NHL Entry Draft Thread - 2021

nessus

How is it Jack/Quinn are small, yet Luke is 6'2"-185 lbs?  You know Vancouver fans are also saying, "we gotta draft Luke"!  Whoever Devils pick, half of us will be pissed we missed out, half of us will be happy.  All 4 of those D-men will  likely turn out to be good pro's. After that, I like Beniers if we take a fw.

i just wish there was ANY sort of consensus of say top 1 or 2 lol it's so hard to gauge anything right now.

And we also know that team's scouts probably have a way different ranking on those prospects than what we're seeing out there too (which is also all over the place)

It's just so frustrating for us to be getting the top picks in years where it's pretty meh. It's just the worst timing. And all between generational talent like McDavid, Matthews. Then next year it's Wright and then it's Bedard and Michkov. Watch us get the first overall again, in a year where there's no consensus outside the top 6 lol Ugh

Edited by SterioDesign

When Dwight Gooden of the Mets was a 19-year-old flame-throwing phenom, a relatively successful (but much softer-throwing) lefty named John Tudor said "I'd love to throw a pitch like that just once...just to see what it feels like."

That's how I feel about a player like McDavid...damn I'd like to see a guy like that on the Devils, just to see what it feels like.  A guy who's so good that even surrounded by crap, he'll still wind up with about 100 points in a full 82-game season.

The closest we ever saw to a Devil "stubbornly getting my damned points no matter what" was 2003-04 Elias, and 2017-18 Hall.  A guy like McDavid...he'll do that every damned year, as long as he's healthy.

I know that kind of player is very damned hard to come by, and with the lottery you luck into those types...but just once, man would I like to see a player so good on the Devils, that even single other fan in the NHL wishes that they had him (and that's not to knock any of the special players that have been here in the past, because we definitely saw some, and some of them were here for many many years).  

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i just wish there was ANY sort of consensus of say top 1 or 2 lol it's so hard to gauge anything right now.

And we also know that team's scouts probably have a way different ranking on those prospects than what we're seeing out there too (which is also all over the place)

It's just so frustrating for us to be getting the top picks in years where it's pretty meh. It's just the worst timing. And all between generational talent like McDavid, Matthews. Then next year it's Wright and then it's Bedard and Michkov. Watch us get the first overall again, in a year where there's no consensus outside the top 6 lol Ugh

I get the concept of why you're upset, but its one of those things where it kind of is what it is. I'm glad we won those lotteries and that we got to pick our #1s.

But that no longer applies. With the new rules, a lottery win now could actually take you out of the lottery later, so that isn't good. imagine a generational guy comes up and you would have won the lottery for the 3rd time in 5 years and you can't draft him. 

Edited by mfitz804

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

When Dwight Gooden of the Mets was a 19-year-old flame-throwing phenom, a relatively successful (but much softer-throwing) lefty named John Tudor said "I'd love to throw a pitch like that just once...just to see what it feels like."

That's how I feel about a player like McDavid...damn I'd like to see a guy like that on the Devils, just to see what it feels like.  A guy who's so good that even surrounded by crap, he'll still wind up with about 100 points in a full 82-game season.

The closest we ever saw to a Devil "stubbornly getting my damned points no matter what" was 2003-04 Elias, and 2017-18 Hall.  A guy like McDavid...he'll do that every damned year, as long as he's healthy.

I know that kind of player is very damned hard to come by, and with the lottery you luck into those types...but just once, man would I like to see a player so good on the Devils, that even single other fan in the NHL wishes that they had him (and that's not to knock any of the special players that have been here in the past, because we definitely saw some, and some of them were here for many many years).  

there's 3 guys like that coming in the next 2 seasons. Who knows we may still be there and lucky but i think we'll be a middle of the pack team next season

14 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

there's 3 guys like that coming in the next 2 seasons. Who knows we may still be there and lucky but i think we'll be a middle of the pack team next season

We would be happy with middle of the pack next year. Not very happy, but happy. That would be a huge improvement. 

7 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

Expecting to be picking 5 or 6...  Then just draft shooters

I don’t want them reaching for need but I wouldn’t be at all upset if we used all three picks in the first two round on D-men.  We have a lot of long term holes to fill on the back end.    

11 hours ago, Lateralous said:

I don’t want them reaching for need but I wouldn’t be at all upset if we used all three picks in the first two round on D-men.  We have a lot of long term holes to fill on the back end.    

we need more goals from anywhere and everywhere.. Gotta hit on a sniper eventually

Edited by EdgeControl

3 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

we need more goals from anywhere and everywhere.. Gotta hit on a sniper eventually

Between Foote, Holtz and Mercer, we have a lot of potential answers from within for that.   I don’t feel we’re anywhere near as deep in the back, especially with potential top 4 guys 

21 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Between Foote, Holtz and Mercer, we have a lot of potential answers from within for that.   I don’t feel we’re anywhere near as deep in the back, especially with potential top 4 guys 

Yep. Our forward situation is “maybe it’ll work out”, defense, not so. 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yep. Our forward situation is “maybe it’ll work out”, defense, not so. 

Yup, defense is pure crap, forwards are just bad. we need to hit this top pick with a solid defenseman and add a decent vet on the back end..  if we get 25to30 extra goals from these 3 newbies we will be ok..

wish the free agency period was BEFORE the draft..  

Devils offense are not bad. Devils end this season with 2.59 gpg. Injured Nico, the youngest offense ever, Hughes played with two rookies. Devils scores 145, chicago scores 159(they are #16 in scoring). 14 goals in 56 games. It’s a one goal in four games. Palms didn’t play well, Gusev was a disappointment, Johnsson... and covid. 
I don’t think devils hardly needs in forwards. Would be good if Devils will sign/trade middle six RW vet, would be great if Johnsson will disappear somehow and devils will also sign/trade middle six LW. 
Hope we will draft Clarke. Power or Hughes will make our future easier anyway. Only one young defenseman play in NHL like future NHL player. We have to much questions in defense.

3 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

Yup, defense is pure crap, forwards are just bad.  

That’s a bit harsh on the O.  I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that just the guys we already have under contract or at least control could grow into a really good offense.   Two years from now, who of the following doesn’t belong in a good top 9?   Hischier, Hughes, Holtz, Zacha, Sharangovich, Mercer, Kuokannen, Foote, Bratt?