NHL Entry Draft Thread - 2021

nessus

Just now, SterioDesign said:

To be honest i'm not even sure if i'd want the first overall this year. I think i'd be very happy with a top 3 pick guaranteeing one of Power, Clarke or Hughes since i'm not even sure which i'd pick if i had the first overall

Agreed.  That would also take us out of the running for the 1OA next year 🙄

18 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

To be honest i'm not even sure if i'd want the first overall this year. I think i'd be very happy with a top 3 pick guaranteeing one of Power, Clarke or Hughes since i'm not even sure which i'd pick if i had the first overall

Yeah I’m good with top three. I don’t need to have #1 overall this year. 

Edited by MadDog2020

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah which IF we're up for it in the next 2 years. those are the years to get it

Yep. Wright and Bedard. #2 would be great in 2023 too, that Russian kid (can’t remember his name now) is also awesome.

Edited by MadDog2020

Odds for each draft position:

1st: 10.6%

2nd: 10.5%

4th: 12.3%

5th: 44.0%

6th: 22.5%

I'll take it: 77.5% chance of drafting in the top 5, and roughly a 1/3 chance of drafting in the top 4.

Also, Vancouver has an 11.5% chance of drafting in the top 2 (compared to the Devils' 21.1%). 

@mfitz804is right about the restrictions on winning the lottery, it wouldn't affect the winner this year. Still an odd year to win though, because a few of the prospects expected to go in the top 5-10 don't exactly seem like high ceiling guys, more so high floor (Beniers, Edvinsson, arguably Power). Then after Hughes and Clarke, there looks to be a bunch of higher upside/lower floor guys in the teens to twenties range. Could be good if one of those guys drops to the Isles' pick.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yep. Wright and Bedard. #2 would be great in 2023 too, that Russian kid (can’t remember his name now) is also awesome.

yeah. I'd gladly and happily take another (a last one) losing season like this one if it meant that we can land one of those 3 guys honestly, they are truly special

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Agreed, if it limits out chances of picking 1st down the line then I would rather not win this year. Especially when there isn't even a concensus top 10. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

it just occurred to me that if we do draft Luke that they'll have to do the whole J. Hughes 86 and L. Hughes 43 or wtv on their jerseys. Which sucks

I know the Sedins did that, but other brothers like Scott and Rob didn’t, no? 

6 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

it just occurred to me that if we do draft Luke that they'll have to do the whole J. Hughes 86 and L. Hughes 43 or wtv on their jerseys. Which sucks

It’s stupid. You know how you tell them apart? By the different fvcking numbers. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I know the Sedins did that, but other brothers like Scott and Rob didn’t, no? 

I know the Staal brothers did it in carolina too. Eventhough Eric has been there his whole career to that point.

Its not that much of a big deal but i imagine that it MAY be annoying for jersey collectors

Edited by SterioDesign

Some might be annoyed by it, but I would assume that the greater percentage of collectors isn't.  It wouldn't ever stop me from going after a certain player (cost might), but if possible, I'd prefer no initial, just a last name.

This would be weird...can't say I love full first and last names on a jersey (but of course Gordie's sons Mark and Marty were teammates, along with their dad, so guess this situation was trickier):

american-professional-hockey-player-mark-howe-of-the-hartford-whalers-picture-id52448224a8488a6395b50d92954230177a0392f9d01ee463e57413c27c53c3f3d861b07e.jpg

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Well actually i talked with a few jersey collectors last night after posting this and some were indeed annoyed by stuff like that.

So what now?

So you’re saying that you posted that, then conducted a poll of some jersey collectors to get confirmation of that?

Having collected a long time, I see no reason why it would bother anyone. If anything, it adds another dimension and differentiates it from other, pre-initial jerseys and that might make it even more desirable. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Some might be annoyed by it, but I would assume that the greater percentage of collectors isn't.  It wouldn't ever stop me from going after a certain player (cost might), but if possible, I'd prefer no initial, just a last name.

This would be weird...can't say I love full first and last names on a jersey (but of course Gordie's sons Mark and Marty were teammates, along with their dad, so guess this situation was trickier):

american-professional-hockey-player-mark-howe-of-the-hartford-whalers-picture-id52448224a8488a6395b50d92954230177a0392f9d01ee463e57413c27c53c3f3d861b07e.jpg

My high school’s team (which I wasn’t on but played pickup with) had a pair of brothers with the same first initial and they did it this way. I think it’s awful and unnecessary. 

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

My high school’s team (which I wasn’t on but played pickup with) had a pair of brothers with the same first initial and they did it this way. I think it’s awful and unnecessary. 

Yeah it just looks...weird as hell...even if there a "legit" reason for it (like brothers sharing the same first initial).  Like you said, wanna know who's who, just keep track of who's wearing what number. 

There was a terrific pitcher from the 70s and 80s names Vida Blue...while with the San Francisco Giants, he went with just his first name on the back of his jersey.  Not something you see, well, almost ever.

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah it just looks...weird as hell...even if there a "legit" reason for it (like brothers sharing the same first initial).  Like you said, wanna know who's who, just keep track of who's wearing what number. 

There was a terrific pitcher from the 70s and 80s names Vida Blue...while with the San Francisco Giants, he went with just his first name on the back of his jersey.  Not something you see, well, almost ever.

I’m mean honestly, does anyone even look at the names? If you call a penalty, it’s Devils #37, they don’t call him by name.