

I know you’re not a fan of him but if there was anyone that was under the impression we were ever getting a player that justified the salary in that deal, that’s on them.  What we gave up in the trade made that pretty clear. That being said, its possible for him to have both a terrible contract and still be a big upgrade from what we were sending out on D each night.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Devils didn’t trade two firsts and good prospect for subban. Two seconds and couple of meh prospects is a price for 5kk player maximum. Subban play like a good 6mill per year defenseman. And he did his job well. Especially this season. Do you know who hated every overpaid blackskin hockey player? Hitler.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a tid bit of info I’ve noticed . in a great percentage of the devils losses . They have out-shot , out-hit , won more faceoffs and have had less penalty minutes then third opponents. This goes to show the defense has too many breakdowns and /or the goaltending just fukcin sucks and we can’t put the biscuit in the basket . it’s a shame that all these good intangibles aren’t leading to wins . classic example last night 

7FFFD744-20DD-4A26-996D-33CC5EF00FE6.png

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

PK has played ok this year. He plays dump ins as well as any defenseman in the league. The way he gets to the puck and positions himself to leverage off large forecheckers is top of class. Then he skates it out under heavy pressure with confidence.  Does that go totally unnoticed here???

I do agree that PK takes more hate then he generally deserves, and I can't speak for anyone else but personally the things you mention about his game aren't lost on me - his end to end skating his good, from the way he carries the puck from the d m`-zone to into the neutral zone, to the way he breaks into the offensive zone, often times dancing around opponents or dumping it in as you said.  The problem with his game from my eyes is that, from a purely defensive standpoint, I find him to get beat on simple plays more often than he should, whether it's just simply mis-reading what to do on a 2-on-1, or even a 2-on-2 where he doesn't take the right man compared to who is D-partner is taking.  Not to mention the high-risk chances he takes which seems to be far too often (i.e. last night on the final goal when he tried to pass right through an opposing player...very ill-advised and low percentage).  Of course, these issues alone might not be worthy of crucifying the guy as many people here seem to do, but they would probably much more tolerable if he weren't making $9M.  Also, what makes it even less tolerable in my eyes is that the guy's very much a veteran in this league, and the things like mis-playing simple defensive assignments are mistakes that I feel he shouldn't be making at this stage of his career.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by NJDfan1711
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Suck_My_Puck said:

Just a tid bit of info I’ve noticed . in a great percentage of the devils losses . They have out-shot , out-hit , won more faceoffs and have had less penalty minutes then third opponents. This goes to show the defense has too many breakdowns and /or the goaltending just fukcin sucks and we can’t put the biscuit in the basket . it’s a shame that all these good intangibles aren’t leading to wins . classic example last night 

7FFFD744-20DD-4A26-996D-33CC5EF00FE6.png

So if we improve our defense, goaltending, and scoring, we should be fine. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Started out good but the ending kind of sucked. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched most of last night's game.  Difference between the Rangers was that their best players got it done, ours didn't.

After the game, the advanced stat cult was out in full force showing graphs and charts about how we outplayed the Rangers.  Sorry, but that is a prime example of why I cannot take that crowd that seriously.  They really do not understand how silly they sound by declaring in a game where we not only lost, but got shut out.  I cannot begin to count how many losses we have amassed in the past 2-3 seasons where we out-adv stated the other team only to lose.  At this point, they are a broken record and I really don't want to keep hearing about how "unlucky" we are.  If we were to believe them, we probably have had the unluckiest string of seasons in NHL history.

Last night was also another example why Butcher got as little games as he had this season.  He really stinks.

Hughes has definitely looked better since Palmieri is no longer on his line.  Problem is Sharangovich is still learning to shoot better in the NHL and Hughes needs a more talented winger than Kuokkanen on the other side.

I actually started to feel bad for Johnsson last night.  I followed him closer lately and I don't think it's a lack of effort for him.  It just seems like it is mostly mental for him at this point where he is gripping his stick too tightly, pass first shoot second mentality, and just overall not being confident.  It's the only way I can explain him going now I believe 28 games without a goal.  He started getting it going after his first goal but then the COVID shutdown hit the team.  I wonder if he gets going again once he scores a goal.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Johnsson looks like Taylor Hall with normal lips (so 2-Dimensional Hall) cross bred with King Shark. Prove me wrong. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Tonight is the anniversary of the Titanic sinking. It's too bad the team isn't playing, so many great memes being left out to sea. 

titanic night GIF

It's just sick that they could film it in HD... but couldn't bother rescuing all those folks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I watched most of last night's game.  Difference between the Rangers was that their best players got it done, ours didn't.

After the game, the advanced stat cult was out in full force showing graphs and charts about how we outplayed the Rangers.  Sorry, but that is a prime example of why I cannot take that crowd that seriously.  They really do not understand how silly they sound by declaring in a game where we not only lost, but got shut out.  I cannot begin to count how many losses we have amassed in the past 2-3 seasons where we out-adv stated the other team only to lose.  At this point, they are a broken record and I really don't want to keep hearing about how "unlucky" we are.  If we were to believe them, we probably have had the unluckiest string of seasons in NHL history.

 

Advanced stats are nice at helping paint a picture of what's going on, but results are what ultimately matters. When a Game 7 ends in the playoffs, we hear about who got it done and not the expected goals of the second line of the losing team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Advanced stats are nice at helping paint a picture of what's going on, but results are what ultimately matters. When a Game 7 ends in the playoffs, we hear about who got it done and not the expected goals of the second line of the losing team. 

I am just tired of that crowd busting out the charts and graphs after games like last night.  I don't care about how great they did in some metrics, and especially so when we got shut out.  I cannot even begin to name the amount of times this season alone where this has happened, but I am sick of it.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am just tired of that crowd busting out the charts and graphs after games like last night.  I don't care about how great they did in some metrics, and especially so when we got shut out.  I cannot even begin to name the amount of times this season alone where this has happened, but I am sick of it.

Me too. Been hearing this trash for years now. I’m sick of advanced stats. They mean exactly jack sh!t.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Advanced stats are nice at helping paint a picture of what's going on, but results are what ultimately matters. When a Game 7 ends in the playoffs, we hear about who got it done and not the expected goals of the second line of the losing team. 

As I like to say, advanced stats are predictive of what SHOULD happen. If you have the most 5v5 shot opportunities, statistically, you should wind up with the most 5v5 goals or assists. 

The problem I have with them is that what SHOULD happen and what DOES happen are not the same. Not in hockey. There are too many variables to consider most advanced stats predictive of anything. 

If you want to use them to show something like a player’s overall effort, that might work. But honestly, if effort doesn’t turn into anything, what good is that?

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Me too. Been hearing this trash for years now. I’m sick of advanced stats. They mean exactly jack sh!t.

I mean I guess we said the same thing in a different way lol. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

As I like to say, advanced stats are predictive of what SHOULD happen. If you have the most 5v5 shot opportunities, statistically, you should wind up with the most 5v5 goals or assists. 

The problem I have with them is that what SHOULD happen and what DOES happen are not the same. Not in hockey. There are too many variables to consider most advanced stats predictive of anything. 

If you want to use them to show something like a player’s overall effort, that might work. But honestly, if effort doesn’t turn into anything, what good is that?

I mean I guess we said the same thing in a different way lol. 

One of the stats that was mentioned last night was that the Devils controlled 53% of the expected goals last night.  These people should be defenestrated.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

One of the stats that was mentioned last night was that the Devils controlled 53% of the expected goals last night.  

Outstanding!

Spreadsheet hockey, when they start awarding actual points in the league standings for that stuff we will jump way up towards the top of the league. Until then who cares we sit damn near the bottom.

Edited by titans04
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

One of the stats that was mentioned last night was that the Devils controlled 53% of the expected goals last night.  These people should be defenestrated.

Toronto has a league record 15 straight expected Cups. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

One of the stats that was mentioned last night was that the Devils controlled 53% of the expected goals last night.  These people should be defenestrated.

I guess the other 47% were the difference then. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Me too. Been hearing this trash for years now. I’m sick of advanced stats. They mean exactly jack sh!t.

They have their place, but at some point, no one wants to hear what "should've" happened or "expected" this or how "if they keep this up, it will turn around"...eventually, even those who are willing to give metrics a look want to see more of a correlation to actual results.  Patience has grown thin, and years and years of struggling will lead to that.    

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.