NHL Entry Draft Thread - 2021

nessus

4 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

That’s a bit harsh on the O.  I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that just the guys we already have under contract or at least control could grow into a really good offense.   Two years from now, who of the following doesn’t belong in a good top 9?   Hischier, Hughes, Holtz, Zacha, Sharangovich, Mercer, Kuokannen, Foote, Bratt?   

That was my point. There is a fair chance we have a top 9 out of those guys. But aside from Smith, and hopefully Bahl, where’s the future of our defense? Is it sitting in the AHL developing or is it yet to be acquired?

The good ol

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That was my point. There is a fair chance we have a top 9 out of those guys. But aside from Smith, and hopefully Bahl, where’s the future of our defense? Is it sitting in the AHL developing or is it yet to be acquired?

the good old it might and should hopefully work on strategy. Banking on guys who either haven't played in the NHL or haven't proven much of anything over a meaningful period of time in the NHL.  What could possibly go wrong, right?

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Mine too but I wasnt quoting you 

16 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

That’s a bit harsh on the O.  I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that just the guys we already have under contract or at least control could grow into a really good offense.   Two years from now, who of the following doesn’t belong in a good top 9?   Hischier, Hughes, Holtz, Zacha, Sharangovich, Mercer, Kuokannen, Foote, Bratt?   

As of right now we have 3 20 goal scorers and no 30 goal forwards  . we've been in the bottom of scoring stats for what 10 years. We dont have 1 legit allstar..  except for Jack next year...  but they all skate really nice

1 minute ago, EdgeControl said:

As of right now we have 3 20 goal scorers and no 30 goal forwards  . we've been in the bottom of scoring stats for what 10 years. We dont have 1 legit allstar..  except for Jack next year...  but they all skate really nice

#EliteSkating

I feel like we have guys on the edge of breaking out. Adding a guy or two who is a proven scorer probably starts a chain reaction where bunch of guys start meeting their potential. 

As far as defense goes, I’m not sure the same is true. 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

#EliteSkating

I feel like we have guys on the edge of breaking out. Adding a guy or two who is a proven scorer probably starts a chain reaction where bunch of guys start meeting their potential. 

As far as defense goes, I’m not sure the same is true. 

No doubt we take a top defender this year who will also be best available player, and we absolutely  need to sign a good vet Dman..  that will help us get to average

• Like 1

Just now, EdgeControl said:

No doubt we take a top defender this year who will also be best available player, and we absolutely  need to sign a good vet Dman..  that will help us get to average

I would accept “average” next season. That would be like a 50% improvement. 

• Like 2

I’m still a BPA guy, particularly when it comes to early first rounders. And with that in mind, Clarke is still my favorite player in this draft. He’s so advanced in the offensive zone for his age. I would take him first overall. 

As of right now, my second favorite player is actually William Eklund. I wonder whether he would be discussed more favorably if he were a couple inches taller. I think Eklund is such a smart player, and he really seems to be proficient in nearly all aspects of his game. Lots of teams are probably regretting skipping on Lundell last draft, and I could see the same thing happening with Eklund this year. I really have him neck and neck with Luke Hughes because Hughes is really tough to evaluate.

It would make sense for the Devils to target defense in this draft, but if Power, Clarke, and Hughes are off the board, I would rather them take Eklund here and then hope for one of the next tier defensemen to be available at the Isles’ pick. I feel that Edvinsson is a slight reach in the top 6. There should still be some good options at around 20: Svozil, Lambos, Ceulemans, to name a few.

• Like 2

There's a currently a ~33% chance we stay in the Top 4, ~80% we stay in the Top 5, if we stay there I think there's a fairly good chance we'll be able to get one of Power, Hughes, or Clarke. I agree with nessus, I think Edvinsson is a bit of a reach if one of those three aren't there, so I would prefer looking the way of Beniers, Eklund, Kent Johnson, or Dylan Guenther in that situation.

I'm just really hoping we can grab one the big defensemen with our first pick because I'm just more enthusiastic about the forward options in the early-20's than the defense options. Ceulemans is my favorite after that top tier or d-men, but something tells me he's probably gone before our second pick. Lambos, Svozil, or even Jack Peart would be options but I would rather have the luxury of being able to take one of the forwards there. Brennan Othmann would be an awesome grab at the Isles pick.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If I am team #1-3, I’m probably making a call to the Devils to see how interested in Hughes they are and seeing if I can exploit that by making them trade up. 

Then hang up and call Vancouver

1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Not that we'd ever find out, but watch us get the 1OA in the lottery draw, and Arizona gets 2OA so they have to re-draw and we wind up dropping.  That would be the perfect "fvck you" from the hockey gods.

Pretty sure Arizona just forfeits the pick and the next team in the order drafts. 

7 hours ago, nessus said:

I’m still a BPA guy, particularly when it comes to early first rounders. And with that in mind, Clarke is still my favorite player in this draft. He’s so advanced in the offensive zone for his age. I would take him first overall. 

As of right now, my second favorite player is actually William Eklund. I wonder whether he would be discussed more favorably if he were a couple inches taller. I think Eklund is such a smart player, and he really seems to be proficient in nearly all aspects of his game. Lots of teams are probably regretting skipping on Lundell last draft, and I could see the same thing happening with Eklund this year. I really have him neck and neck with Luke Hughes because Hughes is really tough to evaluate.

It would make sense for the Devils to target defense in this draft, but if Power, Clarke, and Hughes are off the board, I would rather them take Eklund here and then hope for one of the next tier defensemen to be available at the Isles’ pick. I feel that Edvinsson is a slight reach in the top 6. There should still be some good options at around 20: Svozil, Lambos, Ceulemans, to name a few.

For me, I hope not! No, please no more small/skilled swift Swedish fw's. Isn't Boqvist, Bratt, & Holtz enough?  Josefson's 2.0.  (I'm not saying this in racist way)

A No.American player that has some grit/balls, not another perimeter player.  And I know he had some "short-lived-chemistry" with Holtz early this year. Let's not anoint him Peter Forsberg just yet.

Just now, RunninWithTheDevil said:

They were already forced to forfeit it, but if they still wind up getting the 2oa or higher in the lottery, they do a re-draw

If they had to forfeit, why would they even be in the draw to begin with? Just to maintain everyone’s odds?

If Arizona is selected for one of the lotteries, it's just a re-draw for that selection.

If, for example, the Devils won the first drawing and then Arizona's numbers came up for the second selection, that wouldn't negate the Devils winning the first selection, they would just re-draw for the second selection.

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

the goal is for arizona to learn a lesson. And the best possible way to do that is for them to actually see their balls pop.

Now I want to let them keep their draft pick and just pop their balls. 

• Haha 1