NHL Entry Draft Thread - 2021

nessus

1 hour ago, Jerzey said:

For some reason I doubt the brothers will have any desire to play with each other until maybe the end of their careers. They probably get compared to each other all of the time and for now would prefer to make a name for themselves on their own.

If we happen to draft Luke I think that would different but I don’t see any of them demanding a trade to play with their brothers any time soon. 

That's not how I interpreted Jack's comments. He seems to want Luke here

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

If the Devils decide that Luke is on the top of their list, do they ask Jack to be at the draft to announce the pick? 

Jack opening the envelope........."The NJ Devils are proud to select..................'wait...wtf?'...............Brandt Clarke from..........................."

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

He was pretty clear about that. 

4 hours ago, Jerzey said:

For some reason I doubt the brothers will have any desire to play with each other until maybe the end of their careers. They probably get compared to each other all of the time and for now would prefer to make a name for themselves on their own.

If we happen to draft Luke I think that would different but I don’t see any of them demanding a trade to play with their brothers any time soon. 

This is very true. Devils fans are just overly sensitive about this kind of stuff because of Niedermayer. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

This is very true. Devils fans are just overly sensitive about this kind of stuff because of Niedermayer. 

Right, it's all PTSD.  The Staal brothers never screwed their teams over to sign with each other.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Right, it's all PTSD.  The Staal brothers never screwed their teams over to sign with each other.

That won’t stop people here from losing their collective sh!t should Luke end up getting drafted by Vancouver.  It will be the biggest overreaction in NJDevs history.

4 hours ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Well what I meant was that I don’t think the brothers are going to demand trades or sign RFA contracts that take them to UFA status ASAP to play with their brothers.

I think Jack and Quinn would love for Luke to join their teams but if they miss out I don’t think it’ll change their minds about playing where they currently are. At least I hope that’s the case with Jack.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I don't think Jack or Quinn immediately look to jump ship to where ever their brother is playing. However, I do think it's very possible that if Quinn hits UFA in 4-5 years and both of his brothers are sitting in Jersey there's a decent chance he would come here to join them. The three of them seem very close, I think if the stars aligned for them to all play with each other in the NHL that would be something they would be interested in. The Staals never did it, but there was never really a circumstance where they would have been able to. Marc and Eric played with each other very briefly for the Rangers, but they didn't have the cap space to keep Eric and Jordan was already locked into a long term contract with the Canes, so it's not like Jordan had the option to leave and join his brothers without demanding a trade. On the flip side, when Eric and Jordan were together in Carolina, Marc was locked into his contract with the Rangers and was focused on playoff runs with them, the stars just never really aligned for the Staals to all go to the same place.

Edited by CommonDreads

I do find it pretty neat, though, that a number of the players that will be available in our range already have connections to current Devils.

Luke Hughes -> Jack
Brandt Clarke -> Graeme Clarke
Matty Beniers -> Played with Jack on the NTDP and U18's
William Eklund -> Holtz's linemate for Djurgarden

Even Jesper Wallstedt was Holtz's teammate at the U20's

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

That won’t stop people here from losing their collective sh!t should Luke end up getting drafted by Vancouver.  It will be the biggest overreaction in NJDevs history.

I can't wait. 

46 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Well what I meant was that I don’t think the brothers are going to demand trades or sign RFA contracts that take them to UFA status ASAP to play with their brothers.

I think Jack and Quinn would love for Luke to join their teams but if they miss out I don’t think it’ll change their minds about playing where they currently are. At least I hope that’s the case with Jack.

If we don't right the ship, Jack will have plenty of other reasons to want to play somewhere else. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

I do find it pretty neat, though, that a number of the players that will be available in our range already have connections to current Devils.

Luke Hughes -> Jack
Brandt Clarke -> Graeme Clarke
Matty Beniers -> Played with Jack on the NTDP and U18's
William Eklund -> Holtz's linemate for Djurgarden

Even Jesper Wallstedt was Holtz's teammate at the U20's

Gotta say, Matty Beniers is an amazing hockey name. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

the canucks are just going to go and lose all their remaining games arent they....

Well obviously...

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

I told y’all. Never underestimate the tanking capabilities of a dogsh!t canadian franchise with nothing to play for.

And something to...not...play for. 

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Vancouver was also absolutely ravaged by covid not six weeks ago, so is anyone really surprised?

I think I know someone who will be lol. 

How is it Jack/Quinn are small, yet Luke is 6'2"-185 lbs?  You know Vancouver fans are also saying, "we gotta draft Luke"!  Whoever Devils pick, half of us will be pissed we missed out, half of us will be happy.  All 4 of those D-men will  likely turn out to be good pro's. After that, I like Beniers if we take a fw.

Posted (edited)

i just wish there was ANY sort of consensus of say top 1 or 2 lol it's so hard to gauge anything right now.

And we also know that team's scouts probably have a way different ranking on those prospects than what we're seeing out there too (which is also all over the place)

It's just so frustrating for us to be getting the top picks in years where it's pretty meh. It's just the worst timing. And all between generational talent like McDavid, Matthews. Then next year it's Wright and then it's Bedard and Michkov. Watch us get the first overall again, in a year where there's no consensus outside the top 6 lol Ugh

Edited by SterioDesign