NHL Entry Draft Thread - 2021

nessus

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

I usually agree with you but I disagree so much with this entire post. 

I think the Devils need 2 vets on defense and 1-2 forward veterans as well. UFA or trade or offer sheet, I don’t care. 

The Devils absolutely can be a playoff team next year. Playing a real NHL schedule will do a lot. Young teams can take leaps in the offseason; this isn’t an older veteran team where you know what you’ve got. Nico barely played this season, which will help take pressure off Hughes. Shara/Kuok/Jack line looks unreal, imagine with another year of development? This isn’t baseball where elite teams make the playoffs; you just have to be slightly better than the most mediocre team in the sport to make it. 

You disagree not with my opinion/wish, you disagree with my expectations. It’s a different things. I absolutely agree with two forwards vets and two defenseman vets. I just don’t thinks Fits will do it. I can be wrong here, I’m not baba Vanga. 

I don’t think we are playoff team next year, because our special teams svcks, we don’t have good backup and our defense needs to upgrade. There are a lot tasks. I don’t think devils will be bottom 5 team next year.

12 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

i dont know i've been seeing a lot of hype around Clarke. Plus he played really well at the juniors tournament. I think Clarke is gone in the top 3

I get the same feeling.  I think we are going to have either Hughes or Guenther fall to us at 5 if that is the slot we pick in.  I would be fine with either, although I would prefer a D man with our first pick in this draft.

41 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

So we'll know for sure tonight that we're a lock where we are if vancouver win. I mean.... its highly unlikely that they dont get at least one point in their next 5-6 games but still

I think only our team might have accomplished that. 

I honestly didn't think we would have been battling it out with Vancouver this year for third worst team. I thiugh they would be in playoff contention, but they have regressed massively (No Peterson hasn't helped). 

Will be interesting to see how it shakes out between whoever they draft this year and Mukhamadullin.

6 hours ago, Jerzey said:

I think Vancouver already passed us in the standings with the win last night. They have more wins than us and same amount of points.

we have more ROW i think so technically theyd need another point to for the tie breaker

1 minute ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I Will be interesting to see how it shakes out between whoever they draft this year and Mukhamadullin.

Anyone else notice his name fits perfectly into “Ride of the Valkyries”?

You will now. 

42 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

we have more ROW i think so technically theyd need another point to for the tie breaker

32 minutes ago, MB3 said:

We have more ROW than they do. They need to finish a point ahead of us. 

NHL.com and TSN both already have them ahead of us in the standings. Maybe it’s a mistake but I thought ROW was the tiebreaker they use after points and wins.

Edited by Jerzey

I'll be rooting hard for a Vancouver win tonight to lock in that 4th slot for the lottery odds, even an overtime loss will do but the further they can finish outside of the Luke Hughes zone the better.

My only real wish is still that we can get one of the big three defensemen in Power, Hughes, or Clarke, and if we stay in the Top 4 I like our odds at that. There are a handful of wild cards - Edvinsson, Beniers, Guenther - that can push one or two of those guys down, so I really hope we can pounce on one of them regardless of where we're picking. If we can get Luke, that's obviously my preference so we can potentially Niedermayer Quinn Hughes in the future.

The more time that's gone by, the more excited I've gotten about the Islanders pick. They took a little stumble down the stretch and that pick currently stands at 21 which is more like 20 since the Coyotes are being forced to forfeit their pick. I've gotten more excited about the middle portion of the 1st round in this draft class the past few weeks, a lot of intriguing options could be there at 21. If Cole Sillinger is there at 21 I'm doing cartwheels, but there's a more than decent chance we could have our pick of someone like Brennan Othmann, Francesco Pinelli, Fyodor Svechkov, Logan Stankoven, Simon Robertsson, Nikita Chibrikov, Xavier Bourgault, or even Aatu Raty. July can't come fast enough.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CommonDreads said:

The more time that's gone by, the more excited I've gotten about the Islanders pick. They took a little stumble down the stretch and that pick currently stands at 21 which is more like 20 since the Coyotes are being forced to forfeit their pick. I've gotten more excited about the middle portion of the 1st round in this draft class the past few weeks, a lot of intriguing options could be there at 21. If Cole Sillinger is there at 21 I'm doing cartwheels, but there's a more than decent chance we could have our pick of someone like Brennan Othmann, Francesco Pinelli, Fyodor Svechkov, Logan Stankoven, Simon Robertsson, Nikita Chibrikov, Xavier Bourgault, or even Aatu Raty. July can't come fast enough.

Wow...has he fallen off if he’s a possibility for our second pick. I remember when he was the likely #1OA for this draft...

Edited by Nicomo

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Wow...has he fallen off if he’s a possibility for our second pick. I remember when he was the likely #1OA for this draft...

It’s a very real possibility he could be there at 21, there’s a chance he could still slip just inside the Top 15 but he’s almost certainly been passed by multiple forwards (Beniers, Eklund, Guenther, Johnson, Lysell, likely McTavish). He’s a very toolsy player but hasn’t quite put it all together on the ice consistently enough, which I think should sound a lot like Pavel Zacha to a lot of us.

EDIT: Full disclosure, Räty is at 23 right now on my personal board, the rest of the team at FC placed him at 19 in our last ranking. I would take all of those forwards I just mentioned over him at the moment, but that isn’t to say I’d be upset if we took him at 21.

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

I'll be rooting hard for a Vancouver win tonight to lock in that 4th slot for the lottery odds, even an overtime loss will do but the further they can finish outside of the Luke Hughes zone the better.

My only real wish is still that we can get one of the big three defensemen in Power, Hughes, or Clarke, and if we stay in the Top 4 I like our odds at that. There are a handful of wild cards - Edvinsson, Beniers, Guenther - that can push one or two of those guys down, so I really hope we can pounce on one of them regardless of where we're picking. If we can get Luke, that's obviously my preference so we can potentially Niedermayer Quinn Hughes in the future.

Yeah i was thinking about that too that we're getting a pck ahead because of Arizona. I really think we may trade that pick though. I feel now would be a good time for that to maximize a good young player 

Edited by SterioDesign

20 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Doesn’t the fact that Seattle is slipping in with an early pick negate the Arizona forfeiture?   

mmm well not really cause the seattle pick was always going to be there no matter what. Arizona forfeiting theirs is moving up every pick after arizonas pick technically

28 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That would be a good band name lol. EDIT: and of course there’s a band called the Dillinger Escape Plan 🤣

Thats why I said it. To see if anyone got the reference. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1