NHL Entry Draft Thread - 2021

nessus

1 hour ago, devlman said:

How did it make things worse with expectations? The deals Shero did were the right moves at the time and could’ve worked out in an alternate universe. Because they didn’t work out does not mean that we should not have gone for it and tried to improve the team instead of tanking more.

secondly, how do you know that playoff year didn’t spur Nico and Bratt to take the next step? Who is to say that maybe they fizzle out without that taste of success? We don’t know. It’s not black and white to just say let’s hope for losing til we are ready to compete.

Except i never once said let's hope for losing. You can dig all you want that's never been the point.

My point has always been, let's enjoy the wins, let's not get insanely upset at loses cause in the end it's for the best, let's not make moves to "win now" and trust the process.

When i see fans whining that we've never used our cap or not sign (overpay) this and this free agent. And that they just want SOMETHING done cause they don't have the patience to trust the process. That we've been sucking for too long, rawr raw raawwwr. It WAS going to take a fvcking long time to come back from 2015, we're not late or anything in the process.

And to anser your question. Come on, let's not pretend 4 playoffs games for nico and bratt is the thing that will make the difference in the long run VS landing a special or the right player at the draft. This is just non-sense

Edited by SterioDesign

9 hours ago, MB3 said:

I agree with this sentiment overall but that's just one ping pong ball and not even remotely indicative of how this whole thing works. The Devils wining games after being eliminated got them Zacha instead of McDavid/Eichel/Hanifin; it got them McLeod instead of Matthews/Laine/PLD. In general, it's better for teams to have "moral victories" than actual, ya know, 2-point victories as the season dies down when they're eliminated.

Holtz might work out to be just what we need, but without that winning streak at the end of the year we could've ended up with Stuetzle or Raymond or one of the big defenseman. 

C’mon now, we were terrible down the stretch in 2015 and still were like 7 points higher than the next most terrible team.   We didn’t miss out on a superstar by winning that one game in the last 10.

In 2016,  given that we were going for forwards, we missed out on Tyson Jost and Alex Nylander by going .500 down the stretch, not Matthews 

We missed out on superstars because we picked Zacha over Rantanen and Barzal and McLeod over McAvoy.  Maybe instead of rooting for losses we just make better picks?  

57 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

C’mon now, we were terrible down the stretch in 2015 and still were like 7 points higher than the next most terrible team.   We didn’t miss out on a superstar by winning that one game in the last 10.

In 2016,  given that we were going for forwards, we missed out on Tyson Jost and Alex Nylander by going .500 down the stretch, not Matthews 

We missed out on superstars because we picked Zacha over Rantanen and Barzal and McLeod over McAvoy.  Maybe instead of rooting for losses we just make better picks?  

I’ll add that “we lost out on Matthews” fails because we still would have won the lottery. Losing more games would have improved our odds, but we still could have lost the lottery. As such, winning a few extra games down the stretch MIGHT have cost us Matthews, but it also may not have at all. 

6 hours ago, nessus said:

Alright, we don't have to win every game. Save some for next year, boys. I really don't want to finish ahead of Detroit and have them take Clarke.

There is a bit of a nightmare scenario here, as Detroit's last two games are against Columbus, who are one point above us. If they split that two games and we win both of ours, we will finish above both of them. 

I have been an advocate of winning, but I would still feel better if we were picking no lower than 5th. 

The above is an example of last minute wins maybe costing you on draft day if you don't win the lottery.

The argument that pops up here every year that a few wins cost us a lottery win is as always completely wrong. The draft does not work like that. 

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

Well, the Red Wings and Blue Jackets finish out the season against each other so maybe we can get a few 3 point games.  

The Canucks should pass us.   They are 2 points behind with  6 games in hand.   They get four against the Flames and the others are against Oilers and Jets, both of whom are pretty much locked into their playoff spots already and don’t have much to play for.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nessus said:

Alright, we don't have to win every game. Save some for next year, boys. I really don't want to finish ahead of Detroit and have them take Clarke.

I think Yzerman will not draft RD.

The Wings won in regulation tonight. If the Devils lose the next 2 games (and Vancouver doesn't totally blow it until the end), they will finish third from the bottom, going into the draft lottery with the 4th best odds. I would definitely be okay with this. I think that would put the Devils in a very good position to get one of Clarke or Hughes.

• Like 3

Nice, Wings and Jackets to OT. We want a Jackets win. In that case, the Devils can’t catch either team. Red Wings kept it exciting by tying it up late.

EDIT: Flyers and Caps also to OT. Flyers might still have something left in the tank in case we need to lose to them.

Edited by nessus

2 minutes ago, nessus said:

Nice, now we just need Vancouver to pick up 3 (or 5 if we beat the Flyers) points over their 8 remaining games, and we are 4th from the top, pre-lottery

Hope Vancouver will win a couple and lose one in OT. Would be great to win last season game without a doubt. 

3 minutes ago, nessus said:

Nice, now we just need Vancouver to pick up 3 (or 5 if we beat the Flyers) points over their 8 remaining games, and we are 4th from the top, pre-lottery

If they can’t even do that, they should just tear it all back down again and send Quinn Hughes our way.   

I really want Clarke. We have Smith and a lot of home stand LD. We dont need another LH-puckmover. We dont have good partner for Smith for the future, I dont understand where devils will find a couple for him and L.Hughes. On the other hand we have Bahl, Vuko, Okho, may be Murray, Misyul, even Zaitsev to play with Sevs and Clarke. If devils will draft L Hughes, with Smith in the basket i dont understand what Devils will do with this bunch of home stand LD`s. And we have Shakir.
Clarke has great season and I hope we're lucky enough to have him by the time we choose him.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Guadana said:

I really want Clarke. We have Smith and a lot of home stand LD. We dont need another LH-puckmover. We dont have good partner for Smith for the future, I dont understand where devils will find a couple for him and L.Hughes. On the other hand we have Bahl, Vuko, Okho, may be Murray, Misyul, even Zaitsev to play with Sevs and Clarke. If devils will draft L Hughes, with Smith in the basket i dont understand what Devils will do with this bunch of home stand LD`s.
Clarke has great season and I hope we're lucky enough to have him by the time we choose him.

Trade one for a RD

6 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

On a great team, which I hope we will become, I see ty smith as a second pairing guy.  Maybe we address RD through free agency?   Dougie Hamilton?   Take best d-man available IMO

I think Larsson is more realistic case for us. If we will sign Hamilton somehow, Sevs days here will come to an end. 

10 hours ago, Guadana said:

I think Larsson is more realistic case for us. If we will sign Hamilton somehow, Sevs days here will come to an end. 

Sev is signed to a good/reasonable contract for 2 years after this.   Why move on from him? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Sev is signed to a good/reasonable contract for 2 years after this.   Why move on from him? 

Like mfitz said, mostly Bad defense and own goals. And I don’t think he will sign this kind of a deal. I think he will sign Mayers/Smidt deal.